Check out this EVh rig!

The man, the band, and everything else

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

dirtycooter

Re: Check out this EVh rig!

Post by dirtycooter » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:18 am

Marshall SL12301 wrote:
jnewlyn wrote:Here is a great, Hagar era tone replication.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tzu-jt8 ... ure=relmfu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DEAD ON! :thumbsup: So it was a duncan 59 in that kramer just like plexified said!
I am not sure about this exactly. It very well could have been and my ears say yes. Heres what I do know, pete thorn gets a great vh2 tone in that sl68 vid with a paf, rockst@# was usin it to great measure with the mod 5 makin some convincing stuff before he switched over to the dsd and got even more gain,
I have heard vhoholics stuff saying it was sd59, alot of a5paf vh2 type clips here, and it works the same way in my rig as this kid is gettin here with it. But its into the 5153 not a plexi so its lack of drive is not gonna quite get the solo level he gets here into a plex. But the voice of the pickup is kinda, not scooped in the mids per sey, but it has that hollow thing goin. So people complain about that nasal cocked wah thing comin from the 5153. Well........here you go. Dead nuts example it really depends what you feed the amp. I get this from mine all day long.
Notice the wolf clips start gettin more mids from this kid and loses that vintage vh sound. Its still vh with the wolf but its the modern vh. The eq has more to do with the p/u on the overall sound. Plus it brings the gain down to more articulate sane useable levels on this amp as it has enough to get to the moon and back as is.
I would like to see his rack and full floorboard though-its definitly not from kmart.

MrBeasty
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by MrBeasty » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:08 pm

vanhalen5150 wrote:But he can't afford shoes......
Neither could Ed in the '00s.

vanhalen5150

Post by vanhalen5150 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:15 pm

Plexified said all the Kramers sent to Ed had both '59's and JB's sent with them. I believe he said 6 guitars were made. It's funny because the original Gibson Music-Yo Kramers have what seems to be similar to a JB in them. I'm repainting one and I have the pickup out. Some pretty interesting things with the Gibson one off pickup called the Kramer 84T. I'll take it apart for a look this weekend and post some shots. It's no JB clone from what I see so far. The new version of the Kramer has a straight up JB in them. Interesting.
12000 Metro Kit

jnewlyn
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by jnewlyn » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:57 pm

dirtycooter wrote:
Marshall SL12301 wrote:
jnewlyn wrote:Here is a great, Hagar era tone replication.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tzu-jt8 ... ure=relmfu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DEAD ON! :thumbsup: So it was a duncan 59 in that kramer just like plexified said!
I am not sure about this exactly. It very well could have been and my ears say yes. Heres what I do know, pete thorn gets a great vh2 tone in that sl68 vid with a paf, rockst@# was usin it to great measure with the mod 5 makin some convincing stuff before he switched over to the dsd and got even more gain,
I have heard vhoholics stuff saying it was sd59, alot of a5paf vh2 type clips here, and it works the same way in my rig as this kid is gettin here with it. But its into the 5153 not a plexi so its lack of drive is not gonna quite get the solo level he gets here into a plex. But the voice of the pickup is kinda, not scooped in the mids per sey, but it has that hollow thing goin. So people complain about that nasal cocked wah thing comin from the 5153. Well........here you go. Dead nuts example it really depends what you feed the amp. I get this from mine all day long.
Notice the wolf clips start gettin more mids from this kid and loses that vintage vh sound. Its still vh with the wolf but its the modern vh. The eq has more to do with the p/u on the overall sound. Plus it brings the gain down to more articulate sane useable levels on this amp as it has enough to get to the moon and back as is.
I would like to see his rack and full floorboard though-its definitly not from kmart.
Hmm. Anything wrong with the notion that he's feeding the amp a half cocked way pedal to get that nasal, half cocked tone? :?
Cheers to the ears.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... ID=1214336" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

dirtycooter

Post by dirtycooter » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:31 pm

In some places he does on the new record, but I tell ya, its mostly the pickup Eds running. Listen to that SL68 vid. That wolf has noteably more mid range. Then listen to petes dsd and paf guitar into the same plexi he has in the same vid-boom, night and day.
The paf he uses opens it up to the big woody vh2 thing, the dsd closes down some, and that wolf is yet another curve. I actually have trouble getting mids in this thing with the 59. I've played the evh wolf next to a 59-amp settings have to be tweaked in the mids. Get a chance try it back to back and you'll see exactly what i am talkin about.

motrock

Post by motrock » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:27 pm

That is one serious rig right there. He pretty much has Eddie's current touring rig! Wow... I am not that obsessed! LOL Well.. maybe close! LOL

MrBeasty

Post by MrBeasty » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:40 pm

motrock wrote:That is one serious rig right there. He pretty much has Eddie's current touring rig! Wow... I am not that obsessed! LOL Well.. maybe close! LOL
Oh c'mon! If you stumbled upon the money you get one just like it! :lol: ... I know I would.

rgorke

Post by rgorke » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:04 pm

MrBeasty wrote:
motrock wrote:That is one serious rig right there. He pretty much has Eddie's current touring rig! Wow... I am not that obsessed! LOL Well.. maybe close! LOL
Oh c'mon! If you stumbled upon the money you get one just like it! :lol: ... I know I would.
Don't you know it. I am that obsessed just not that rich.

I was half expecting one of the guys here to fess up and say it was them. :clap:
"If you make a mistake, do it twice and smile and let people think you meant it." Jan Van Halen.

TJB

Post by TJB » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:55 pm

I find it hilarious the lengths some people will go to when trying to fill their obsessions on trying to copy everything about Ed.
It's really a borderline infatuation/sickness IMHO. Good lord what's next EVH plastic surgery? :lol: :lol:
Although, I fell into that mode back when VH II came out and I paid good money to paint my Charvel strat with the black and yellow stripes just like Eds. I used it for a couple shows and I felt like such a copy cat I bought some Zip Strip and put an end to that nonsense. When I see so many guys doing this it really makes me want to stick to my own path that much more. I think it's always better to create and do your own thing. :thumbsup:

MrBeasty

Post by MrBeasty » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:56 am

TJB wrote: I think it's always better to create and do your own thing. :thumbsup:
It is indeed what made Mr. VanHalen a rich and famous man! Copying him too much would be missing the point.

TJB

Post by TJB » Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:06 pm

This is true! You know Ed could come out with a new line of undershorts and call them Frankenskivies and I'll bet some guys would buy them just because they say EVH on the tag. :roll:

rgorke

Post by rgorke » Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:22 pm

TJB wrote:This is true! You know Ed could come out with a new line of undershorts and call them Frankenskivies and I'll bet some guys would buy them just because they say EVH on the tag. :roll:
Yeah, so what's your point? :fight:
"If you make a mistake, do it twice and smile and let people think you meant it." Jan Van Halen.

TJB

Post by TJB » Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:42 pm

The point is no matter how many times you play his riffs and stand in front of the mirror with your EVH gear pretending to be Ed, you will never be him but if it makes "you" feel good by all means, knock yourself out! What ever works for ya. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

jfergis

Post by jfergis » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:53 am

I agree that it's always good to create an original and own thing, but it's also not bad to make covers. It's a good training! And I love to watch youtube videos like that, so thanks for sharing. It's like receiving a serenata sweet hampers for christmasand you don't know what's inside because it's a surprise! :)

popskull

Post by popskull » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:33 pm

The little devil also plays drums and got a nice snare drum sound like Alexs