The man, the band, and everything else

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

EJSLPlexi
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: Ed's 1978 touring rig.

Post by EJSLPlexi » Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:34 pm

efraser68 wrote:
EJSLPlexi wrote:
The Alien wrote:Dave friedman said "Ed did not ever slave his amp until 5150 tour" and this was confirmed by one of his techs.
I guess he just put up with the volume.... :what:
sorry but this is not true, EVH used a 50 watter as a preamp into the main 100 watter on the first record,
how else would you explain that amount of drive he gets?(please dont say a dimarzio super distortion :roll: EVH had said many times he HATED those, at least in their stock form, he may have used them rewound and modded)
then on VH II he dropped that idea which is why you hear a drastically cleaner tone.
it is just the 100 watter hs main one on that record.
You're a little late to the game...look up Ralle. Strat78, Rgalpin, YMI5150?, and others who have gotten VH1 tone and gain level with the right pup and a EQ slamming the front of a 100 watt Marshall circuit.
I dont agree that they got the tone of that first record 8)
Is it EVH like? yes but not like the records tone at all

jape88

Post by jape88 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:51 pm

EJSLPlexi wrote: I dont agree that they got the tone of that first record 8)
Is it EVH like? yes but not like the records tone at all
Fair enough comment, but you must supply a clip to prove a lot of your recent posts on the way to achieve VH1 tone ...it really is useless without it.
As you can see by how long the forum has been running and how many posts have been made that most things have been tried so I for one am all ears :listen:

rgorke
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by rgorke » Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:41 pm

Pete Thorn has also nailed the VH1 tone with his Suhr SL and a DSD. Folks on this forum have come up with several signal paths to the VH1 tone, SL dimed, SL with EQ, Mod 5, Slaving, they will all get you there. Chops are key to Ed's tone as well.
"If you make a mistake, do it twice and smile and let people think you meant it." Jan Van Halen.

stef

Post by stef » Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:56 pm

I agree with EFraser, YMI5150 and others, EQ box boosting the front of the 12000 1959 and most likely shaving some low freq off + EP3 preamp boost is the VH1 missing link or VH1 secret. Listen to YMI5150's clip with VH1 guitar (PAF style pickup) + EQ etc....
When I first tried an old blue 6 band in front of my marshall I realized how important that box is, the rest is (was) in the sunset studio (urei 1176 compressors etc) and recording - mixing techs.. Just listen to the infamous 6 band hiss here..

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hhjl-hxbIuA[/youtube]

beaulieu

Post by beaulieu » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:36 pm

CANT believe u guys are still talkin this stuff..I know some of u guys have a clue but i dont understand. Sure old VH sound is the best ever but its someone elses sound. Its kinda like this...I saw a guy on you tube playin a Zack Wylde Les Paul,Playin Zack songs Looking like Zack with the guitar between his legs like Zack. I thought that was cheesie trying to be someone else.I just dont understand the obsession and I do enjoy reading how EVH did this or that but you guys debate/argue it still..The only people I would believe knew what happend is DF and some of you still will not believe what he says. THen someone says a 50 watter was used on VH 1....Where did that come from? You can't get that sound with a 100 watter??WTF I have a 69 SuperBass and I bet with ED the right guitar and effects will get close. I also dont think alot of people realize how much the playing matters. Again VH has always been my favorite and old VH albums rip...all of them. Sure some are "different" but for some to say 1984 tone wasnt good etc. I bet who ever didnt like 84 tone if you were in the studio when it was recorded your jaw would be on the floor.Im also sure you wouldnt of said " well that guitar tone kinda sucks" I admire some of your commitment cause when i do something I do it 150% but not on stuff that dosent matter.I just dont get it I guess and I meant no harm.
69 SuperBass Plexi
12000 Series Bulid
73 1987
68 Nos 50 build
2554 Combo
2550 Silver Jub stack
71 LesPaul Deluxe
68,71,73 4x12

EJSLPlexi

Post by EJSLPlexi » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:29 am

beaulieu wrote:CANT believe u guys are still talkin this stuff..I know some of u guys have a clue but i dont understand. Sure old VH sound is the best ever but its someone elses sound. Its kinda like this...I saw a guy on you tube playin a Zack Wylde Les Paul,Playin Zack songs Looking like Zack with the guitar between his legs like Zack. I thought that was cheesie trying to be someone else.I just dont understand the obsession and I do enjoy reading how EVH did this or that but you guys debate/argue it still..The only people I would believe knew what happend is DF and some of you still will not believe what he says. THen someone says a 50 watter was used on VH 1....Where did that come from? You can't get that sound with a 100 watter??WTF I have a 69 SuperBass and I bet with ED the right guitar and effects will get close. I also dont think alot of people realize how much the playing matters. Again VH has always been my favorite and old VH albums rip...all of them. Sure some are "different" but for some to say 1984 tone wasnt good etc. I bet who ever didnt like 84 tone if you were in the studio when it was recorded your jaw would be on the floor.Im also sure you wouldnt of said " well that guitar tone kinda sucks" I admire some of your commitment cause when i do something I do it 150% but not on stuff that dosent matter.I just dont get it I guess and I meant no harm.
IF you are directing the comment about the 50 watter to me i NEVER said a 100 cant get the sound.
I suggest you re-read what i wrote, and all this shit is hearsay anyway.
I was not there and YOU were not there so who really cares.
As far as i am concerned that peter thorn guy got it so close it is a dead issue now to me :wink:

EJSLPlexi

Post by EJSLPlexi » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:32 am

rgorke wrote:Pete Thorn has also nailed the VH1 tone with his Suhr SL and a DSD. Folks on this forum have come up with several signal paths to the VH1 tone, SL dimed, SL with EQ, Mod 5, Slaving, they will all get you there. Chops are key to Ed's tone as well.
IMO that guy pretty much proved it is a cranked marshall type amp and a hot pickup
I defy anyone to post a clip that is closer to VH's first record tone than what he gets right here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... _6g#t=705s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
GAME OVER! :worthy:

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:11 am

EJSLPlexi wrote:
rgorke wrote:Pete Thorn has also nailed the VH1 tone with his Suhr SL and a DSD. Folks on this forum have come up with several signal paths to the VH1 tone, SL dimed, SL with EQ, Mod 5, Slaving, they will all get you there. Chops are key to Ed's tone as well.
IMO that guy pretty much proved it is a cranked marshall type amp and a hot pickup
I defy anyone to post a clip that is closer to VH's first record tone than what he gets right here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... _6g#t=705s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
IMHO Mark got much closer than Pete both tone wise and playing wise...

mr.twistyneck

Post by mr.twistyneck » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:08 pm

:popcorn:

stef

Post by stef » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:39 pm

EJSLPlexi wrote:

The clips were already posted last year... Maybe you should use the search option. This place is full of great sounding clips: evh (not just VH1 and pre VH1, but also fw, wacf, dd, vh2 etc...), jimi, YJM, etc

strat78's clips from November 2011 are the best, I know it sounds impossible but his clips are closer to VH1 album tone than sinasl1's! I like 68ben nov 16, nov 15, nov27 etc... :champ:

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:44 pm

stef wrote:strat78's clips from November 2011 are the best, I know it sounds impossible but his clips are closer to VH1 album tone than sinasl1's! I like 68ben nov 16, nov 15, nov27 etc... :champ:
I totally agree...Strat78's Destroyer clips are amazing, some of, if not the best I've heard. Even though it is often through a Pod, he really has it going on.

I think Mark got closest overall, but damn there are some amazing clips here that the newbies should really dig into. The "Running With The Devil" tone threads (that I contributed my own terrible clips to) have Thorny's unbelievably great "RWTD" tones...lots of good stuff here if you dig through every thread as I did when I first joined this forum!

EJSLPlexi

Post by EJSLPlexi » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:48 pm

well i guess i am a lazy old fuck? I am 55 years old and dont have the time to be diggin around in forums :lol: so it would have been great if you guys would have posted a link to these exact clips you are raving about ?
for now peter thorn is king o clips for me :wink:

stef

Post by stef » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:30 pm

EJSLPlexi wrote:well i guess i am a lazy old fuck? I am 55 years old and dont have the time to be diggin around in forums :lol: so it would have been great if you guys would have posted a link to these exact clips you are raving about ?
you need to dig for gold, but it will pay off :wink:
start digging from here, but also go back and forth...
http://forum.metroamp.com/viewtopic.php ... &start=225" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:21 am

I dont think Marshall Maniac is the closest. His tone is post product.

Mark, Strat78 and Petey Thorn have the 'IN THE ROOM, In YOUR FACE PASSION' tone and playing and it shows. efraser and Thorny have also gotten there ( Brownland) :wink: .
Rip Ben Wise (StuntDouble) & Mark Abrahamian (Rockstah)

efraser68

Post by efraser68 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:19 am

stef wrote:
EJSLPlexi wrote:well i guess i am a lazy old fuck? I am 55 years old and dont have the time to be diggin around in forums :lol: so it would have been great if you guys would have posted a link to these exact clips you are raving about ?
you need to dig for gold, but it will pay off :wink:
start digging from here, but also go back and forth...
http://forum.metroamp.com/viewtopic.php ... &start=225" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yes, dutch treats are afoot in the basement... :lol:
Remember Ben Wise (aka Stunt Double) & Mark Abrahamian
http://www.soundclick.com/EricFraser" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;