Substituting the PrePIMV for a PostPIMV

Discuss our latest amp kit.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

Kramer
Just the numbers in order: 7

Substituting the PrePIMV for a PostPIMV

Post by Kramer » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:45 pm

It's my understanding that the Master Volume on the 2203 and 2204 circuits is a Pre-Phase Inverter Master Volume. If this is not true, just stop here and correct me.

But, I was wondering. Post-Phase Inverter Master Volumes work so well in Marshall amps because there is still a lot of compression in the Phase Inverter. So what sense is there in having a Master Volume that is Pre-Phase Inverter?

Is it possible to substitute the Pre-Phase Inverter Master Volume with a Post-Phase Inverter Master Volume. What are your opinions on the stock Master Volume? Does it sound good? As good as or better than a PostPIMV? How hard is it to simply remove the PrePIMV from the circuit? What are some of the options for a PostPIMV design and which do you all think sounds best? (Rich, Lar/Mar, Metro, Trainwreck, etc.)

I'm not looking to drill holes. I'm not looking to drop one of my speaker jacks. If it is worth it to swap the PrePIMV on the front panel for a PostPIMV then I'd be interested in doing that.

Many Thanks

Alex

demonufo
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: Substituting the PrePIMV for a PostPIMV

Post by demonufo » Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:09 am

Well, since the pre phase inverter Master Volume is the whole concept of the master volume marshalls, I wouldn't like to remove one in favour of a PPIMV.
The PPIMV's work well as attenuation up to a certain level, but for lower levels of playing get too fizzy and buzzy.
At lower levels of playing, despite it's shortcomings the original master volume sounds more like the amp should, if lacking and gain and balls, but at least it doesn't add stuff that shouldn't be there.
I would rather have both if I felt the need to go for a PPIMV, but I don't think I'd be prepared to do a big circuit chop and ditch the original.

Just one opinion among many.
So I like purple, okay!!!!!!

83.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot!

Structo

Post by Structo » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:58 am

Yes you can use both MV's to tailor your tone to your liking at the volume level you want to play at.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!

demonufo
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by demonufo » Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:40 pm

Oh, I meant to say when comparing the Pre PI MV and the Post PI MV, they don't really compare very well at all. One isn't necessarily better than the other, they work very noticeably in completely different ways.
A bit like comparing apples with watermelons.

Yes, they both control the volume level overall, but have completely different effect on the amp and tone.
So I like purple, okay!!!!!!

83.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot!

neikeel

Post by neikeel » Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:41 pm

Both is a great option

I recently built an amp with both and it is really versatile - lets you dial in at relatively low volumes
Neil

Kramer

Post by Kramer » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:25 pm

Thanks demonufo. I was just under the impression that since these are both Master Volumes they would be very similar, but rather the PPIMV would keep the phase inverter pushed and be better at keeping that cranked sound when attenuated. So, I'll probably be trying a few different PPIMV's in my Plexi to see what I like and then use one in conjunction with the stock MV on the 2203. A lot of people like the Lar/Mar which I originally had installed, but did not get to hear since I had removed it to trouble shoot problems with the amp which ended up being an oxidized volume pot.