Lotus EVH guitar ? Cheap !

The man, the band, and everything else

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

JimiJames
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Lotus EVH guitar ? Cheap !

Post by JimiJames » Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:32 am

I don't recall this? M a n is this cheap...What's with the paintjob ? Factory ? No way. right ?
Looks decent for what it is ... but plywood tones.
Click for eBay.

Beavis

Re: Lotus EVH guitar ? Cheap !

Post by Beavis » Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:07 pm

I have one of those! I got it in 1984 at a shop in downtown Cleveland.

Yes, that is factory paint! I re-painted mine bumble bee style though. I've raided parts here and there off it and it hasn't been playable forever. It was my first guitar and I didn't have much time at that time to learn to play so I really have no idea how it plays/sounds.

That eBay one is the next town over from me. I'm gonna have to watch this!
"Humanoid's in trouble and it's scared out of its wits."

julkke
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by julkke » Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:53 pm

Well it looks nice on the wall if it turns out to be crap :P

vanhalen5150
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by vanhalen5150 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:31 am

Yuck.
12000 Metro Kit

dirtycooter

Post by dirtycooter » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:55 pm

Looks good until you get to the horns then its like a bad case of ....wtf?

I really wish a decent super strat was available with a non floating floyd.
Esp/Ltd makes one thats relic'd. Not sure but I think its non floating and its really cheap.

To all manufacturers-STOP FLOATING TREMS :roll: :lol:

mr.twistyneck

Post by mr.twistyneck » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:39 pm

Lotus is a generic brand that is distributed through Davitt & Hanser, and possibly Kaman; maybe a few others. I used to sell the crap out of Lotus gear back in the late '80s to kids who had limited budget. the electrics were usually milled 'n' filled - so at first glance a nice paint job - but if you drilled another hole for a new pot, you'd notice the finish was extraordinarily thick to cover up finish inconsistencies. some of those plywood beasts weighed a ton.

the tremelo on this one was uber-common back in the '80s - a pot metal whammy with fine tuners. it was a really bad idea to float these -but if you got your strings stretched they worked okay. the fine tuners had incredible range, even moreso than a Floyd. The guitar in the pciture has one of the original locking nuts - but somebody has stuck what appears to be a piece of wood or plastic on top, forgoing the original clamps. so yeah - wow - a blast from the past indeed.

Bore Em at the Forum

Post by Bore Em at the Forum » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:07 am

I had one. The trem on it was an import knock-off of the Rockinger. Headstock was very Kramer-ish.

Neck had sort of a V-carve - it actually played well and stayed in tune. I can see it being a cool guitar for the young kid on a budget......

Not sure what they were thinking on those "horns" on the stripe paint job, though!

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:44 am

I had one back in the spring/summer of '84. It had a little bit of fret buzz, cause it was set up wrong. It was fairly heavy with THICK paint (there were a couple of cracks in the paint). I had just turned 13 and it was cool to me then. I think my mom and dad paid around $160 0r $170 for it used. I sold it the first week of summer vacation to a older guy (he was 16) for $100. I took that money and hounded my mom and dad for a Gibson Les Paul custom 'Silver Burst'. I got it used for $500 (it was a '78 to '80 model I suspect ). I had it for one day, and decided that I didnt look cool with it in front of the mirror in my room (and the fact that it was SO heavy). I got my money back from the store I bought it at, and later that month, I bought the guitar that is STILL my main ax, a Tokai TST-56 strat.
Rip Ben Wise (StuntDouble) & Mark Abrahamian (Rockstah)

fhn_lopes

Post by fhn_lopes » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:05 pm

Andy, 500 bucks for a Gibson Les Paul CUSTOM? :shock: :shock: Things were good back in the day!

I know the Tokai is your fav, but don't you feel just a little bit of regret nowadays? :lol: :lol: :lol: That 78 custom worths more than 4k if it is still playable...

I was willing to sell my japan strat (main axe) but your former GE10 brought her back to the game, a keeper... I'm going to change the paintjob though, probably a mark I B/W franky.... :vh:
76' JMP 50w w/ 71' metro board
93' Fernandes SSS strat
93' Fender Japan HSS Strat
4x12 w/ 2x 25w rola creambacks /2x 25w m75 Scumbacks