? about wiring 2 conductor Belden - kit calls for coax

Discuss our latest amp kit.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

mad-axeman
Just the numbers in order: 7

? about wiring 2 conductor Belden - kit calls for coax

Post by mad-axeman » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:18 am

Hey all,

I was hoping someone could offer some assistance to me on my Master Volume kit. The instructions call for coax, and indicate the proper wiring of it. However, the cable I have has a blue wire and a red wire surrounded by foil, with an additional bare silver wire.

I think George did this because the 2 conductor is easier to work with (read that in one of the posts here).

I just am not sure how to best wire it up, and would like to verify that it is indeed OK to use here.

Thanks so much in advance,

Stu

VelvetGeorge
Site Owner
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: ? about wiring 2 conductor Belden - kit calls for coax

Post by VelvetGeorge » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:03 pm

Hey Stu, we did replace the coax (which people tended to short when soldering) with the Belden 2 conductor. You can use just one of the conductors (red or black), and use the ground wire where the shield is indicated in the instructions.

george
Check out Plexi Replicas for my personal amp builds...

mad-axeman

Post by mad-axeman » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:18 pm

George,

Thanks so much for the prompt feedback! So I will just ignore the 2nd conductor AND the silver foil shielding over the 2 conductors, I take it? Just cut them back and heatshrink?

Respectfully,

Stu

Kramer

Post by Kramer » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:47 pm

mad-axeman wrote:George,

Thanks so much for the prompt feedback! So I will just ignore the 2nd conductor AND the silver foil shielding over the 2 conductors, I take it? Just cut them back and heatshrink?

Respectfully,

Stu
Yes, trim back the foil shielding and conductor your not using and heat shrink over the end. You should have one of the conductor wires and ground wire sticking out when done.

mad-axeman

Post by mad-axeman » Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:27 pm

Thanks Kramer. I do understand now. I actually went one step further by removing the 2nd wire altogether; I just grabbed one end and pulled it clean out. And of course cut the foil back, too.

I actually considered just connecting them at both ends, and essentially treating them as one wire. Never heard anyone talk about that so I just did as I mentioned previously.