Speaker recommendations for my new (old) 50W Metro?

Replica amps built by George Metropoulos himself. Visit PlexiReplicas.com.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

jdolinger
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Speaker recommendations for my new (old) 50W Metro?

Post by jdolinger » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:47 pm

Hi all,

First post here but been lurking for years. I can now say that I'm the proud owner of a 50W Metro Replica. It is supposedly the first one George built for David Ryan Harris, serial #5001! I've actually had it in my possession for about 6 months now, while I've been in the process of moving and having a new baby, and haven't even gotten a chance to play it yet (still can't believe that). I always wanted to buy one of George's replicas years ago, lived in an apartment and never had a place to play it. Always knew that I was going to move to a house someday where I could crank it up, then Metro stopped making them to focus on the Metroplex... Finally right around the time I was about to move this great looking 50W used head showed up and I had to get it. It's apparently a 1986 bass head, was originally thinking about a 1987 spec, but will give this a bunch of time before I make a decision to switch it.

So I'm finally about at the point where I can focus on this and start playing it a bit but need to get a cab first (only currently have a Mesa 2 x 12 with V30s). I definitely want to get a straight 4 x 12. I'm not looking for anything vintage, and from what I've read, no one is too jazzed about anything new production from Marshall, even the handwired 1960BHW. Sounds like a Metro True Replica is the proper way to do justice to this baby. I'm hoping to keep it under $2000 all told so I'll have to see how the pricing works out once loaded up.

The real question is what kind of speakers to get? I'm basically looking to use this for Eric Johnson type tones (with Echoplex + Tube Driver), Clapton, and typical Aerosmith, Zep, etc. So pretty much classic rock, creamy and aggressive style sounds. Not really chasing the VH brown sound. Seems like Greenbacks are the way to go, but I'm super confused between the new production G12m25 (the Chinese ones), the Heritage G12 20w, and if there is anything to the G12H30. With a 50w, I should be fine to crank it into a 80 or 100 either way, right (but not a 100w plexi if I ever tried something like that).

Can anyone really provide me guidance here? I've watched the speaker shooter George did many times. The best I can tell is what everyone else seems to comment. The G12M Heritage sounds pretty harsh and crappy. They weren't broken in though. Lots of people seem to have positive things to report on the Chinese G12m25 and they sound good on the vid. But I've seen other comments around lots of forums that offer conflicting advice. Lots of people say they are great, especially when broken in and don't worry about the Chinese thing. Others say the fit and finish isn't good and they also sound harsh.

I'm guessing that either way I won't tell the difference and it'll sound fantastic as this is my first plexi! Thanks folks, any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Jason

Scumback Speakers
Supporting Advertiser

Re: Speaker recommendations for my new (old) 50W Metro?

Post by Scumback Speakers » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:25 pm

With a 50w four 25 - 30w speakers will handle the amp just fine. I know when players order my speakers for the tones you're trying to get, it's usually an M75 / H75 mix (G12M & G12H30 pre rola tones from the 60's). I can't help you with a cab, though, you'll need to source that somewhere else since I still haven't found a decent, reliable cab maker in So Cal yet.

Good luck!
Scumback Speakers - Kick Ass Vintage Tone
sales@scumbackspeakers.com
http://www.scumbackspeakers.com
310-833-6632

Colossal
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by Colossal » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:57 pm

I can vouch for Jim's M75/H75 recommendation. I have two M75s on top and two H75s on the bottom wired to 16R in a 69 slant 4x12 (replica) and it is killer with a Plexi. Very warm and musical. Jim provided the speakers broken in on a variac. Really nails a classic Rush/Zep sound.

:rockon:

Scumback Speakers
Supporting Advertiser

Post by Scumback Speakers » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:56 am

Colossal wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:57 pm
I can vouch for Jim's M75/H75 recommendation. I have two M75s on top and two H75s on the bottom wired to 16R in a 69 slant 4x12 (replica) and it is killer with a Plexi. Very warm and musical. Jim provided the speakers broken in on a variac. Really nails a classic Rush/Zep sound.

:rockon:
Thanks Colossal!
Scumback Speakers - Kick Ass Vintage Tone
sales@scumbackspeakers.com
http://www.scumbackspeakers.com
310-833-6632

Colossal
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by Colossal » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:41 pm

Scumback Speakers wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:56 am
Thanks Colossal!
:thumbsup: