Where Ed Plays on the Neck

The man, the band, and everything else

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

garbeaj
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: Where Ed Plays on the Neck

Post by garbeaj » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:22 pm

Thanks for posting that Bill and I'll listen to the slowed down clip some more and see what I come up with. After listening to the slowed down version you posted I'll probably have to change my fingerings to just be the same as what you posted after all.

Now everyone will know where I stole my fingerings from :whistle:

Leotis
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by Leotis » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:33 pm

Great thread guys! :rock: It's the stuff like this that keeps me comin' back day after day.

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:15 pm

OK...I've listened to the slowed down clip that Bill posted and his fingerings are absolutely correct.

I still think there is something funny going on right when the first A note at the 14th fret of the G string is struck...string noise from doing a silent hammer-on? String noise and it is picked as Bill has it? Listening to the slowed down clip makes me think Bill was right that this note was picked, but there is some kind of extra, possibly unintended noise going on right at that point.

I'd make another TAB but you have Bill's and it is right! The only thing you get with my TAB are the left hand fingers notated :champ:
Last edited by garbeaj on Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wjamflan
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by wjamflan » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:40 am

Strat78 wrote:
wjamflan wrote:
Strat78 wrote:I think this lick is used best in the second solo in Outta Love. But there seems to be even more notes inserted in that simple pattern. There was a time where I added an extra note with the pinky on the B string like Roger describes, but I'm still not sure if that was correct. Can someone post a slowed down clip of Ed's solo in that song so we could figure it out?
http://www.mediafire.com/?wd2s33tx86ibexx
Thats it, thanks Bill!
:toast:
Here's my take on this one:

OUTTA LOVE AGAIN - 2nd Solo

---------B-1.5-and hold>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>R-----B-1.5------B-1.5--------------P---SL---H/SL----
E---|---19---19--19---19--19---19--19---19--19---|---19---19---19-----------------------------------|
B---|---------------------------------------------------|------------------------17---20---17\6------------|
G---|---------------------------------------------------|-------------------------------------------7/13---|
D---|---------------------------------------------------|----------------------------------------------------|
A---|---------------------------------------------------|----------------------------------------------------|
E---|---------------------------------------------------|----------------------------------------------------|
---------D----D---U-----D---U----D---U-----D---U--------D----U----D--------D----U----------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------B1---------------------H----P--------------------B1---------------------H----P---------------
E---|---12------------------12------------------------------------------------12-------------------------|--------
B---|---------12---15------------12---12---15---12----------12---15------------12---12---15---12--|--------
G---|-----------------------------------------------------14----------------------------------------------|--14----
D---|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|---------
A---|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|---------
E---|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|---------
----------D----U----D-------U----D-----U----------------U-----D----U-------U-----D----U------------------U-----
-----------------------------------|-----SOTOTW-2------|-------------------------|------SOTOTW-2------|----

----------------P-----------P------------------------P------B1>R>B2----------H----P------------------------------H---P--------
E------------------------------------------------------------------------|----------------------------------------------------------
B----12----------------15---12----------12----------------------------|----------------------------------------------------------
G----------15---14----------------14----------15---14---12----------|---12---14--12--------12-------------12--14--12-----
D------------------------------------------------------------------------|-------------------16--------14--16--------------------
A------------------------------------------------------------------------|----------------------------------------------------------
E------------------------------------------------------------------------|----------------------------------------------------------
------D----U-----------D-----------U-----D----U-----------D---------------D---------------U---D----U---D-----D---------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|-----P.M.----|---------------------

---------------P-----------------P---------------B1---------------b.5---------------b.5---------------B1>R-
E--------------------------------|---------------------12---------14---12----------15---12----------15---|
B--------------------------------|---------------------------12---------------12----------------12----------|
G---12---14---12---15---15---|---12---14---14----------------------------------------------------------|
D--------------------------------|----------------------------------------------------------------------------|
A--------------------------------|----------------------------------------------------------------------------|
E--------------------------------|----------------------------------------------------------------------------|
-----D----U----------D----U---------------D----U----D----U----D------D----U-----D----D-----U----D--
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

>>>>>>B1.5------------B1----B1>R>B1--------------------H----P---------------------------P----P-------------------B1>R>B1.5>R>B1.5~
E---|---(15)------15---15------------------12---12---------------------|--------------------------------------------------------------------|
B---|--------------------------15------------------------12---15---12---|---------12--------------------------------------------------------|
G---|----------------------------------------------------------------------|---14---------15---14---12----------14---12--------------------|
D---|----------------------------------------------------------------------|---------------------------------14--------------------------------|
A---|----------------------------------------------------------------------|--------------------------------------------------------------------|
E---|----------------------------------------------------------------------|--------------------------------------------------------------------|
--------------------D----U----D--------------U----D----U---------------------U-----D----U----------------U------D----U---------------------
----------------------------------------------------|-------SOTOTW-1--------|----------------------------------------------------------------

For those who need an even slower version to really hear it: http://www.mediafire.com/?n44v4ysd7blbrik

rgorke

Post by rgorke » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:04 pm

Ok, I can admit when I am wrong. Here are a couple of the best shots I could find of Ed playing the lick. Presuming he plays it the same way he did 35 years ago.... :scratch:

http://youtu.be/x-82Y1LZil0?t=3m36s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://youtu.be/1RgRO-8TvN0?t=4m25s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://youtu.be/x-82Y1LZil0?t=3m37s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"If you make a mistake, do it twice and smile and let people think you meant it." Jan Van Halen.

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:17 pm

Excellent post Bill! Can't wait to start working on it!
I'm away from my guitars for the weekend, but I'll be excited to try out what you have posted for "Outta Love Again" A.S.A.P.!

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:21 pm

So are we all in agreement that Ed played "Outta Love Again" on the hacked Destroyer or some other Tune-o-Matic style fixed bridge instrument? Were there any other tunes or overdubs on Van Halen II that were supposedly recorded with the hacked Destroyer? I read some things here and there, but I don't think this has ever been confirmed. The bends in "Outta Love Again" just seem more do-able on a Destroyer to me :what:

JimiJames

Re: Video Looper

Post by JimiJames » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:04 am

rgorke wrote:Ok, I can admit when I am wrong. Here are a couple of the best shots I could find of Ed playing the lick. Presuming he plays it the same way he did 35 years ago.... :scratch:

http://youtu.be/x-82Y1LZil0?t=3m36s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://youtu.be/1RgRO-8TvN0?t=4m25s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://youtu.be/x-82Y1LZil0?t=3m37s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Using a looper while I practice & figure out shit with,
it just dawned on me that there's a YouTube video looper that one can use just like an audio looper.
Makes things real easy to watch what's being played on the neck & where.
I use Firefox with the YouTube Auto Replay
Other loopers for different browsers here.
:rockon:
RIP Mark Abrahamian-rockstah -classmate/roommate
RIP Ben Wise -StuntDouble- comrade-in-arms

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:05 am

I think 'DTNA' and 'Women In Love' (excepting the intro part) were also the Destroyer. Agreed about some of the bends on 'Outta Love'. The '14 radius on the Destroyer keeps those bends very musical. Those bends on the G note (high e, 15th fret) twang to much with the '10 radius on my main strat. I can nail'em on my '10-'16 radius though.
Rip Ben Wise (StuntDouble) & Mark Abrahamian (Rockstah)

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:43 am

Tone Slinger wrote:I think 'DTNA' and 'Women In Love' (excepting the intro part) were also the Destroyer. Agreed about some of the bends on 'Outta Love'. The '14 radius on the Destroyer keeps those bends very musical. Those bends on the G note (high e, 15th fret) twang to much with the '10 radius on my main strat. I can nail'em on my '10-'16 radius though.
Yeah come to think of it I did hear that about "Dance The Night Away" and the parts of "Women In Love" other than the intro. There is no tremolo work on these tracks and that typically denotes a fixed bridge instrument of some sort if not the hacked "Shark".

garbeaj

Re: Video Looper

Post by garbeaj » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:44 am

rgorke wrote:Ok, I can admit when I am wrong. Here are a couple of the best shots I could find of Ed playing the lick. Presuming he plays it the same way he did 35 years ago.... :scratch:

You can also see the position that Ed uses pretty clearly in the Warner Bros. promo video for "You Really Got Me", in addition to the Japanese TV clip that Strat78 posted earlier...so you can see that he does play it the same way he did it 35 years ago :thumbsup:

rgorke

Post by rgorke » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:06 pm

I didn't want to start a whole new thread but one other aspect of Ed's playing is his right hand, specifically how he palm mutes. I have been watching some videos of him playing ATBL and that is a difficult one for me to play muting the high strings the way he does. It is usually too much or not enough. I think his use of middle finger and thumb to hold the pick plays a role in how is hand sits on the bridge.
"If you make a mistake, do it twice and smile and let people think you meant it." Jan Van Halen.

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:16 am

rgorke wrote:I didn't want to start a whole new thread but one other aspect of Ed's playing is his right hand, specifically how he palm mutes. I have been watching some videos of him playing ATBL and that is a difficult one for me to play muting the high strings the way he does. It is usually too much or not enough. I think his use of middle finger and thumb to hold the pick plays a role in how is hand sits on the bridge.
All true. But a major element of how to achieve the palm muting that you hear on the original album version and early live versions of "Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love" is the Fender six-screw tremolo bridge. The way that bridge reacts and the way your hand sits when you palm mute. You just can't get that out of a Floyd Rose tremolo system bridge. Even Ed could never really get that tactile palm muting ever again either once he switched to the Floyd Rose. It is do-able on a Floyd with a lot of effort, but it is just natural on a Fender bridge, at least it was for me.

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:39 am

I totally agree !
Rip Ben Wise (StuntDouble) & Mark Abrahamian (Rockstah)

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:00 am

Yup, me and Toneslinger are the die-hard Fender tremolo guys on this board. And for good reason...the recordings that were made with the Fender tremolo are only truly understood by learning them on a standard Fender tremolo and the Floyd Rose recordings are only truly understood by learning them on a Floyd Rose equipped guitar. Same with the recordings done with fixed bridge Tun-O-Matic style bridges like the Destroyer, Flying V and Ripley tracks. You can learn the material on other guitars, but you will never truly grasp and understand them until you get your hands on the most appropriate version of the recorded guitar that you can find. It is a feel thing that can't be duplicated.