Peavey 5150 combo Sheffield

The man, the band, and everything else

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

Ruben

Peavey 5150 combo Sheffield

Post by Ruben » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:55 pm

Just borrowed a 5150 combo (first run) and I have to say: it sounds pretty damn good!

To me it instantely sounds better than the 50 and 100 watt EVH III I used to own. Strange ain't it?

So, do not underestimate this brutal combo :) Those Sheffield 1200 speakers sound good also.

Any 5150 combo users here? What about live and recording situations?

Bore Em at the Forum
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: Peavey 5150 combo Sheffield

Post by Bore Em at the Forum » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:07 pm

I have a 5150 combo that I picked up last year for about $350 in a used clearance. Haven't ever used it live.....

I used one in the studio back in 2002. I got an absolutely fantastic rhythm sound out of it - I can play those tapes for people to this day and they ask me what amp I used....

Oddly enough, the studio we were in sort of used it as their "house amp" for any band that came through. I just talked to someone who used that studio LAST WEEK - and they are STILL using that combo - and the guy I talked to was really happy using it and loved how it turned out.

Hell of an endorsement that it holds its own in a studio over a 10 yr span.

popskull

Post by popskull » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:40 pm

Yes I got a 5150 combo and love mine-have used it in a VH tribute band and live with other bands and not had any problems in the 8yrs Ive had it and had some guys say they dig the sound of it-I do use a BBE sonic maximizer with it and that thickens the tone..I also have a 5150-3 and use it for the W/D/W setup--Both are good sounding amps to me..

bman5150

Post by bman5150 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:17 pm

I've got a 5150 combo. Really never fell in love with it but I do like it more now that I had it biased a bit warmer. Still, the last gig I had I could have used the 5150 but instead opted for the c30 but I did use the 5150 combo as a 212 cab. It sounded very good-one of the rare times I barely fiddled with my sound all night. I also was using my ep+ pedal and that surely made things better (best pedal I've EVER bought barre none!)

I still need to use the ep+ in front of my 5150 to see if it helps the tone some.

My criticisms for my 5150 combo are:
-reverb sucks (I use a pedal in the loop now)
-not the greatest pick attack response unless I this turned up pretty loud (I have a weber ma)
-fizzy unless you turn it up(again, weber helps keep things reasonable)
-cold tone; amp begs for some pedals to brighten it up a bit

-a beast amp that you could probably play a stadium with
-excellent for metal
-a workhorse
-speakers aren't too bad. Not awesome but decent
-responsive to guitar volume knob variations
-greAt bass response

See sig for a live performance with my old band with the 5150. I did like the tone that day especially for the classic rock stuff. I am using a weber ma and the guitar pickups are split. Think I had the bright switch engaged, low gain input. What you hear was on the lead channel with the pre gin rolled way back-probably to 3. Crunch is off.
Peavey Classic 30
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9kgRpS2dY8M&feature=plcp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Landry LS100 G3
http://youtu.be/76xxldz_Tj4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://youtu.be/7OlOp5TA5Js" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

justahack
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by justahack » Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:17 pm

Basic question about the 5150 combo. It sounds better with a stronger pickup like a Dimarzio Super Distortion than a weaker pickup like a PAF to me. A PAF style pickup sounds very thin and crappy. Since it's a high gain amp, I would think just the opposite but it seems like the high gain wants to be fed a higher signal. Can anyone tell me technically what's going on there? Thanks in advance.

bman5150

Post by bman5150 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:44 pm

justahack wrote:Basic question about the 5150 combo. It sounds better with a stronger pickup like a Dimarzio Super Distortion than a weaker pickup like a PAF to me. A PAF style pickup sounds very thin and crappy. Since it's a high gain amp, I would think just the opposite but it seems like the high gain wants to be fed a higher signal. Can anyone tell me technically what's going on there? Thanks in advance.
Funny you say that, as my main guitar had a sd1 in it for a long time until recently. I now have a s-d tb5 with a ceramic mag and haven't played the 5150 with it yet. Then again, I think my peavey wolfgangs pups are pretty hot...modeled after a super distortion right? Sounds ok with that guitar but still not totally feelin it. The sound clips in my sig are with that guitar and like I said, I did like my tone that day. :what:
Peavey Classic 30
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9kgRpS2dY8M&feature=plcp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Landry LS100 G3

Ruben

Post by Ruben » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:16 pm

Updated the 5150 with 2 Blackback speakers and JJ pre amp ubes. Big difference.
And indeed, the amp beggs for an EP-PRE to come alive

Currently is has 2 Rube 6L6 tubes. Any better 6L6 out there?

Wonder what else can be done.... :)

Pasian4life

Post by Pasian4life » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:11 pm

I'm using JJ's and like them for power tubes. I hear great things about Sevtlana and SED winged C.
For pre tubes a mix of tungsol, solvtek LPS, and Chinese with great results.

Recently I separated the head from the cab, very easy. Swapped the Sheffields for v30's with good results.
Debating on using a v30 and something else to see if it can get any better.

My first post. :hairband:

dirtycooter

Post by dirtycooter » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:30 am

Try some JJ 6L6S in there. And look for a way to drain off the noise on the lead channel. That was that amps biggest problem....all that 747 idling in the background like you were near a run way..... sheesh it was unliveable.
The amp has a cool sound but it was lurking under all that noise and hiss.

Ruben

Post by Ruben » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:08 am

Not much noise and don't use the lead channel anyway

So JJ's right? What to expect Ruby vs JJ?

bman5150

Post by bman5150 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:39 am

Ruben wrote:Not much noise and don't use the lead channel anyway

So JJ's right? What to expect Ruby vs JJ?
The JJ's noticeably reduced the amp's hiss for me. I think mine came with Rubys - still have them sitting in a box somewhere!

Last time I gigged with the 5150, I didn't touch the lead channel. Used the low gain input and normal channel. STILL tons og gain/crunch!
Peavey Classic 30
Landry LS100 G3

Pasian4life

Post by Pasian4life » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:31 am

I never use the lead, JJ 6l6 on rhythm channel, I switch between high and low input depending on the type of music. Tungsol in V1, solvtek LPS in the phase inverter for best results. In the loop I run a ISP decimator, ep booster, old ibanez delay, Sometimes boss ge7 eq. Seymour Duncan 78 custom bridge pickup and roll back the volume control for clean. Very versatile, most any genre with this amp. Just ordered a Creamback to pair with a V30 for experiment.

Expect the Jj 6l6 to be cleaner vs the ruby, but the V1 and PI slots are key as well.
The Sheffields are actually good if you crank the beast.