EVH 2x12 Cabinet with Rockstah head= BROWN

The man, the band, and everything else

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

Sean_McFly
Just the numbers in order: 13492

EVH 2x12 Cabinet with Rockstah head= BROWN

Post by Sean_McFly » Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:31 pm

So I had been tired of the tone of my 2x12 lately (an old Marshall 1966a) because it really didn't hold up to the tone of my '72 4x12 that use in all my clips, so I traded it for an EVH 2x12 cabinet, and I have to say, I've never been happier with my own tone and my attempts to achieve the Brown Sound! The G12H30's almost mimic the 2 mic'ed speaker setup Ed had in the studio during VH I. Below are some clips of the new setup with the Rockstah Mod 5's PPIMV set at level 1 (I'm living in NYC now, so no more cranking up until I'm back in the country for vacations). One clip is what I think is the closest I'll get to the VH I brown sound with this cab (really damn close and warm!), and the other is my own personal tone I'm using for my new band. At the moment, I'm only using Garageband with some minor eq's and a halfway decent reverb, so more clips will be up as soon as I get a portable solution for my Pro Tools setup (might even get Logic Pro X just for the hell of it). As always, the cab is mic'ed with one SM57. Enjoy guys and let me know what you think of my tone with the new cab!

The VH I tone:
https://soundcloud.com/seans-evh-explor ... -212-brown

My personal tone:
https://soundcloud.com/seans-evh-explor ... stah-mod-5

My own personal tone with scooped mids:
"Guess you guys aren't ready for that yet, but your kids are gonna love it"- Marty Mcfly

motrock

Re: EVH 2x12 Cabinet with Rockstah head= BROWN

Post by motrock » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:46 pm

Wow dude... I am impressed with this. And it takes a lot these days for me to say.. WOW! Mod 5 and this cab work great together. I wonder what the EVH 4X12 would sound like. Personally, I would love to have the EVH 4x12 with my Plexi.

What blows my mind is that you are using one SM57 in to Garage Band. Thats what I use. I have an Apogee Duet. UA SOLO/610 for Mic Pre. What I like about your clip is that it comes out super clear and you have all the highs! That high end is so important. How much EQing in GarageBand did you do? What kind of EQ? Did you copy and paste the track? I normally double up on the tracks so I can make it louder and bigger!

fivecoyote
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by fivecoyote » Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:14 am

G12H30s in that clip? I used those for a while in a 4x12 but felt like they didn't give enough upper mids. Went to 6402 Greenbacks and that solved it. But your G12H30s sound good. Betting it's the head?
At it awhile, still learnin'

Get woodalicious tonology factoid learnin' at http://www.WOODYTONE.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;!

Sean_McFly

Post by Sean_McFly » Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:53 am

motrock wrote:Wow dude... I am impressed with this. And it takes a lot these days for me to say.. WOW! Mod 5 and this cab work great together. I wonder what the EVH 4X12 would sound like. Personally, I would love to have the EVH 4x12 with my Plexi.

What blows my mind is that you are using one SM57 in to Garage Band. Thats what I use. I have an Apogee Duet. UA SOLO/610 for Mic Pre. What I like about your clip is that it comes out super clear and you have all the highs! That high end is so important. How much EQing in GarageBand did you do? What kind of EQ? Did you copy and paste the track? I normally double up on the tracks so I can make it louder and bigger!
I'm so glad you like the new sound! Your new setup sounds awesome as well! And yea I'm curious about the EVH 4x12 myself. Another great 4x12 out there right now that I've actually tried myself with the mod5 is the Friedman loaded with greenbacks and v30's. And damn that's so cool that you use a UA Solo/610 (always wanted one of those). I didn't EQ much. Just a high shelf at 5600khz with 3db boost, a 1db boost at 134 hz, and a little duck with a sharp Q at 4500 and 2400. And regarding the two tracks, because there are no reverb sends that you can pan in garage band, I set a wet dry setup with dry on the left and a 100% wet track on the right. I'll be finding more mic placements (for a VH 2 sound and Fair Warning) with this setup, so I'll try and keep this topic active!
"Guess you guys aren't ready for that yet, but your kids are gonna love it"- Marty Mcfly

Sean_McFly

Post by Sean_McFly » Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:01 am

fivecoyote wrote:G12H30s in that clip? I used those for a while in a 4x12 but felt like they didn't give enough upper mids. Went to 6402 Greenbacks and that solved it. But your G12H30s sound good. Betting it's the head?
Funny enough, my g12h30's have a lot of upper mids (they work so well in the dense 2x12)! And yea they compliment the head (and most plexi/JMP/jcm800 style heads I've tried it with)! Hmmm, perhaps Ol' Eddie is leaving us tone chasers bits and pieces of tonal clues and gems, and it's up to us to put the pieces together? Honestly, my setup hasn't sounded Browner than it does now (I mean, the ring and sustain on the chords when I play RWTD just sound so alive even in person with no production whatsoever). I'll be posting more clips and maybe some covers with the new setup as time goes on!

motrock

Post by motrock » Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:38 am

Sean_McFly wrote:
motrock wrote:Wow dude... I am impressed with this. And it takes a lot these days for me to say.. WOW! Mod 5 and this cab work great together. I wonder what the EVH 4X12 would sound like. Personally, I would love to have the EVH 4x12 with my Plexi.

I'm so glad you like the new sound! Your new setup sounds awesome as well! And yea I'm curious about the EVH 4x12 myself. Another great 4x12 out there right now that I've actually tried myself with the mod5 is the Friedman loaded with greenbacks and v30's. And damn that's so cool that you use a UA Solo/610 (always wanted one of those). I didn't EQ much. Just a high shelf at 5600khz with 3db boost, a 1db boost at 134 hz, and a little duck with a sharp Q at 4500 and 2400. And regarding the two tracks, because there are no reverb sends that you can pan in garage band, I set a wet dry setup with dry on the left and a 100% wet track on the right. I'll be finding more mic placements (for a VH 2 sound and Fair Warning) with this setup, so I'll try and keep this topic active!
Man, I wished I had 2 of the SOLO/610s, and a great 4 channel mixer, and a Royer 121! LOL I would be dangerous with that.

topsportsmanta1

Post by topsportsmanta1 » Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:28 pm

HEY SEAN I PLAYED MY ROCKSTAH THRU MY EVH STEALTH 4X12 AND IT SOUNDS GOOD ACTUALLY REALLY GOOD BUT NOT AS GOOD AS THRU MY MARSHALL WITH THE OL PRE ROLA GREEN BACKS
JUST THOUGHT I WOULD THROW IT OUT THERE FOR YOU ,MIKE
mike

topsportsmanta1

Post by topsportsmanta1 » Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:28 pm

sorry my caps lock button was stuck on lol
mike

Sean_McFly

Post by Sean_McFly » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:47 pm

topsportsmanta1 wrote:HEY SEAN I PLAYED MY ROCKSTAH THRU MY EVH STEALTH 4X12 AND IT SOUNDS GOOD ACTUALLY REALLY GOOD BUT NOT AS GOOD AS THRU MY MARSHALL WITH THE OL PRE ROLA GREEN BACKS
JUST THOUGHT I WOULD THROW IT OUT THERE FOR YOU ,MIKE
Awesome dude! I've heard they're supposed to be similar. Do the Pre Rola's sound more "broken in", or is it a whole different frequency spectrum entirely?

50ONE50

Post by 50ONE50 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:43 am

Fantastic tone. BRAVO!!! Very pleasing to the ears. :rock:

Sean_McFly

Post by Sean_McFly » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:20 am

50ONE50 wrote:Fantastic tone. BRAVO!!! Very pleasing to the ears. :rock:
Thanks dude! I still haven't had a chance to play this cab even remotely loud yet, so I'm excited to hear how my plexi's respond to it at higher volumes! :rockon: