Getting a Variac...advice?

The man, the band, and everything else

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

Sean_McFly
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Getting a Variac...advice?

Post by Sean_McFly » Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:07 pm

Okay so I'm thinking of getting a variac to use with my 4550 deluxe combo when it comes in so I can set the Bray wife knob higher than normal (for more presence, saturation), while still keeping it at bedroom volumes (I'm talking about putting the amp's volume to almost rehearsal levels, like around 3 or 4 instead of barely on 1, but keeping the variac at 85-90 volts to maintain the bedroom output loudness). Do you guys think this is safe to do with an EL34 amp pre-biased by Bray (I'm not changing his bias settings. He knows what he's doing lol), and if so, what brand should I get? And correct me if I'm wrong, but a 5 amp variac is best for the classic EVH "plug head into variac, plug variac into wall" setup?
"Guess you guys aren't ready for that yet, but your kids are gonna love it"- Marty Mcfly

rgorke

Re: Getting a Variac...advice?

Post by rgorke » Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:14 pm

Yes, at least 5 amp.

Well, in terms of bias. I haven't changed mine in a couple years. I think they are biased pretty cold so probably not a problem. I think you would be safe plugging in the variac and reducing voltage.

Others can correct my craziness.
"If you make a mistake, do it twice and smile and let people think you meant it." Jan Van Halen.

guitar007

Post by guitar007 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:04 pm

See if you can find one that measures both input and output voltages.
~guitar007

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:34 pm

On the 4550 amps a Dual tap Power Tranny is used (one voltage for SS rectifier and another voltage tap for a lower (tube rectifier) voltage). If you try a variac, I'd think you would want to use the higher(solid state)rectifier voltage, cause lowering the operating voltage with a variac will 'soften' the tube rectified selection a bit TOO much I'd reckon,make it tubby on the low end feel. I think the Bray stuff doesnt need, nor would gain any benefit from a variac. His amps (especially that tube rectified selection) are already designed with tone, feel and dynamics in mind.

Reamping (like the Fryette Power Satation) would be the better option for the application you have described,since it will not dull or flub up the sound(the Bray stuff sounds pretty wide and full already) like lowering the operating voltage too far down will. A thinner, brighter (hi input of a cranked Super Lead) tone is better for using a variac I'd say.
Rip Ben Wise (StuntDouble) & Mark Abrahamian (Rockstah)

jnew

Post by jnew » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:12 am

Yeah, interesting that your already seeking decisions about how to run the amp when it hasn't shown up yet. I don't know anything about Bray amps or mods but regardless, first thing is first. Plug in. You just might need nothing at all. I assume this won't be an amp for building and experimenting since you're spending the $ for an already established and reputable build but is this a combo for practice, gigging, recording, etc. Again not knowing about Bray but based on what I read from Tone Slinger's post, an amp like that is pretty much designed for simple plug and play with some key options. Give it a chance. 8)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... ID=1214336" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sean_McFly

Post by Sean_McFly » Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:46 am

Yea honestly I'm super excited for this amp and the tone it's gonna provide straight out of the box! I was just considering getting one to have around for further experimentation (hell, it'd be sweet using that variac with my Mod5 as well). I broke down and called Dave and added a Bray Line out box to my order so I can enjoy the amp's tone at whisper volumes and boosting the signal for practice using a speaker emulator in pro tools, so that takes care of a lot of the issues right there. And @jnew, it's got the option to unplug from the combo speaker and work like a 4550 deluxe head, so the combo is for practice, recording, gigging, and beyond! I know that it's gonna get quite a "variac-ed" sound in the 45 watt mode, but everyone here has been loving their variacs that I figured I'd get all the info I needed in case I decided to say "what the hell" and get one for different experiments. I'll be posting some clips when I get it of what it sounds like plugged straight in!
"Guess you guys aren't ready for that yet, but your kids are gonna love it"- Marty Mcfly

jnew

Post by jnew » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:23 am

Sounds cool. Looking forward to hearing some clips. 8)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... ID=1214336" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

guitar007

Post by guitar007 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:22 pm

It's a good tool to have on hand. I have 2. If I were buying another I would get one that reads both the input and output voltages. Good luck.
~guitar007