The man, the band, and everything else

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

Blix
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: So can a Bugera 1960 do VH? YES!

Post by Blix » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:27 pm

ErickC wrote:
Blix wrote:http://soundcloud.com/amund-blix/bugera ... anama-full

It's does the 1984 tone pretty decently. Now I wish I could do Panama decently :)
It actually sounds more 5150-ish/FUCK era. Did you add a harmonizer?
Hmm, 5150 and F.U.C.K aren't even remotely comparable IMO, 5150 is Marshall, FUCK is Soldano and CAE Preamp mostly, a very different tone. Lots of Eventide yes, but base tone is very different.

The original Panama have harmonizer slightly added on the right side, which I simulated with a slight chorus here, was probably a bit too much I guess.... :)
Don't have the ability to record in stereo yet, if I had I could use my Eventide H3000 and come way closer, but this is how it is for now.

vanhalen5150

Post by vanhalen5150 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:49 pm

It has some nice midrange honk.
12000 Metro Kit

ErickC

Post by ErickC » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:14 pm

Blix wrote:
ErickC wrote:
Blix wrote:http://soundcloud.com/amund-blix/bugera ... anama-full

It's does the 1984 tone pretty decently. Now I wish I could do Panama decently :)
It actually sounds more 5150-ish/FUCK era. Did you add a harmonizer?
Hmm, 5150 and F.U.C.K aren't even remotely comparable IMO, 5150 is Marshall, FUCK is Soldano and CAE Preamp mostly, a very different tone. Lots of Eventide yes, but base tone is very different.

The original Panama have harmonizer slightly added on the right side, which I simulated with a slight chorus here, was probably a bit too much I guess.... :)
Don't have the ability to record in stereo yet, if I had I could use my Eventide H3000 and come way closer, but this is how it is for now.
I should have left it as 5150-ish then 8)
I know the FUCK era was a soldano as the tone is very shimmery very cleanish, I just associate it with the harmonizer which is what i thought i heard in your clip. no dis was meant.
Im liking what youre getting out of the Bugera. It should be no different than getting a low-mid budget guitar as a mod platform and upgrading it to your liking. Bugera got a bad rap early on but have heard nothing but great things of the newer releases of the past couple years, so people shouldn't be quick to judge.

Blix

Post by Blix » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:15 am

ErickC wrote: I should have left it as 5150-ish then 8)
I know the FUCK era was a soldano as the tone is very shimmery very cleanish, I just associate it with the harmonizer which is what i thought i heard in your clip. no dis was meant.
Im liking what youre getting out of the Bugera. It should be no different than getting a low-mid budget guitar as a mod platform and upgrading it to your liking. Bugera got a bad rap early on but have heard nothing but great things of the newer releases of the past couple years, so people shouldn't be quick to judge.

:thumbsup:

I got a monster 300w dummy load resistor in the mail yesterday, we'll see how it responds to slaving. :)

Kapo_Polenton

Post by Kapo_Polenton » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:52 pm

Coming back to this topic.. not sure if i remembered to ask what mics were used to record this and speaker?

Blix

Post by Blix » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:25 am

Kapo_Polenton wrote:Coming back to this topic.. not sure if i remembered to ask what mics were used to record this and speaker?

Mic is a Sennheiser e906 and the speakers in the EVH 2x12" are G12H 70th Anniversary.

xfatalherox

Post by xfatalherox » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:27 am

So the PPIMV realistically doesnt bring the amp down to bedroom levels? How low can you get it while maintaing that VH tone?

Blix

Post by Blix » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:32 am

xfatalherox wrote:So the PPIMV realistically doesnt bring the amp down to bedroom levels? How low can you get it while maintaing that VH tone?
Nope, no bedroom levels really.
Now if you use the cascaded input and PPIMV you can get it down pretty low, again not bedroom low, but quite a bit lower than with the MV bypassed.
The best VH tones happens with MV bypassed though.. :)

Kapo_Polenton

Post by Kapo_Polenton » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:59 pm

I think the 906 will be my next mic. Do you rest it against the grill cloth or have it off like a 57?

So that amp was run balls out on the master volume??? Holy $hit that must have been loud. Do you have a recording closet or did you record the cab i another room? :dlr:

Blix

Post by Blix » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:29 am

Kapo_Polenton wrote:I think the 906 will be my next mic. Do you rest it against the grill cloth or have it off like a 57?

So that amp was run balls out on the master volume??? Holy $hit that must have been loud. Do you have a recording closet or did you record the cab i another room? :dlr:

Master volume bypassed and cranked :)
In the same room, but I covered the cab with some heavy blankets, that helped a bit.
The 906 I had dead center and against the grill cloth.

spazowsky

Post by spazowsky » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:35 pm

Blix do you have any control over biasing with that Infinium stuff in?

Blix

Post by Blix » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:38 pm

spazowsky wrote:Blix do you have any control over biasing with that Infinium stuff in?
Nope, no control over bias. I have to figure out how to gain that control... :)
I bet there's a trimpot on the Infinium circuit board, to set the baseline.
So far it seems to bias EL34's to around 32Ma with a 480-ish plate voltage.

julkke
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by julkke » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:41 pm

Youre running greenbacks, correct? How didn't they blow up being ran full blast. :shock: It must be key part of the tone, the last bit. Speakers begging for mercy.

Blix

Post by Blix » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:57 pm

julkke wrote:Youre running greenbacks, correct? How didn't they blow up being ran full blast. :shock: It must be key part of the tone, the last bit. Speakers begging for mercy.
I removed two power tubes and said a prayer :)
The G12H 70th Ann in the EVH cab are 30watt each I believe , so with a the amp cranked cranked I was certainly pushing it!
But as the amp distorts it becomes a tad softer, and the transients isn't as hard, it would probably be worse if I ran the amp at a bit less gain with more clean punch.

mpmusic

Post by mpmusic » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:53 am

@ blix

Sounds awesome man!

Which tubes did you remove (1234) 1+2 ?

Would it be possible to pull 3 tubes and run it at 25 Watt?

Best Regards,

Marcel