My delicious 12000

Replica amps built by George Metropoulos himself. Visit PlexiReplicas.com.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

Camilok
Just the numbers in order: 13492

My delicious 12000

Post by Camilok » Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:40 pm

George made this for me:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 022&type=3

I got it yesterday. I feel the need to express how satisfied I am with this purchase.

A little background:

I have a ton of amps; Mesa Mark V, Matchless, rack mount mounted Marshalls in 100w and 200w flavors, ADA and Marshall preamps, a Boogie Maverick, Dumble ODS, Fender twins, blues deluxe, and Soldanos for sauce. I even have, much to my shame a complete line 6 'dream' rig I have in my office so I don't have to walk 150 feet to the studio if I feel like noodeling. Speaker cabs out the wazoo - Marshall 4x12 with scumbacks in the 55 and 75 flavors, birch blues breaker cabs in the 1x12 and 2x12 varieties loaded with a variety of Fluxtones, a de-tuned 2x10 I made that is possibly the best speaker cabinet that has ever lived (and the biggest) and too many more to list. They all have their distinct, unique and delicious characters. Just like people, they have strengths and flaws.

I listed all those to give you guys a frame of reference of my viewpoint on the performance characteristics of my Metro 12000. I have played a ton of stuff with a ton of stuff through a ton of stuff. I'm not over the hill, but I'm certainly starting the long coast down it haha.
First though, I have to mention quickly the packaging the amp came in. George designed it and it is absolute perfection. I think you could jump on it and the cardboard box would not bend more than a few millimeters. Nobody that orders an amp from George need worry about shipping damage. Hell, I think it would survive a car crash. Nice job on that George, innovative and effective.

My daughter's Cello class is winding down and I need to pack up. I'll pick this up later... :rock:

VelvetGeorge
Site Owner

Re: My delicious 12000

Post by VelvetGeorge » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:45 pm

Glad it reached you safely! Those new foam inserts have been 100% so far. I can't imagine a better solution that isn't far bigger and more expensive.

Can't wait to read more...

George
Check out Plexi Replicas for my personal amp builds...

syscokid

Post by syscokid » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:59 pm

Gee... I'm disappointed with you, George. You got too much slack at the cable connection from the Treble pot to the FX-Loop board:
11807677_912218048836310_4490564491518687087_o.jpg
11807677_912218048836310_4490564491518687087_o.jpg (129.79 KiB) Viewed 3250 times
Seriously... Beautiful work here... :toast:
"When I'm on stage and first plug in, and I feel a rush of air in my balls... That's when I know my guitar is sounding good!" -Leslie West

Camilok

Post by Camilok » Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:06 am

My primary (and admittedly short, I grant you) experience up to this point has been with my 12000 plugged into a 55 pound birch blues breaker 2x12 Mojotone cab, loaded with a Fluxtone model 9 and model 10, each is 75 watts. The electromagnets on the Fluxtones allow you to dial down the energy transmitted to the speaker while presenting a constant load. I can dial in the American speaker, or the British Speaker, or any combination of the two and get any volume I want with the amplifier completely dimed out.

I have an Aracom that works great, but after 5-6 db of attenuation the tone does start to change a bit. I can't hear much of a difference in the tone changes on the Fluxtones. Great stuff, check it out.

I started, of course, with the settings on the cab at 100%, allowing a full pass-through from the amp. I was using a 2015 Les Paul Standard on the bridge pickup, and the amp had every setting as high as it would go except the presence. That Les Paul is bright and I was a bit scared. The sound that came out was simply incredible. More than just an audible component, there was a physical sensation that I will attempt to describe. If you have ever had a tooth drilled at the dentist, you know how the vibration of the drill is not confined to your mouth. It is transmitted to every hard part of your body. That is what it was like, the harmonics in the distortion were so pure and pervasive it was like being inside the power tubes and speakers as they attuned themselves to the room. Harmonized with the music of the spheres. It was inescapable and pervasive. The tone was everything I had hoped for, and more...

More later, work beckons.

:vh: