Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: Van Halen Tuning with Peterson Reference

Post by Leotis » Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:53 pm

16/2= 8.

Leotis

Post by Leotis » Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:23 pm

Still not sure why 67 Che Guitarra Maker pretends to care about this place when he spews this kinda shit over at his knitting circle:
(And for LLL/Flanders/Lopes who seems to have reading comprehension problems, I don't think Che is someone else- I know he's 67 Melody Maker)

http://guitaramped.com/forum/metroamp-t ... j-t55.html

http://guitaramped.com/forum/metro-forum-turds-t78.html

http://guitaramped.com/forum/new-domain ... z-t72.html

http://guitaramped.com/forum/table-scraps-t80.html

http://guitaramped.com/forum/a-lot-of-p ... f-t82.html

http://guitaramped.com/forum/metroamp-b ... e-t81.html

http://guitaramped.com/forum/phil-knows ... e-t84.html

http://guitaramped.com/forum/metroamp-o ... n-t63.html

MetroAmp: "What happened to the life of this place?"

Postby Che Guitarra » Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:13 pm

jnew

I was going through many of the threads in this section and there were some great things going on. "George saw Ed's amp?" Was one of them. Quite a few others as well but then suddenly, it's Ghost Town USA. No more building lessons to share? :(

:roll:

The 10 or 15 guys who do all the posting over there now are not only stupid, but this proves they're also delusional... :lol:

They talk down to everyone, set themselves up as some kind of authorities in their own minds, and then take turns pouncing and tag-teaming anyone who is not in their little high-school-like clique... and then they sit there and wonder aloud where everyone went.

What a bunch of dumbasses. :lol:[/url]

Here's just a few choice quotes for those of you who can't be bothered to go over to that shit hole...

"Re: MetroAmp takes out the Garbeaj

Postby LLL » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:13 pm
Mightymike sucking up:

http://forum.metroamp.com/viewtopic.php ... 1&start=30

It would be a shame if someone with a lot to contribute was run off by an arm chair quarterback.
I really enjoy Brian K's posts because they give insight and a new set of things to try for people who actually fire up a soldering iron.. That's the spirit in which I've taken in all the info here. Any skepticism I have is worked out at my work bench, not in a contributors face.

Thank you Brian K for the wealth of information you shared and welcome. I can't wait to try the things you listed

What a choad. You can practically hear the slurping noises... :lol:"

"

MetroAmp: "What happened to the life of this place?"

Postby Che Guitarra » Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:13 pm

jnew

I was going through many of the threads in this section and there were some great things going on. "George saw Ed's amp?" Was one of them. Quite a few others as well but then suddenly, it's Ghost Town USA. No more building lessons to share? :(

:roll:

The 10 or 15 guys who do all the posting over there now are not only stupid, but this proves they're also delusional... :lol:

They talk down to everyone, set themselves up as some kind of authorities in their own minds, and then take turns pouncing and tag-teaming anyone who is not in their little high-school-like clique... and then they sit there and wonder aloud where everyone went.

What a bunch of dumbasses. :lol:"

"
Last edited by Leotis on Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Leotis

Post by Leotis » Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:31 pm

A few more. You guys are real brave, taking shots at people over there when you know they can't defend themselves and hoped they wouldn't see it....

http://guitaramped.com/forum/awangotang ... p-t59.html

A tale of two variacs...

Postby Che Guitarra » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:43 pm
Here's how dysfunctional those idiots at MetroAmp are:

The whole "two variacs" thing was first mentioned there at MetroAmp 10 or 11 years ago. There were two separate threads where people posted that EVH ran a variac between the amp and the cab.

Here's one from 2005: http://forum.metroamp.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3587

Scroll down and look for the user post by 5150loveeddie where he spells it out.

Then notice how, in typical MetroAmp fashion, the resident know-it-all at that time (Mark A) tells the poster that he doesn't know what he's talking about.

Here's the other one. Again, from 2005... same user, 5150loveeddie

http://forum.metroamp.com/viewtopic.php ... &start=180

This time they simply ignore him and continue fumbling around in the dark.

Fast forward to a decade later... these turds claim a new discovery by running a variac between the head and cab and go apeshit crazy over it for months.

"Phil Knows His Shite"

Postby LLL » Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:21 pm
:lol:

This Metro crap has become my favorite topic now! Cuz it's just so damn hilarious! :P

So yeah, this Detherow-dingleberry-who-the-fuck-ever punk says:

Phil KNOWS his shite and knows he's right.

viewtopic.php?f=49&t=42944&start=240

That's fuckin-a funny... cuz I've seen Phil play... now, he may know his shite in that pointy little pinhead of his, but when his fingers are doing a little
happy dance on their own while trying to actually play the guitar, knowing your shite doesn't amount to jack shite. :roll:

vh junkie

Post by vh junkie » Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:05 pm

Even if 67 Melody Maker is Che Guitarra... why are you posting all of these hateful links to this other forum? Seems like you are playing right in to their hands? Unless your one of them too?
"With all due respect, sir, you're beginning to bore the hell out of me."
- Gunny Highway

Leotis

Post by Leotis » Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:36 pm

Nope...not at all. I'm posting those links to show what kind of a two-faced liar he is...but of course, he won't own up to it. He's only here to stir shit but he's too much of a coward to have the courage of his convictions. I guess I'm the only one bothered by the fact that he pretends to care when he's here while he spews that kind of vitriol other places where he thinks no one will see it....?

plexified
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by plexified » Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:22 am

Well aside from the bickering , back to tuning with a Peterson.

Garbaej , for you to say you agree with me and understand what I am talking about by saying that yes A=440 is not as pleasant as 430.65 hertz is accurate , but quite far off my initial point.

I understand you using the Peterson , in which I have 30 years experience with and my friend James Taylor does too and he prefers a Peterson tuning of...

E -3
B -6
G -4
D -8
A -10
E -12

This is person with a Peterson strobe tuner and his preferred tunings . He is stipulating the "-" as a minus cents from A 440 hertz standard USA tuning.

Now, if you do not have a Peterson tuner , which is no more accurate than a meter that measures actual HERTZ frequency . Plus the Peterson is a old piece of gear.

An app for your cellphone that measures frequency in hertz is free and available to everyone. Able to acoustically sample the tone.

Yes a person will have to actually know how to tune an instrument instead of looking for blinking green lights indicating OK .

That being said , it is a hertz reading that allows you to still accurately measure to attain proper intonation to begin with .

With this being done, I understand your not of correction for individual strings to play all through low and high positions.

Notice how James Taylor is very accurate in his observation of this.

My tuning point is the greatest path to resonance and harmonics even with chromatic tuning as you say is flawed. And it is , however , my tuning blurs this with resonance and harmonics. The B string is the big issue and compromise in an observant player. Also the Buzz Feiten nut is another compensation that is to be acknowledged as another correction here.

So you are very inept in your observations , however , you are not yet able to experience my point as I have pointed out.

The compensation is needed less when the instrument is in harmony , blossoming with harmonics and overtones that mask the intonation and compensations. That was my point . It actually meets you mid way and dials back the 'corrections' as the harmonics and overtones negate the need.

Megaro

Post by Megaro » Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:24 am

I got a Peterson Strobo Plus after following this thread and talking to garbeaj about it. I really dig the tuner.

Try this out and let me know what you think. I play along some with the circulated live Van Halen boots from the first tour. I think that Ed was tuning down for at least some of the shows to 1/4 step. Like on Manchester and Ipswich. To play along with those live gigs, I adjust the cents to +50 from the normal sweetened E flat. Sounds really close to me. Whaddya think ?

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:53 am

plexified wrote:Well aside from the bickering , back to tuning with a Peterson.
My thread is titled 'Van Halen Tuning with Peterson Reference'...maybe I should have called it 'Van Halen Tuning with Peterson StroboPlus HD digital strobe tuner with built-in tuning offset pre-sets and adjustable cent and hz references' but I went with 'Van Halen Tuning with Peterson Reference'...maybe I should go with the longer title to make it a little more clear?
plexified wrote:Garbaej , for you to say you agree with me and understand what I am talking about by saying that yes A=440 is not as pleasant as 430.65 hertz is accurate , but quite far off my initial point.
I'm not sure where I made an error here. I was simply agreeing with you about the fact that A=440 is not as pleasant as the A=430.65 hz figure that you have noted. I don't think I ever really engaged in any conversation with you regarding your "initial point", so I'm not sure how I made some sort of error in not responding to your "initial point". I read through your 'Ultimate Harmonics Theory Explained...' thread back then and I NEVER disagreed with you in any way.
Our threads involve two totally different subjects.... This thread, titled 'Van Halen Tuning with Peterson Reference' addresses me finding and notating the specific tunings that are present on the Van Halen recordings only and specifically. I gave some references along the way to help define the general concept of offset tuning for those that were skeptical or unfamiliar with the concept, but this thread has always been about tunings that exist on Van Halen recordings.

I've never made a judgement about your tuning theories being right or wrong or somehow "inept" to use the term you used in reference to me for some unknown reason.
plexified wrote:I understand you using the Peterson , in which I have 30 years experience with and my friend James Taylor does too and he prefers a Peterson tuning of...

E -3
B -6
G -4
D -8
A -10
E -12

This is person with a Peterson strobe tuner and his preferred tunings . He is stipulating the "-" as a minus cents from A 440 hertz standard USA tuning.

Now, if you do not have a Peterson tuner , which is no more accurate than a meter that measures actual HERTZ frequency . Plus the Peterson is a old piece of gear.

An app for your cellphone that measures frequency in hertz is free and available to everyone. Able to acoustically sample the tone.

Yes a person will have to actually know how to tune an instrument instead of looking for blinking green lights indicating OK .

That being said , it is a hertz reading that allows you to still accurately measure to attain proper intonation to begin with .

With this being done, I understand your not of correction for individual strings to play all through low and high positions.

Notice how James Taylor is very accurate in his observation of this.
I'm not sure, but are you saying that James Taylor of "Fire And Rain" fame is a personal friend of yours? I included a video clip from that James Taylor which succinctly demonstrates WHAT a tuning offset is and HOW and WHY a tuning offset works. In the clip I posted, James Taylor actually used a needle based quartz tuner that had a limited plus or minus cent reference...he made no reference to hz references in that clip. Once again, James Taylor (he of "Carolina In My Mind" fame) did NOT use any Peterson tuner in that clip, so I'm confused about what you are saying when you are saying he is "a person with a Peterson strobe tuner"...that is if you are referring to the same "James Taylor".

Also, I never said that a tuner that measures hz was more or less accurate than a tuner that measures cents...the Peterson StroboPlus HD measures both and I have not ever made any statement that "hz" or "cents" as measurements are any more or less accurate than each other.

Also, I don't understand what you mean when you say that a "Peterson is an old piece of gear". Once again, the tuner that I am using for reference in this Van Halen recording specific tuning thread is NOT an old piece of gear like a mechanical Peterson or Conn strobe tuner from the 70s. It has been around for about 6 years or so, so I wouldn't say that it is old and I wouldn't say that the tuning offsets included as presets in the Peterson software or the digital strobe technology that allow measurement and tuning offsets in either cents or hertz is somehow "old" or less accurate than some other tuner.
plexified wrote:My tuning point is the greatest path to resonance and harmonics even with chromatic tuning as you say is flawed. And it is , however , my tuning blurs this with resonance and harmonics. The B string is the big issue and compromise in an observant player. Also the Buzz Feiten nut is another compensation that is to be acknowledged as another correction here.

The compensation is needed less when the instrument is in harmony , blossoming with harmonics and overtones that mask the intonation and compensations. That was my point . It actually meets you mid way and dials back the 'corrections' as the harmonics and overtones negate the need
I never did anything but agree with you about these points, so I'm mystified as to why you brought this up...
plexified wrote:So you are very inept in your observations , however , you are not yet able to experience my point as I have pointed out.
This is the biggest mystery of all...how could my observations be "inept"? Just because I'm not interested in personally tuning a guitar to see how I like your "vibration of the Earth and our souls/Ultimate Harmonics Theory" doesn't mean that any of my points are "inept".

The fact is that I agree with you that chromatic tuning is the enemy of pleasant intervals on guitars or any stringed instruments.

How is it that I am somehow "inept" because I am focusing on finding and notating the specific tunings on VAN HALEN recordings without judgement or pretense to know or care WHY or HOW they exist.

I leave it up to you and support you 100% in YOUR particular endeavor, which if I am correct in my understanding, is to say that a particular reference for A in a certain quantity of hertz is better for all instruments in general and more pleasing to the ear and the Earth and our own physical and spiritual vibrations in general.

Please, make no mistake, I DO NOT DISAGREE WITH YOU. If I understand your posts (and I'm completely open to the possibility that I have NOT understood your posts), you are speaking about something completely different than what I am speaking about. I don't believe that you are claiming to notate the specific tunings that are present on Van Halen recordings specifically...because that is in fact what I am doing in this thread. And I don't think anyone could think that I have anything other than positive and encouraging comments for you and your "Earth vibration" (for lack of a shorter term) hertz specific tuning for instruments in general thread.

:toast:

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:05 pm

Very good 'Black Friday' deal going on for the Peterson StroboPlus HD...It is normally $139.99, on sale now for just $108.99!

http://www.petersontuners.com/shop/promo/blackfriday

Incredibly, Peterson is also offering the $40 metronome upgrade for FREE.

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:04 pm

Here are the tuning offsets that I have found for "Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love" from the Van Halen album.

All six strings are tuned "UP" +30.0 Cents from 1/2 Step down or Eb tuning, again, this is when using Peterson's "Sweetend GTR" preset. Actual pitches will be slightly different. I am happy to share the actual pitches to anyone who wants them via PM.

I used my Musikraft/Locke '78 Frankenstein replica to find the tuning and I used the DCC Compact Classics 24kt Gold Master CD and the isolated guitar track for reference.

The tuning for "Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love" is the same as the tuning for the clean guitar track for the "Women In Love" intro and the "Outta Love Again" guitar track. This tuning seems to be an offset that Eddie turned to a little more consistently.

Here is a clip I made of me playing some riffs from "Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love" using this tuning.

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Sun May 07, 2017 7:12 pm

If anyone is interested, I thought of posting all the "actual pitches" of these Van Halen offset tunings...that is I would post the true cent references for each string without the need for anyone to use a Peterson Sweetened GTR preset as the tunings I've posted here require.

I was trying to be sensitive to the Peterson company's intellectual property, but I don't think they care if I post true pitches on these tunings.

So I'll likely start an all-new thread with all the tunings I've posted here except they will show "actual" pitch cent references. I'll add to that thread as I find new tunings...

I know this is really specific and not for everyone, but I hope I can help anyone who cares to get as in tune with the original recordings as possible in order to make transcribing and playing along with the records more accurate and more enjoyable.

dirtycooter

Post by dirtycooter » Tue May 09, 2017 12:05 am

That amp sounds whoooop ass!!! :rock:

dirtycooter

Post by dirtycooter » Tue May 09, 2017 12:06 am

That amp sounds whoooop ass!!! :rock:

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Wed May 10, 2017 12:06 am