Amp Pots (Best)

Replica amps built by George Metropoulos himself. Visit PlexiReplicas.com.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

Classic 59
Just the numbers in order: 7

Amp Pots (Best)

Post by Classic 59 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:31 pm

Who makes the best amp pots available today?

Need to replace a couple in my Amp. What to put in the best.

Thanks!!

danman
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: Amp Pots (Best)

Post by danman » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:05 pm

Most builder use Alpha pots as they have a very smooth feel to them. CTS are also top notch and found in many high end guitars. The most expensive are the PEC pots. I don't like their feel as much but they do have a very smooth taper to them if you need audio taper. With the other brands, there is also the issue of tolerance and % of taper in the audio pots so it pays to do a bit of homework. I usually choose Alpha for my amp builds, PEC for master volume use and CTS audio in my guitars. Valvestorm has all of these pots available for individual sale or in sets for Marshall style builds...http://valvestorm.com/Products/Componen ... /Amplifier

RockinRocket

Post by RockinRocket » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:13 pm

I hate the Alphas. Cheap cheap cheap is what they are. Low cost pot and they usually have lots of oil all over them that makes for even more prepping. I also find them hard to turn.

I prefer CTS because that's what Marshall used starting around 68. The Brass shafts turn easier as well do the dish backs. So lots of options. High quality pot that doenst feel like its going to fall apart like a alpha.

Classic 59
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by Classic 59 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:21 pm

Thank you for the quick reply. ValveStorm has a number of options. What about the PEC 2 watt Mil spec pots. I did not see them on their site. That is what came in my Amp. How does the PEC 2 watt Mil spec compare?

Thank you!!

danman

Post by danman » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:01 pm

I can't comment on the PEC 2 watt as I have only ever used a PEC pot for a ppimv in a 1987 build. They do seem to be a quality pot but I don't like the fact that I can't easily clean them when they get scratchy. Aiken mentions them on his tech page a short way down...https://www.aikenamps.com/index.php/technical-q-a

RockinRocket

Post by RockinRocket » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:53 am

The Pec are a waist of money for a Marshall build. They are different composition than what were in Marshall amps. However the big 2 watt pot casing is similar in size for a JTM if looks are your thing but then you cant solder a buss bar across the back of the Pecs as they as Stainless steel. So ya no need blow your money on Pecs for a Marshall.

bill bokey

Post by bill bokey » Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:13 am

My first clone had PEC pots. I replaced all the pots with Alphas and that made the amp sound much better, much more like a "real" Marshall. Have not yet tried CTS pots but I'll give them a go.

harleytech

Post by harleytech » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:22 am

I too have used Alpha's in all my builds and PEC's for the Master volumes and never had a problem with the Alpha's..
And they're still working great... JMHO... :what:

danman

Post by danman » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:12 pm

CTS are very nice pots but I do like the smooth, heavy rotation feel of the Alphas. For guitar I like the easier turning CTS that some suppliers sell. Both of these companies will make pots with different specs for their larger companies. You will see CTS at suppliers such as Mojo, Dimarzio, Fender and Gibson and they all have slightly different specs for audio taper, tolerance and rotational torque depending on the specs supplied by the companies. Sometimes you need to buy from a few different suppliers to find the perfect volume pot for your guitar. When it comes to amps, I'm usually not as picky but I do like a smooth audio taper when it comes to the volume pots.