Master volume tone

Discuss our latest amp kit.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

pauldavidson1991
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Master volume tone

Post by pauldavidson1991 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:26 am

What I want to know is:

Is there a massive difference between master volume tone and standard plexi tone (pre master volume)?

also

How effective is the master volume at attenuating volume and sustaining tone?

Cheers

neikeel

Re: Master volume tone

Post by neikeel » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:43 am

If you have the same amp cascaded and non-cascaded and fully cranked they sound pretty much the same to me (I am sure someone will disagree).

The MV amps sound their best with the master turned up to get the power section working properly (ie above 5) but at this point a good 2203 is making your ears bleed. To get usable volumes with good tone you will still need and attenuator, maybe a less exotic one (like a Hotplate or Webber Mass) as you only need -4 or -8db. You can also use a PPIMV as a cheaper method too.

I have been testing some tweaks to my SIR# amp and used a Hotplate, bit of PPIMV and a bit of pre-mv to make things bearable for the rest of the local community! :rock:
Neil

pauldavidson1991

Post by pauldavidson1991 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:26 am

When you say testing your SIR amp with the Hotplate, PPIMV and pre-mv how good was the tone and how loud was it?

are these attenuators the best options or are there better ones ?

How much db's could you take off before losing tone

what about the Van Halen variac mod? could that be put into a 69slp?

And what about the AFD 100 I saw that it had a power dial that lowered wattage an conserved tone. Anyone know how it works ?

Cheers

redgtr

Post by redgtr » Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:35 pm

I build a 12000 with all the coolest tweaks I could find here on the forum. Then build the front end like a 2203 with the master volume again with all the coolest tweaks I could find here on the forum. Then add a Lar/Mar. I crank the two volumes and find a "sweet spot". Then adjust the PPIMV for what ever volume I need. :thumbsup: As far as sound, I had a Faustine attenuator and I liked the PPIMV better so I sold the Faustine. I love this amp! Does anything I want it to. Even at low volumes. It's just a matter of playing with the three volumes. Of course I'm sure I'm not the only here with this setup.