Can someone help me with a part of the solo for "GGB"

The man, the band, and everything else

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

efraser68

Re: Can someone help me with a part of the solo for "GGB"

Post by efraser68 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:22 pm

I also love this new-ish feature on Youtube to slow down videos, half speed, quarter speed :champ:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xe4D_T_WN0
Remember Ben Wise (aka Stunt Double) & Mark Abrahamian
http://www.soundclick.com/EricFraser" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jeremy1283
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by Jeremy1283 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:43 pm

efraser68 wrote:I also love this new-ish feature on Youtube to slow down videos, half speed, quarter speed :champ:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xe4D_T_WN0
thanks for this! totally awesome

bman5150
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by bman5150 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:56 pm

Thank you! Had no idea this option existed! :thumbsup:
Peavey Classic 30
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9kgRpS2dY8M&feature=plcp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Landry LS100 G3
http://youtu.be/76xxldz_Tj4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://youtu.be/7OlOp5TA5Js" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

wjamflan

Post by wjamflan » Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:32 pm

bman5150 wrote:Well, that is helpful and of course, awesome! Still not quite getting what he's playing at that point but it is triplets so that is good to know. BTW, his tone sounded pretty damn good in that performance! Much better than when I saw them live in 2012.
Sorry you didn't find it helpful. I've been swamped at work and didn't have the time to tab it out for you, but I was hoping you'd be able to see that Ed didn't play the licks at the 10th, 12th and 13th frets as you initially posted - it was more like what Strat78 laid out for you.

FWIW, there is an official tab for this that is pretty good, but I'll see what I can do....

bman5150

Post by bman5150 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:38 pm

wjamflan wrote:
bman5150 wrote:Well, that is helpful and of course, awesome! Still not quite getting what he's playing at that point but it is triplets so that is good to know. BTW, his tone sounded pretty damn good in that performance! Much better than when I saw them live in 2012.
Sorry you didn't find it helpful. I've been swamped at work and didn't have the time to tab it out for you, but I was hoping you'd be able to see that Ed didn't play the licks at the 10th, 12th and 13th frets as you initially posted - it was more like what Strat78 laid out for you.

FWIW, there is an official tab for this that is pretty good, but I'll see what I can do....
no, it was helpful. I'm also going to play around with the tab strat78 gave me. Thanks!
Peavey Classic 30
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9kgRpS2dY8M&feature=plcp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Landry LS100 G3

wjamflan

Post by wjamflan » Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:38 pm

Strat78 wrote:Wjamflan can whip out and post these slowed down tracks pretty easily when he has time. I used to use something called "the amazing slow downer", I'm sure there are others available these days. Ha ha, back in 78 I would drop the turntable down to 16 speed and if necessary, slow it down even further dragging my thumb on the record itself. :toast:
I still use the Amazing Slow Downer b/c I'm old and set in my ways. Ha ha.

I also used the turntable set to 16 to figure out these licks originally. At one point I even patched a connection to my boombox so I could record them onto cassettes and always have them. Those were the days..... One thing I don't miss is the fact that the pitch would be dropped an octave down when doing that. Licks high up on the neck were ok to figure out. But anything low (and god forbid on the low E or A) and you were in subsonic hell.
Last edited by wjamflan on Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bman5150

Post by bman5150 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:19 pm

Strat78 wrote:Something like this (\ means sliding down to the next note with the index finger):
---------------------------8--12--10--8\7------------------------------------------------------
------------8--10--12---------------------10--8--7-------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------9-8-7\5---5--9--7--5------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------9--7--5--7-9-7
This is kind of an odd transitional part between the two distinctive sections of the solo.
Man, that song is a cacophony, especially live. :palm:
Ed's Holdsworth attempts are kind of silly when you hear what Allan can do with the guitar:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLukR6J-06o
Ok, messed around with this tab. Seems very very close if not dead on! At the very least, it's given me a new legato lick style not currently in my toolbox! The key for me to almost get it was how he ends up on the a (hammer on between the 7th and 9th fret on the D string.). The only part I'm not certain on is the transition between the b string to the g string.

wjamflan

Post by wjamflan » Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:51 pm

Here's the lick off of the record:

Girl Gone Bad (2:29)

-----B1------------H----P----SL---H---H--------------P----P---SL--------P---------P---P-------P---P--SL--SL-----
E------------------------------------------------8---12---10---8-\-7---10---7---------------------------------------
B---------10---10---13---10-\-8---10---12--------------------------------------10---8---7-------------------------
G---12-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------9---8---7-\-6-\-5---
D-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
E-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----D-----D----U-------------------------------D----U------------------D---------U-----------U---------------------
----------|---SOTOTW-2-mod--|-----------|--SOTOTW-2-mod--|--|-----SOTOTW-1------|---------------------

-------P---P------------P---P---H---H-------B.5->-R->-B.5->-R-~~~~---
E---------------------------------------------------------------------------
B---------------------------------------------------------------------------
G---9---7---5---5---------------------------------------------------------
D---------------------9---7---5---7---9---7-------------------------------
A---------------------------------------------------------------------------
E---------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----D-----------D---U---------------------D------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

A few notes:

1. SOTOTW = Sitting On Top Of The World - These are Eric Clapton's two licks from the cadenza that have been adapted by Ed. See below.

2. The two licks have the same picking pattern: Down - Up - Up with a hammer on and pull off in between.

3. The "mod" designation means modified. The last note is a slide instead of an upstroke.

Slow Downer Clip (1/10 speed): http://www.mediafire.com/listen/fye17cf ... _speed.wav

This set of licks is a perfect example of what garbeaj is trying to say in The Best Thing To Learn thread. Most assume that Ed is trying to ape Holdsworth. While Allan may have been the inspiration for the long line, Ed's execution is almost all Clapton based - specifically, the Sitting On Top Of The World cadenza.

Hope it helps.

***EDIT - I apologize. My original post had a few copying mistakes (from my notes). I was trying to do it quickly, but I'm dead tired. It should be right now.
Last edited by wjamflan on Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:11 am, edited 6 times in total.

wjamflan

Post by wjamflan » Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:02 pm

As a bonus, here's the lick that follows that is officially tabbed somewhat incorrectly. It also leans heavily on the SOTOTW cadenza.

Girl Gone Bad (2:35)

--------H----H----------------P-----P---------------------P----P---------------------P-----P------------
E---------------------14---20---17---14--------14--------------------------14--------------------------
B---14---17---20---------------------------X---------20---17---14--------------20---17---14---------
G------------------------------------------------------------------------20--------------------------20---
D-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
E-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----D-----------------D---U----------------U----D---U----------------U----D----U----------------U---
----------------------|-----SOTOTW-2------|--|-----SOTOTW-1------|--|-----SOTOTW-1-------|---

-------------P-----P-------*--------P----------------P----P----------P--------B1.5>R>B1--------------
E---14--------------------14------------------------------------------------------------------------------
B--------20---17---14---------17---14---14--------------------------(14)------------------------------
G-------------------------------------------------17---16---14---17---14---14--------------------------
D-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
E-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----D----U---------------D----U-----------D----U----------------D----------D--------------------------
----|-SOTOTW-1mod-|----------------------------------------------------------------------------

A few notes:

1. The X is a note I believe Ed intended to play at the 20th fret but missed altogether. You don't have to play it.

2. The * is a dead squeaker of a harmonic - pick noise really - for a note that Ed didn't hit dead on.

3. The (14) is a note unintentionally sounded when pulling off. If I was being really accurate, the same thing happens just before when pulling from 17 to 16 to 14. I just didn't want it to be confusing.

4. The fast lick is just one of Ed's SOTOTW variations with the spread. I don't know why the Cherry Lane folks mess that up every time.

Slow Downer Clip (1/5 speed): http://www.mediafire.com/listen/aoyd813 ... _speed.wav

Hope it helps.

wjamflan

Post by wjamflan » Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:05 pm

Sitting On Top Of The World (cadenza) - Lick 1

--------------H----P-------------------------------------
E---15----------------------------------------------------
B---------15---18---15----------------------------------
G--------------------------17----------------------------
D---------------------------------------------------------
A---------------------------------------------------------
E---------------------------------------------------------
-----D----U----------------U-----------------------------

****Pick direction: D = down; U = up

****Legato: H = hammer on; P = pull off - they are in between the notes

wjamflan

Post by wjamflan » Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:07 pm

Sitting On Top Of The World (cadenza) - Lick 2

--------------H----P-------------------------------------
B---15---15---18---15----------------------------------
G--------------------------17----------------------------
D---------------------------------------------------------
A---------------------------------------------------------
-----D----U----------------U----------------------------

****Pick direction: D = down; U = up

****Legato: H = hammer on; P = pull off - they are in between the notes

bman5150

Post by bman5150 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:45 pm

Wjamflan-thank you! I am definitely not playing it quite right. This will help. It's funny, but I think I play it better when I just "play" it vs thinking about what my fingers should be doing, LOL!

Thanks again!

garbeaj
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by garbeaj » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:18 pm

Here is my complete TAB for the solo from "Girl Gone Bad" as heard on the 1984 album that I created with much help from wjamflan. Bill and I have discussed this at length and I believe he and I agree on how this was played on the record

This is a clip I made of myself playing this solo as I have it TAB'ed (well with a few mistakes!)

Of course, this is a perfect illustration of what I'm talking about (and also what Bill has been talking about) in my 'The Best Thing To Learn In Order To Play Like Ed' thread just as Bill mentioned earlier.

Also, the guitar on the recording is tuned as follows:
High E string: +11.7 cents
------B string: +11.9 cents
------G string: +13.6 cents
------D string: +14.0 cents
------A string: +14.0 cents
Low E string: +11.7 cents

dazzlindino

Post by dazzlindino » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:43 pm

Nice demo.....
... it illustrates Edwardo's composition skills...
I want my music waking up the dead...
Dont tell me to turn it down

if its not loud enough you must be really old...huh,what,what did you play?

bman5150

Post by bman5150 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:12 pm

Thanks again guys! Tremendous stuff! I think I've got it down enough where I can play it to the point that it's very recognizable. Not perfect but definitely in the neighborhood. All of this was very helpful. Thx!
Peavey Classic 30
Landry LS100 G3