New 100watt MV kit arrived

Discuss our latest amp kit.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

chriscash
Just the numbers in order: 7

New 100watt MV kit arrived

Post by chriscash » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:26 am

Got my new 100watt Master Volume kit in today. Haven't had a chance to inventory everthing yet. I'm looking forward to building it though. I've never done this sort of thing before and don't have an electronics background, but I can solder. I may need some help from time to time from some of you more experienced builders! It should be a blast.

SDM
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: New 100watt MV kit arrived

Post by SDM » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:21 am

Welcome to the forum, good luck with your build. A lot of good guys around here to help out if need be. Pics are usually most helpful should a problem arise, that and voltages if you are further along.

flemingmras

Post by flemingmras » Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:44 pm

Welcome...you'll have fun building that kit. Just make sure you're not melting the solder with the iron itself. Use the iron to heat the connection up, and apply solder to the connection, not the iron. Also, on your OT you'll find a white, brown and red wire. The red wire goes to the pair of output tubes that are connected to the "82K ohm" side of the phase inverter, the brown will go to the other pair (white goes to 1 side of the HT fuse). If you get it backwards, the amp will let out a loud "howl" when you switch the standby switch to On, indicating that the OT primary is out of phase. Reverse the red and brown wires if this happens.

Good luck with the build.
There's just that fine line between stupid and clever - Nigel Tufnel

kopiko

Post by kopiko » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:23 pm

If you get it backwards, the amp will let out a loud "howl"
financement automobile | simulation credit | comparatif taux pret auto | calcul voiture une simulation crédit auto, le souscripteur doit remplir des renseignements financement automobile | simulation credit | comparatif taux pret auto | calcul voiture

Skoora

Post by Skoora » Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:13 pm

Measure twice, cut/solder once. Take your time, don't work for too long in one stretch.
I built a 69 kit (my first and only build) and have had no issues with it yet. The only thing I messed up was putting the Vol 1 bright cap on the wrong lugs of the volume pot, making it quite dull sounding. Put it on the right ones and the amp seared to life. Also I was blowing HT fuses when biasing to 70% (about 34mA with B+ of 490). So 70% is by no means the golden figure. I had two very respected amp techs tell me that about 25mA per tube is a better target and my amp has sounded great set at 25mA for a year now. This may be because of the nature of new EL34's vs. NOS

Also if you're new to soldering and feel you have trouble with melting the jacket on the wire, I found using a small cut of shrink tube on the jacket by the bare wire was invalueable to keeping it under control. A simple hair dryer does the trick for shrinking it in place.