Can someone help me with a part of the solo for "GGB"

The man, the band, and everything else

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

garbeaj
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: Can someone help me with a part of the solo for "GGB"

Post by garbeaj » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:41 pm

dazzlindino wrote:Nice demo.....
... it illustrates Edwardo's composition skills...
Thanks...I think "Girl Gone Bad" is one of, if not the best song in the band's entire catalog on all levels from Dave's vocal and lyrics, Mike's background vocal, the bass parts (even though I think that Eddie may have actually played bass on the recording) Al's drums, the structure, everything!!...this song represents the closest that Van Halen ever got to Led Zeppelin at their peak.

JiMB

Post by JiMB » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:07 pm

garbeaj wrote:
Thanks...I think "Girl Gone Bad" is one of, if not the best song in the band's entire catalog on all levels from Dave's vocal and lyrics, Mike's background vocal, the bass parts (even though I think that Eddie may have actually played bass on the recording) Al's drums, the structure, everything!!...this song represents the closest that Van Halen ever got to Led Zeppelin at their peak.
That's what I thought when I first heard that song.

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:20 pm

JiMB wrote:
garbeaj wrote:
That's what I thought when I first heard that song.
I know I'm not the first one to make that comparison, but I mean it as the highest compliment as I am also a huge Led Zeppelin fan.

Strat78

Post by Strat78 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:12 am

garbeaj wrote:
The mind boggles. :hide:

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:58 am

Strat78 wrote:
garbeaj wrote:
The mind boggles. :hide:
Not a fan of "Girl Gone Bad" Phil?

Strat78

Post by Strat78 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:46 am

Don't listen to me, as far as I'm concerned the band was circling the bowl by 1982! :toast:

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:41 pm

Strat78 wrote:Don't listen to me, as far as I'm concerned the band was circling the bowl by 1982! :toast:
Hah! I gotcha:) Hey I respect your opinion...I certainly have zero understanding or appreciation of anything after 0U812 and I can't understand anyone who plays EBMM or the Peavey or EVH/Fender signature models...yet there are legions of fans that never cared for anything before 0U812...these people are clearly lunatics!

Rich_D
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by Rich_D » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:31 pm

bman5150 wrote:Dumb question that makes me feel old...how do you guys play the song and slow it down? That sure seems like it would be pretty handy!
I use Transcribe. It has speed controls by 1% and it loops. I paid for it. VLC media player also has speed controls for free.
Girl Gone Bad is at the top of my list too. Strat78, you strongly resemble the man but I don't see how you wipe off 1984. I hate everything about Sammy Hagar, just my stinking opinion, but dadbIammit I love 5150 in spite of that corny idiot. I freaking love that plastic guitar tone. After that, it's a different band that I really, really don't like until ADKOT. Every few years I try to find one single riff, lick, tone, or song between 5150 and III and I cannot. I like the live version of Year to the Day.

And flam and Garbeaj, thanks for the work. Hero shit.
Interpretation?! I thought I was playing it right!

Strat78

Post by Strat78 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:59 pm

Didn't Ed incorporate the GGB riffs into the live jam portion of SGMAD around 82? I guess I just connected more with the band from 78 to 81, Diver Down just ended it for me, so I moved on. Lost interest in guitar too and did not pick it up again until the 90's.

Rich_D

Post by Rich_D » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:08 pm

Strat78 wrote:Didn't Ed incorporate the GGB riffs into the live jam portion of SGMAD around 82? I guess I just connected more with the band from 78 to 81, Diver Down just ended it for me, so I moved on. Lost interest in guitar too and did not pick it up again until the 90's.
I feel ya man. Eddie didn't like DD either but I wouldn't trade those songs for Aerosmith's whole catalog. I quit guitar from '93 - when I found this forum.

Yes, GGB's riff was at the US Festival segueing into I'm So Glad in the jam section of SGMAD.

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:54 pm

Strat78 wrote:Didn't Ed incorporate the GGB riffs into the live jam portion of SGMAD around 82? I guess I just connected more with the band from 78 to 81, Diver Down just ended it for me, so I moved on. Lost interest in guitar too and did not pick it up again until the 90's.
As far as I know, the "Girl Gone Bad" riffs appeared in the jam of Cream's "I'm So Glad" (surprise, surprise...) during the "Somebody Get Me A Doctor" breakdown at the '83 U.S. Festival which was roughly at the time of the 1984 sessions. They may have played those "Alex-Battles-Eddie" bits in concert before, but the first I heard the "GGB" riffs was at the U.S. Festival just as Rich says...

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:58 pm

Rich_D wrote:And flam and Garbeaj, thanks for the work. Hero shit.
Thanks! But Bill did the heavy lifting...I would have still been in the dark on the "hard" parts if it wasn't for him!

Rich_D

Post by Rich_D » Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:01 pm

Holy crap Strat78, you hate Push Comes to Shove too? that's it, back to the goat-like dwelling with you! We'll throw you bread crusts and puddle water until you come out of your resentful funk.

mapat

Post by mapat » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:20 pm

Rich_D wrote:Holy crap Strat78, you hate Push Comes to Shove too? that's it, back to the goat-like dwelling with you! We'll throw you bread crusts and puddle water until you come out of your resentful funk.
Last time I checked, Fair Warning came out in 1981, a year in which Strat78 says he still enjoyed the band.

:peace:

Not that it should matter what era of the band people dig.

You either like it, or you don't.

:thumbsup:

rgorke

Post by rgorke » Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:33 pm

Rich_D wrote:Holy crap Strat78, you hate Push Comes to Shove too? that's it, back to the goat-like dwelling with you! We'll throw you bread crusts and puddle water until you come out of your resentful funk.

LOL :lol: The funk is what makes him so endearing...
"If you make a mistake, do it twice and smile and let people think you meant it." Jan Van Halen.