Ed's 1978 touring rig.

The man, the band, and everything else

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

Tone Slinger

Re: Ed's 1978 touring rig.

Post by Tone Slinger » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:16 am

Well, sound is subjective guy's, there is no need to 'flame' or 'torch' anybody for giving their opinion.

Phil X, imo, did pretty good. The amp sounded great as well. Phil X seems to get at the rhythms pretty good, but has a very 'box' pentatonic vibe to his soloing, which Eddie NEVER has.

I think he is pretty much an INCREDIBLE guitarist, as is Doug Steele, though NEITHER have spent enough time dissecting Ed's stuff for many here (remember, this is the PLACE for early Ed tone and info).
Rip Ben Wise (StuntDouble) & Mark Abrahamian (Rockstah)

rgorke
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by rgorke » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:20 am

There is only ONE Ed, everybody chill out!!!!!!
"If you make a mistake, do it twice and smile and let people think you meant it." Jan Van Halen.

Good Guest

Post by Good Guest » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:33 am

rgorke wrote:There is only ONE Ed, everybody chill out!!!!!!

+1 player jealousy rearing it's ugly head again :palm: ..The only criticism I have is the huge rack of tone changing / enhancing equipment that drowns out any quality's they are trying to show off in the amp...it's like F*** the amp I want the rack :thumbsup: ....simple eq's can change pickup quality so they too are a no go despite the clip :shrug: ....but really criticizing the guitar player for playing it his way ..that's what it's all about. :stars:

fhn_lopes
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by fhn_lopes » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:22 pm

I think Phill X isn't a good EVH type guitar player, even though of course he is a good one... Crazy junky, but skillfull... honestly, I prefer to hear Twisty, Ralle or Strat78 playing any VH song than him... so Garbeaj, I agree with you on this.... Even david bray has some nice chops too, I love his plexi 50 clips, with the maestro and duncan custom custom :champ: :thumbsup:

Steve Stevens has some great EVH chops and nails the tone hands down with his san dimas, BKP VHII and his 'stock' superlead.... never read you guys talking about him though... he is an awesome player and has the chops... Rockstah also has excelent chops and tone too... :hide:

I think the Friedman amp sounds too "polite" IMO... too under control.... VH tone is almost out of control, and eddie struggles against feedback and fuzzy low end... that edge is not at DF amp, EVEN THOUGH it is a KILLER versatile amp.... I'd grab one If I could for sure but not sure if I'd use it for VH...
76' JMP 50w w/ 71' metro board
93' Fernandes SSS strat
93' Fender Japan HSS Strat
4x12 w/ 2x 25w rola creambacks /2x 25w m75 Scumbacks

Ralle

Post by Ralle » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:05 pm

I think Phil X is an excellent player and artist... there isn't many who can put on a one man show like he can... I know I can't... and that's worth a lot more...he is an excellent frontman and guitarist... he's got that raw in the balls rock'n roll to it... I don't give a rats ass if he can't play like Ed on an " Ed " amp... I prefere him before many players who can put down the shops better, that doesn't have that natural sting of performance skills like Phil has... would have him in any band...
He's a natural... :rock:

If Dave built his amps like Eds, he probably wouldn't have that many happy customers due to all that noice and shit that came out of Eds amp... Him having the amp cleaned up, with more featurers, is better from a seller/builders point of wiew :wink:

rgorke

Post by rgorke » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:25 pm

If you guys don't lay off Phil X, I'm gonna post more of my videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vms_6_TSQuc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"If you make a mistake, do it twice and smile and let people think you meant it." Jan Van Halen.

Marshall SL12301

Post by Marshall SL12301 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:38 pm

rgorke wrote:If you guys don't lay off Phil X, I'm gonna post more of my videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vms_6_TSQuc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:lol: :peace: wonder how he would be figurin out eruption??
R.I.P Mark Abrahamian, You will be remembered!

Marshall SL12301

Post by Marshall SL12301 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:52 pm

I am finding it pretty amazing that some are saying they dont hear the VHI tone when phil plays??? wow! :shock: i give up

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:19 pm

Ever notice how we have LOST what was great about this forum ? There used to be MANY Marshall flavored clips posted almost daily. Now, there is cheap talk about the intangables going on non stop (I'm guilty :oops: )

Hell, Strat78 hasnt posted anything in AGES ! Rockstah is absent, etc, etc .

Boy do we need a shot in the arm.

Marshall SL12301

Post by Marshall SL12301 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:28 am

Tone Slinger wrote:Ever notice how we have LOST what was great about this forum ? There used to be MANY Marshall flavored clips posted almost daily. Now, there is cheap talk about the intangables going on non stop (I'm guilty :oops: )

Hell, Strat78 hasnt posted anything in AGES ! Rockstah is absent, etc, etc .

Boy do we need a shot in the arm.
TS i think the main prob is everything has come full circle bro. I mean think about it other than clips of amps there is not a whole lot to talk about ed's gear anymore , whats left? :what:

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:52 am

I think your right. Roll the dead horse over and beat the other side huh :D ?

Still, I guess what gets me is all the "secret modded' theories. I see it like this, concerning Ed's gear:

Stock 12xxx plexi (power tranny replacements, normal maintenance) variaced and dimed.

STOCK MXR pedals (phase , flange, eq for live sometimes) STOCK Maestro echoplex, etc

Studio, pre rola 25 watters, live probably black backs.

IMO, the first album represented a sound that was *slightly* more distorted for 2 reasons,

1) Ed had a ceramic magnet pu in his Franky (MM, DSD or a 'Custom' wind). Ed went to an A2 or A5 magnet by the '78 tour.

2) Ed's main top was in a *certain* working order, like the particular set of 6ca7's werent matched properly or the bias was whacked, etc. That amp was very slightly sounding different than ever before or AFTER.

somethin'else

Post by somethin'else » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:34 am

Right TS, I'd have to agree, based on that 8mm live vid of Fresno, just remove the Sunset Sound aspect and there he is. Sunset just tamed it for the record. But he didn't sound like that leading up to the record, and he didn't sound like that after that tour!
A lot of the "modded" lore came at the same time he was turning his back during Eruption. "Yeah my pedals were modded, amp modded" all came as tossed boneS to the stealers. He was just more balls out than anyone at the time, that's all.
All those other players, technical greats, just didn't cook their gear like Ed.
After '78 a big organic part of the change in his tone came from the simple element that his playing was changing. OK maybe a mag swap, maybe a nfb value change, etc., but the music changed too. Things got smoother and smoother, like his physical techniques. That can have a core impact on tone.
Anyway, I like the "stock" theory on the 78 Tour Rig. Give or take one or two "secrets".
Was it said he slaved then? Or did I miss that?
One thing's for sure. Ed plays just like Ed! :clap:
dave

The Alien

Post by The Alien » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:44 am

Dave friedman said "Ed did not ever slave his amp until 5150 tour" and this was confirmed by one of his techs.
I guess he just put up with the volume.... :what:

I have a question... was it ever confirmed that he ran his echoplex with a cable from the bottom left input of the amp into the echoplex and eq into the top right input ?
Also why are there two EQ's next to the echoplexes in the japan pictures ? (I heard it was to kill hiss)
"I don't give a fuck if you boo, as long as you boo in key..." J.M.Hendrix

somethin'else

Post by somethin'else » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:50 am

rgorke wrote:If you guys don't lay off Phil X, I'm gonna post more of my videos.

not bad Roger! What's your filtering? That's a pretty difficult passage, I highly recommend Amazing Slow Downer, and some Xanax. Keep on Rocking! :rock:
The Alien wrote:Dave friedman said "Ed did not ever slave his amp until 5150 tour" and this was confirmed by one of his techs.

I have a question... was it ever confirmed that he ran his echoplex with a cable from the bottom left input of the amp into the echoplex and eq into the top right input ?
Also why are there two EQ's next to the echoplexes in the japan pictures ? (I heard it was to kill hiss)
ah, that's right, thanks.
dave

rgorke

Post by rgorke » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:50 am

somethin'else wrote:

not bad Roger! What's your filtering? That's a pretty difficult passage, I highly recommend Amazing Slow Downer, and some Xanax. Keep on Rocking! :rock:
The Alien wrote:Dave friedman said "Ed did not ever slave his amp until 5150 tour" and this was confirmed by one of his techs.

ah, that's right, thanks.
Filtering? There is NO filter on that.

In terms of the GE-10s, the most logical explanation and one that has been somewhat confirmed is that they were used to boost the signal with all the cable he was running live. Just think, 20'-30' guitar to pedals then 20" to Echoplexes, back to pedals, back to amps. 60' or more.

The GE-10s are great EQs, very quiet.