So can a Bugera 1960 do VH? YES!

The man, the band, and everything else

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

Blix
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: So can a Bugera 1960 do VH? YES!

Post by Blix » Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:35 am

MakoML wrote:That's about what my home brew Duncan Pearly Gates / Custom Custom Hybrid measures out at........... which coil is the hotter coil on your pickup, screw or slug? Yours have an A2 magnet ? Those recent video clips have a really tasty sound.

I have the Bugera 1960 classic I picked up for $167 shipped last spring, and have been doing the variac thing with it. I wanted it to use as a power amp for slaving but it flat out rocks on its own right.
Blix wrote:The Kramer have a custom wind from http://tonefordays.com

Going by the "broken pickup" theory of EVH I had him wind me a really mismatched pickup, one coil 4k, the other 7k, and it sounds fantastic, and cleans up better than any other pickup I have tried :)

Man $167 is such a steal.

The screw coil is the hotter of the two, and A2 magnet indeed. :)

Midnitelitecompany
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by Midnitelitecompany » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:29 am

I've just aquired this gem. However it has a problem with what I am hoping is only the "volume 1" pot. The amp seems to hiss, and doesn't achieve the gain it is supposed to. Plugged into the the bottom left hand input of the four..... it's a clean sounding amp on the other channels but has zero gain, to speak of. I don't know if that's normal either... the volume 1 pot seems to have very little resistance when turned up or down, opposed to all the other potentiometers. The rest are tight. I am trying to find this potentiometer online, I'm trying to figure out what it's rating is, 100-500k? Anyone know if I can just replace it? If so where can I find the part for this? Thanks!!

noisenet

Post by noisenet » Fri May 04, 2018 12:49 pm

Blix wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:14 am
I have a video in my "RobeRock" series lol. :)

Bugera and Suhr. Pretty suspect version of Panama, but it is what it is :)

Here's an equally suspect version of Poundcake with the 5150, but it shows how nicely it works.

Man, your videos sound fantastic man! Based on the sounds you're getting, and a bunch of other videos I've watched/heard I ordered a 1960. I have ZERO experience with a plexi style amp. For the EVH thing how would you recommend setting the amp? I've tried the classic 'everything all the way' and it gets a bit muddy. If I back off the lows it helps. As far as I can tell running parallel gets me closest to the tone but not enough gain - the harmonics in Panama, for example, choke out...don't ring through. If I go to cascaded it gets me more gain but gets kinda flubby.

Any suggestions? Thank you in advance and kudos on the killer playing!

noisenet

Post by noisenet » Fri May 04, 2018 3:42 pm

So I've had a couple hours to mess with my Bugera 1960 - I've never played through a Plexi type amp so there's definitely a steep learning curve. I think I'm liking it though.

Quick question - when I dial back the guitar's volume pot I'm hearing a bit of a hum. It comes through on this video - I dunno whether it's an A/C issue in my house (no other amp does it) or something in the amp - anyone got any ideas?

Video doesn't seem to be embedding - any idea what I'm doing wrong?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WSTS0qSExw[/youtube]

Blix

Post by Blix » Fri May 04, 2018 9:35 pm

Just checked out your video Steve, sound absolutely killer!) :toast:

For the EVH stuff I use the upper left input (parallel) and keep volume 1 on 10, volume 2 off, everything else on 10. :)

noisenet

Post by noisenet » Sat May 05, 2018 2:21 am

Hey Blix, thanks man, I really appreciate it. It'll be a few days before I can dig back into the amp but I can't wait to try what you recommended here. Thank you, I really appreciate it!

jexuxix

Post by jexuxix » Thu May 17, 2018 5:21 am

Blix wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 9:35 pm

For the EVH stuff I use the upper left input (parallel) and keep volume 1 on 10, volume 2 off, everything else on 10. :)
what was the EQ configuration that you used to get the EVH sound?

Blix

Post by Blix » Thu May 17, 2018 8:46 am

jexuxix wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 5:21 am
Blix wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 9:35 pm

what was the EQ configuration that you used to get the EVH sound?
Uhm, read what you quoted, the answer is there already... :)

vanhalenzr

Post by vanhalenzr » Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:06 am

jof006 wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:30 pm
Hi Blix,

Sounds good.
I've been very tempted to get a 1960 Infinium - I love bargain gear that punches above its weight.

A few questions if you don't mind:
1. Do you intend to tweak it to try and go browner?
2. Any chance of tracing the circuit and posting a schematic, or at least letting us know which Marshall schematic it resembles?
3. Is the PPIMV a Lar/Mar or something else?

Thanks.
Here's the schematic! The people of music tribes send me the original schematic of Bugera 1960 infinium, cause only I found the 1960 first generation online and I asked them. Very polite people!

Kramer18

Post by Kramer18 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:51 pm

Hello!!! The first thing to say is that I am new to the forum, although I have been reading you for some time.
I am from Spain and here the Bugera 1960 is not so well known.
Thanks to your opinions, I bought a 1960 bugera a year ago and I am delighted.
the sound is the same as the early marshall super lead and not like the current reissues.
and all for only 350 euros !!! 😱😱
Amazing how something so cheap can sound this good.
the live brown sound of the well-configured 1960 bugera is alluring and very similar.
surely with the appropriate reverb and delay, it would be very difficult to distinguish with closed eyes

jof006

Post by jof006 » Wed Nov 01, 2023 1:46 pm

vanhalenzr wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:06 am
Here's the schematic! The people of music tribes send me the original schematic of Bugera 1960 infinium, cause only I found the 1960 first generation online and I asked them. Very polite people!
Did you forget to attach the schematic or did it disappear at some point?

Anyway, not sure about the rules for posting a link to it here, but I'll give it a go - Bugera 1960 Infinium Schematic
Otherwise search the web for "Links to Bugera schematics".

Unsurprisingly, the 1960 INFINIUM version very closely resembles the Marshall Randy Rhoads 1959RR.

Things to note (according to the schematic):
22nF coupling cap on Bright channel, same as 1959RR
680nF cap across 820R on "V2" cathode (1959RR has no cap)
Nice bit of tranny relay switching off the input sockets to achieve the Cascade.