Ed's Frankentstrat - Pickup Height

The man, the band, and everything else

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

allenc5150
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: Ed's Frankentstrat - Pickup Height

Post by allenc5150 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:13 pm

Marshall SL12301 wrote:this is about the same as i set my SH5 custom
While that photo is a great reference for early Frankie pickup height, the retina-scarring 70s rock star bulge is a high price to pay for the information.
"It is man's sympathy with all creatures that first makes him truly a man." - Albert Schweitzer

rgorke
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by rgorke » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:37 pm

Here is a picture of how a replica Franky has the pickup set. This is the guitar at the Smithsonian.
Attachments
Franky pickup height.JPG
Franky pickup height.JPG (57.7 KiB) Viewed 1664 times
"If you make a mistake, do it twice and smile and let people think you meant it." Jan Van Halen.

Ted B

Post by Ted B » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:26 pm

Makes sense to me. The rewound PAF with small ceramic or A2 gets set very close to the strings to maximize output and sharpen attack. I set all my PAF guitars this way.

The earlier pickup(s) with large ceramic magnet got backed off, ostensibly to get a clear signal and reduce string pull. I have to say though, I am not impressed with a DSD set at 0.25" (10mm) from the strings. I'm not really getting a louder signal at that distance than my PAF guitars with pickup set to 0.125" (4-5mm), nor am I getting a much thicker or ballsier sound when set at that distance. I presume others are positioning it differently.

YMI5150?
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by YMI5150? » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:41 pm

i've got my DSD .10" from my strings and have actually considered bringing them closer for the VH1 chainsaw buzz i"m looking for.

allenc5150

Post by allenc5150 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:50 pm

I have a Stew Mac Golden Age (Alnico V) in my Frankie and it's as close to the strings as you can get without touching. Conjures up a Fair Warning vibe to my ears.
"It is man's sympathy with all creatures that first makes him truly a man." - Albert Schweitzer

mapat

Post by mapat » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:26 pm

halen wrote:Ive always set my pickups close to the strings for the Van halen sound..To set them far away from the strings never made much sents to me.
Do you do this even with ceramic pickups like the SH-5 or the Super D?

What do you guys think, is the commonly-cited fear that the pull of the powerful ceramic magnets will cause you
to lost sustain overblown?

Marshall SL12301

Post by Marshall SL12301 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:31 pm

mapat wrote:What do you guys think, is the commonly-cited fear that the pull of the powerful ceramic magnets will cause you
to lost sustain overblown?
Depends on the pup in question? What i go by is i take a piece of metal and test how strong the magnetic pull is, even though the dimarzio DSD's have that larger ceramic mag they also use those hex poles which focus the magnetic field different than screws/slugs do.
sustain is caused by the vibrating strings and magnetism is a factor to how long the string will vibrate.
I generally dont set mine too close no matter what because the tone becomes cloudy/fuzzier when the pu's is set too high,use your own ears :thumbsup:
R.I.P Mark Abrahamian, You will be remembered!