EVH on "Beat It"

The man, the band, and everything else

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

rgorke
Just the numbers in order: 13492

EVH on "Beat It"

Post by rgorke » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:42 pm

Hard to believe it has been 30 years.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/11/30/showbiz/m ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"F-ing Blah, blah, blah"
"If you make a mistake, do it twice and smile and let people think you meant it." Jan Van Halen.

Bore Em at the Forum
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: EVH on "Beat It"

Post by Bore Em at the Forum » Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:31 am

It would have been nice to hear Ed play out a little more over the years, for sure. I agree with Roth in that, it wouldn't have been cool for him to whore his sound out for other artists, but things like Beat it and the Brian May thing certainly were exciting diversions for us fans at the time.

mightymike
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by mightymike » Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:46 pm

I would have loved to hear more songs with EVH and MJ.. MJ may have been a freak, but there was undeniable chemistry in that song. Think of the funky timing in Unchained when they go into the part where they say, "Bugsy never missed me", or Mean street and picture MJ belting that out . EVH funked up the rock, and MJ had the kind of voice that could have done a rock/funk album. He didn't just do the "eee hee" sound. Maybe I'm alone on this, but I bet there would have at least been a couple great songs on that if they went the Mean Street/Unchained route. Also would have loved to hear an SRV/MJ or SRV/EVH collaboration :hide:

EddyInChicago

Post by EddyInChicago » Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:21 pm

mightymike wrote:I would have loved to hear more songs with EVH and MJ.. MJ may have been a freak, but there was undeniable chemistry in that song. Think of the funky timing in Unchained when they go into the part where they say, "Bugsy never missed me", or Mean street and picture MJ belting that out . EVH funked up the rock, and MJ had the kind of voice that could have done a rock/funk album. He didn't just do the "eee hee" sound. Maybe I'm alone on this, but I bet there would have at least been a couple great songs on that if they went the Mean Street/Unchained route. Also would have loved to hear an SRV/MJ or SRV/EVH collaboration :hide:
+1 :thumbsup:

halen795

Post by halen795 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:25 pm

Mightymike,
I couldn't agree more! MJ was an odd cat, but so is ed!!! That is what makes them such great musicians... Take songs like Dirty Diana with Steve Stevens; that is some timeless stuff that we just don't hear anymore. I enjoy Brian May and everything he has contributed to music, but a combination like Ed and MJ would have had a special magic for sure!

mapat

Post by mapat » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:32 am

Really nice, gracious interview from Ed.

He refers to MJ as being a "musical giant"... It's nice to hear Ed, a musical giant in his own right, give props to another artist.

If anything's ever bugged me about Ed, it's his lack of acknowledgement of other artist's talent, like when he talks about Jimi and seems to reduce his genius, artistry and innovation as "using a bunch of effects."

IMO, Jimi's only peer in rock guitar is Ed, and vice-versa, so it would've been nice to hear him be honest about Jimi's immeasurable contributions.