Hanging grid resistors?

Discuss our latest amp kit.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

rip

Hanging grid resistors?

Post by rip » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:26 pm

when you have a cascaded preamp like in a 2204 or 2203 and you use shielding cable to the grid resistors mounted to the tube sockets, does anyone feel a little bit troubled by them just hanging there?

Anyone else toy with the idea of using a small turret strip to better anchor them?

This is not without problems as well, because of the turret that you've soldered the hanging end of the resistor too you've just created more surface area for potential RF issues.

Any thoughts on the matter?

Rip

rip

Re: Hanging grid resistors?

Post by rip » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:52 pm

I was thinking about just mounting the shield part of the cable like this (below). I'm actually employing this technique for shielded cable I need to use coming off the board to FX loop and PPIMV, shield would slide into the split of the turret and soldered and then pass the conductor to another turret were the components are mounted. I believe RG174 or RG188 (teflon version) will do this well as the diameter of the shield is small.

For the grid resistors mounted to the tube sockets, though, I would just "hook" the end of the resistor, place the shield into the split turret, then solder the inner conductor to the "hook".

What do you guys think? I know its a lot more work, but figure reassurance is worth it for me.

Rip
Attachments
turret.jpg
turret.jpg (27.97 KiB) Viewed 2056 times

Roe
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by Roe » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:22 pm

I'd rather just a resistor with solid legs. In some cases I do connect the wire to something
http://www.myspace.com/20bonesband" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.myspace.com/prostitutes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Super 100 amps: 1202-119 & 1202-84
JTM45 RS OT JTM50 JMP50 1959/2203/34/39

PCollen

Post by PCollen » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:48 pm

rip wrote:when you have a cascaded preamp like in a 2204 or 2203 and you use shielding cable to the grid resistors mounted to the tube sockets, does anyone feel a little bit troubled by them just hanging there?

Anyone else toy with the idea of using a small turret strip to better anchor them?

This is not without problems as well, because of the turret that you've soldered the hanging end of the resistor too you've just created more surface area for potential RF issues.

Any thoughts on the matter?

Rip
If you solder the center conductor to the resistor lead and then shrink-wrap over the joint, center conductor insulation, and resistor, then it is really not just 'hanging there' but has become and integral part of the cable assembly. I have no problem with this.

What you can do is solder the grid resistor to the tube pin such that it is standing up on end. Then take small piece of heat shrink of suitable diameter, place it over the resistor AND tube pin, and shrink it to secure the resistor to the pin. Then solder your shieded cable center conductor to the other resistor lead. This works best with small 1/2 or 1/4 watt resistors, particularly on small 9-pin sockets.