Ed's 1978 touring rig.

The man, the band, and everything else

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

EJSLPlexi
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: Ed's 1978 touring rig.

Post by EJSLPlexi » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:58 am

To be honest and fair i think all of these clips are amazing! i give these guys a lot of credit for taking the time to pursure it and get it so damn close. :champ:
I dont wanna get into this childish BS of who's clip is better than who's.
i am told old and tired and life is too short.
I think i will just kick back and enjoy them ALL! :thumbsup:

stef

Post by stef » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:14 pm

Tone Slinger wrote:I dont think Marshall Maniac is the closest. His tone is post product.

Mark, Strat78 and Petey Thorn have the 'IN THE ROOM, In YOUR FACE PASSION' tone and playing and it shows. efraser and Thorny have also gotten there ( Brownland) :wink: .
I agree about Maniac....
Strat's clip from the top of the page in my previous post is the best 1959 spec EVH clip IMO.
EFraser's mod5 clips are also my favorites (his cradle will rock sounds better than VH', not kidding).... IMHO Eric made better sounding mod5 clips than Rockstah (RIP) did, and I used to love Mark's clips, playing, comments and enthusiasm.
RGalpin is another metro amp hero with great chops and clips, just like Mr Ralle, the list goes on... :clap: :champ:

EJSLPlexi

Post by EJSLPlexi » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:01 pm

stef wrote: http://forum.metroamp.com/viewtopic.php ... &start=225" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The more he changed things up the further away it got.
there are a few clips on that thread that would have made me call it a day,they were pretty much dead on considering he did not use sunset studio and no post production on them.
definitely had the VH I tone nailed on a few of those, i like the clip with the duncan sh5,the super distortion clips and the mighty mite 1800 clip.
if he had been using a all maple neck on the sh5 clip i think that would have had it, the rosewood neck is why he said it was "too dark" EVH used a solid maple neck.
His JB clips were very educational as well, i read where duncan said EVH actually did use that model but i think it was with a alncio II magnet not the standard 5.
gotta give props to that guy strat78 he really put a lot of work into pursuing that tone :thumbsup:

garbeaj
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by garbeaj » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:02 pm

EJSLPlexi wrote:if he had been using a all maple neck on the sh5 clip i think that would have had it, the rosewood neck is why he said it was "too dark" EVH used a solid maple neck.
Well that is a whole other can of worms...many believe the first album was recorded with the black painted Frankenstein with the rosewood strat neck. And many believe it was the Frankenstein as you see it on the cover of the album, minus the Mighty Mite bridge and instead using the original Fender tremolo. But you can read up on that too:)
EJSLPlexi wrote:gotta give props to that guy strat78 he really put a lot of work into pursuing that tone :thumbsup:
Strat78 is a fucking soldier for these tones and yes he has put alot of work into this...he's one of the guys that really know what the hell they are doing.

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:16 pm

He's also (strat78) another dude who seems to have pretty much figured out how to keep his 6 screw in tune as well :wink:
Rip Ben Wise (StuntDouble) & Mark Abrahamian (Rockstah)

EJSLPlexi

Post by EJSLPlexi » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:31 pm

garbeaj wrote: many believe the first album was recorded with the black painted Frankenstein with the rosewood strat neck.But you can read up on that too:)
:stars: black with rosewood? :stars:
EVH was playing the black and white striped strat with a all maple neck when i saw them in '77 at the starwood and this was absolutely before their debut album was out, shit they were not even signed yet!
but let em believe what they want too much conspiracy theory stuff here for me, peace im out!

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:39 pm

EJSLPlexi wrote:
garbeaj wrote: many believe the first album was recorded with the black painted Frankenstein with the rosewood strat neck.But you can read up on that too:)
EVH was playing the black and white striped strat with a all maple neck when i saw them in '77 at the starwood and this was absolutely before their debut album was out, shit they were not even signed yet!
but let em believe what they want too much conspiracy theory stuff here for me, peace im out!
Read the threads and look at the photographic evidence (some of which has been provided by yours truly) and your memory may be jogged... :stars:

Believe me there is a lot of stuff out there that has been proven or almost totally proven by logic and photographic evidence...And hard as it may be to believe, there aren't any conspiracy theories behind the facts:)

stef

Post by stef » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:24 pm

EJSLPlexi wrote: there are a few clips on that thread that would have made me call it a day,they were pretty much dead on considering he did not use sunset studio and no post production on them.
definitely had the VH I tone nailed on a few of those, i like the clip with the duncan sh5,the super distortion clips and the mighty mite 1800 clip.
if he had been using a all maple neck on the sh5 clip i think that would have had it, the rosewood neck is why he said it was "too dark" EVH used a solid maple neck.
gotta give props to that guy strat78 he really put a lot of work into pursuing that tone :thumbsup:
I agree with you! told you some digging would pay off :thumbsup:

I like my brand new SH5 with all maple neck and a hard ash body...

EJSLPlexi

Post by EJSLPlexi » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:48 pm

garbeaj wrote:
EJSLPlexi wrote:
Read the threads and look at the photographic evidence (some of which has been provided by yours truly) and your memory may be jogged... :stars:

Believe me there is a lot of stuff out there that has been proven or almost totally proven by logic and photographic evidence...And hard as it may be to believe, there aren't any conspiracy theories behind the facts:)
I was there watching him live in the club back in 77 before the record came out were you? :wink: he was NOT playing a black strat with a rosewood neck and thats a fact but if you choose to go by a picture and tell me i was seeing things then be my guest :thumbsup:

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:44 pm

The record came out in Feb. '78, but was recorded in Sept. '77.......... long time there. Eddie DID paint his black Franky in '77, but many, think the paint job and Ellsworth/Charvel neck, came AFTER the albums recording (sept. '77). It appears that Ed did, in fact, keep a hot ceramic type pu in his Franky after he painted it, because the 12/31/77 sets were done with the 'striped' Franky. The Boots of that show still have that sizzle and articulation of a hot ceramic type pu.

The point is this, HOW DID ED'S FRANKY LOOK ON THE VH1 RECORDING SESSIONS ? Maybe he had the Ellsworth neck on the all black body ? Maybe not. The thing is this, it seems that the stripes didnt appear until that 12/31/77 gig, since there was a 2 month gig break (Oct.15 to Dec.31st) Most feel the paint job happened then. The pu used on VH1(DSD/MM) was still in this 'newly painted' Franky, but by the '78 world tour, Ed was using a weaker alnico pu.
Rip Ben Wise (StuntDouble) & Mark Abrahamian (Rockstah)

hammered

Post by hammered » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:41 am

EJSLPlexi wrote:I was there watching him live in the club back in 77 before the record came out were you? :wink: he was NOT playing a black strat with a rosewood neck and thats a fact but if you choose to go by a picture and tell me i was seeing things then be my guest :thumbsup:
:lol:

Bore Em at the Forum

Post by Bore Em at the Forum » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:49 am

hammered wrote:
EJSLPlexi wrote:I was there watching him live in the club back in 77 before the record came out were you? :wink: he was NOT playing a black strat with a rosewood neck and thats a fact but if you choose to go by a picture and tell me i was seeing things then be my guest :thumbsup:
People here (not me) have done a lot of work and research. Not theories, they are facts backed up by photos, concert dates, first-hand accounts, etc.

I lurked on here for about 6 months before I started posting. Why? Because there was SO much information, so much homework done by others that I wanted to absorb before I started posting ideas on theories I believed in, but they had already debunked.

Go do some homework on this forum - evidence points to Ed painting that guitar AFTER VH1 was recorded, but BEFORE his late fall/December gigs. In time for the album cover shoot, in time for the promo video shoot for YRGM and RWTD. In time for the gig you saw.

What you saw him play is not necessarily (and not LIKELY) to be what he was holding in his hands in Aug/Sept 77 during the recording of the album.

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:22 am

Tone Slinger wrote:He's also (strat78) another dude who seems to have pretty much figured out how to keep his 6 screw in tune as well :wink:
I haven't heard any tremolo clips from him...do you have any links to posts with these?

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:36 am

EJSLPlexi wrote:
garbeaj wrote:
EJSLPlexi wrote: :stars: black with rosewood? :stars:

I was there watching him live in the club back in 77 before the record came out were you? :wink: he was NOT playing a black strat with a rosewood neck and thats a fact but if you choose to go by a picture and tell me i was seeing things then be my guest :thumbsup:
The question is...when exactly did you see the band in 1977? That might help to narrow down what we are talking about here...

EJSLPlexi

Post by EJSLPlexi » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:05 pm

hammered wrote:
he who laughs last http://forum.metroamp.com/viewtopic.php ... 83#p402483" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:popcorn: