Premier Guitar's review of ADKOT is shoddy

The man, the band, and everything else

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

Guitarjb

Re: Premier Guitar's review of ADKOT is shoddy

Post by Guitarjb » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:33 pm

I wouldn't worry much about what any critics say. As I recall, the critics were never very friendly to VH back in their late-'70s to mid-'80s glory days either. The critics always hated Led Zeppelin in their day as well.

If you like it, then you like it. Great!

If you don't like, then you don't like it. Great!

As for my opinion: critics are almost always completely in love with stuff that I think is mediocre, or downright terrible- and sometimes just ridiculous. To me, Rock/Pop music writers/critics (as a whole- very generally speaking...) seem to be wind-bags who studied writing/journalism rather than music. Individuals who I have known in the past that fancy themselves critics almost always have actually known nothing about music- they just have extremely strong opinions as to what they think is great. In most cases, this usually translates to verbose explanations as to why The Velvet Underground and Patty Smith (to give a few examples...) are hands-down the greatest rock/pop artists ever, no competition.

As for Eddies current sound: based on that video of his solo from the "friends &family" dress rehearsal a few nights ago- his playing and tone sounds great to me. I didn't notice any of that extra mid-range/cocked-wah sound or any weirdness at all. Sounds like he knows how to get the best out of whatever he uses- just like he always has.

-Joe

Rich_D
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by Rich_D » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:34 pm

rdodson wrote:With the modern compressed and hairy sound of the 5153, Ed goes for the wah to replace the dynamic expression in the old Marshall tone. I don't like it as much, but I understand it.
I disagree. I'm hearing pick attack and dynamics for the first time in forever on this record. It is modern and we can tell it's a high-gain amp but I disagree that it's a sterile, over-processed tone with no life or breath. It's not chorusy and cheesy imho, it's got pop and he can make it vocal with pick attack and left hand vibrato. I think the victim in the modern recording process is the snare and that's the only meh I have with the production on this record. Everything takes up so much space in the spectrum that snares don't pierce and make you squint like they're supposed to. Alex is on fire and I wish modern production was a little more spacious and left room to hear it distinctly.
Last edited by Rich_D on Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Interpretation?! I thought I was playing it right!

Rich_D

Post by Rich_D » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:35 pm

Guitarjb wrote:As for my opinion: critics are almost always completely in love with stuff that I think is mediocre, or downright terrible- and sometimes just ridiculous. To me, Rock/Pop music writers/critics (as a whole- very generally speaking...) seem to be wind-bags who studied writing/journalism rather than music. Individuals who I have known in the past that fancy themselves critics almost always have actually known nothing about music- they just have extremely strong opinions as to what they think is great. In most cases, this usually translates to verbose explanations as to why The Velvet Underground and Patty Smith (to give a few examples...) are hands-down the greatest rock/pop artists ever, no competition.

-Joe
ding ding ding

chrisom

Post by chrisom » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:54 pm

+1 Well said. Ditto. The album's fine. Hope to get even more VH in the future. Thank God the long dry spell is finally over! :vh: :rock:

rdodson

Post by rdodson » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:32 pm

Rich_D wrote:
rdodson wrote:With the modern compressed and hairy sound of the 5153, Ed goes for the wah to replace the dynamic expression in the old Marshall tone. I don't like it as much, but I understand it.
I disagree. I'm hearing pick attack and dynamics for the first time in forever on this record. It is modern and we can tell it's a high-gain amp but I disagree it's a sterile, over-processed tone with no life or breath. It's not chorusy and cheesy imho, it's got pop and he can make it vocal with pick attack and left hand vibrato. I think the victim in the modern recording process is the snare and that's the only meh I have with the production on this record. Everything takes up so much space in the spectrum that snares don't pierce and make you squint like they're supposed to. Alex is on fire and I wish modern production was a little more spacious and left room to hear it distinctly.
Yes, very well-said.
Ron Dodson
Dallas
Romans 9:16

Rich_D

Post by Rich_D » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:40 pm

rdodson wrote:
Rich_D wrote:
I disagree. I'm hearing pick attack and dynamics for the first time in forever on this record. It is modern and we can tell it's a high-gain amp but I disagree it's a sterile, over-processed tone with no life or breath. It's not chorusy and cheesy imho, it's got pop and he can make it vocal with pick attack and left hand vibrato. I think the victim in the modern recording process is the snare and that's the only meh I have with the production on this record. Everything takes up so much space in the spectrum that snares don't pierce and make you squint like they're supposed to. Alex is on fire and I wish modern production was a little more spacious and left room to hear it distinctly.
Yes, very well-said.
Wait, I'm arguing with you! :lol:

rdodson

Post by rdodson » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:12 pm

Rich_D wrote:
rdodson wrote: Yes, very well-said.
Wait, I'm arguing with you! :lol:
When someone disagrees, and does it well, making some points you didn't consider, then I think you have to be a man and recognize it. You made great points. :-)

Ed's tone is a step forward from where it was. I do think it is less dynamic (not un-dynamic) than during the six-pack days and the wah is an expressive replacement, but I didn't explain that well.
Ron Dodson
Dallas
Romans 9:16

T.L.

Post by T.L. » Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:12 pm

While it's true that "critics mean nothing", I thought the review was good and quite accurate.
VH is capable of so much more than this new "Truth" album, and the lack of Mike's vocals leave a definite void...

dirtycooter

Post by dirtycooter » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:16 pm

I am not really impressed with the actual guitar tones really-I feel let down here mostly in this aspect. Actually not bad or terrible terrible, just its not very inspiring to me to chase what he has now. although I will say this........IT SMOKES CHICKENFOOT BY A LONG SHOT!!!!

I have to say this record really has some places that take me straight back to the 70's era and its sweet cause I hear alot of younger kids latching on to that stuff more and more these days-and its cool to see. Then there are other places that leave me kinda askin "is this actually VH?"
Magazine writers always wanna come off like an authority usually. I find that funny sometimes cause its always gonna boil down to opinion. Slash has a huge following as a guitar hero now. While I liked his stuff and they made great music-I never once thought of him as a actual guitar hero. I liked the band as whole and thats it. They actually had a different thing goin on that no one else really ever had. But I never thought once of him sharin the same light as Ed, Randy Rhoads, Jimi, SRV, etc.

Anyway-I am and have been listening to adkot everyday now. I am still soaking it all in. And there is alot to soak!!! Some of Eds solos on this record just whoop all out ass!! Listen to stay frosty......... 8)

I DO wanna hear another record though-I hope they pick up and record record record record cause I will be listening to anything I can get my hands on. For now though I am glad we have this and wanna encourage in every way they continue on.
Last edited by dirtycooter on Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rgalpin

Post by rgalpin » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:17 pm

If you like Van Halen, you like this album... they never came close to creating a work like this w/o DLR. I really like Van Hagar. But it never was VH. This is. FINALLY...

Ironically, even though the songs are re-hashes of old material - the album on a whole takes us to a brand new place, tone wise, playing wise, song wise. In the end, it's everything but a re-hash.

Star*Guitar

Post by Star*Guitar » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:20 am

True Ralph. But not everything is a re-hash correct? Get Frosty, Bullethead, come to mind, The last few songs on the second side kick it up a knotch in my opinion. Not one of them a re-hash from what I hear. Am I mistaken?
Star*Guitar

fivecoyote

Post by fivecoyote » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:43 am

My "review" (don't like that word) with Pete Thorn -- or is that the other way around (lol) -- if you haven't seen it.... We both chose/choose to dig it for what it is (which is great, imo) rather than lament what it isn't.

http://www.woodytone.com/2012/02/10/new ... -big-time/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
At it awhile, still learnin'

Get woodalicious tonology factoid learnin' at http://www.WOODYTONE.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;!

T.L.

Post by T.L. » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:17 pm

I agree that it's better than Chickenfoot. The only thing Chickenfoot has going for it is Michael Anthony...

rgalpin

Post by rgalpin » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:26 pm

One word: Honeybabysweetiedoll

reggyboy1970

Post by reggyboy1970 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:45 pm

this pretty much sums up how i feel... and I'm not alone in thinking this:
http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/756 ... kind-truth" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;