Old internet article on the recording of Eruption

The man, the band, and everything else

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

TWANGGG
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: Old internet article on the recording of Eruption

Post by TWANGGG » Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:27 pm

Thanks for that awesome post Brian. I enjoy studying the studio recording side of the Van Halen equation just as much as the amp building(don't banish me guys :peace:) and guitar playing side, so your post is all very interesting to me.

Do you have any idea whether the reverb on VH1 was from an EMT 140, or one of Sunset's reverb chambers?
Edit:nevermind I re-read your old post and see that you state there that an EMT plate was used on VH1.
Last edited by TWANGGG on Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jnew

Post by jnew » Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:10 pm

BrianK wrote:OK so let's let the terms and attitudes go away.... poof!

I worked on the old master tapes from the demos to the last record with Roth, everything else is at Eddie's 5150: although all bands are technically supposed to hand in their master tapes to the label at the end of an album, the 5150 tapes have never left there. The band has clout and control most don't.

With the old tapes it was easier to find some things I and others had not known, one easy one being everyone saying the reverb on the guitar was in the right channel. It's not, it's the same stereo reverb used on the vocals etc in the mix. At the end of Running w the Devil you can hear this clearly; the last chord has a balanced stereo echo when it dies out. The misconception came from hearing the loud guitar on the hard left mask the left side of the reverb, so the right side reverb is all most people hear. I took a reverb unit at the time and used the dry master tape to try to emulate the exact sound of the original record, so we could use "the same reverb" when doing mixes of the unreleased tracks. (Which were submitted to the band and rejected as they didn't want old {I think DLR-era} tapes coming out then.)

I looked up the old post about what I'd found (from tapes and from asking assistant engineers on the sessions (Donn L has been MIA for many years...). They were the ones who said the 1176 was used, as were SM57s on the upper and lower corners. However I see I failed to mention the two channels recorded; one being VERY bright and thin (NOT the known sound) and the other being dark and wooly (NOT the known sound either); together combined, that made up the known sound of the first few records. I am told one cabinet (and see in photos) had the silver-dome JBL speakers, the other had standard Marshall Celestions (no one knew what kind as they didn't open them). So one of these was the upper mic'ing corner, and the other was the lower corner of its cabinet for the woof.

I learned about the biasing trick from Fred Taccone, who runs Divided By 13 amps now: back in the 70s he played on gigs with Ed a lot, and being an amp guy, he asked about the "Jose modded" amp; this was all there was to it. Lowered voltage to the amp, but with a bias boost inside to get the tubes to function more normally at that state. I had him do it to my own '66 Marshall, but it was rather squashy and compressed - I was not after an EVH sound other than to see what it did, so we undid the "mod" and I like it stock.

I remember hearing about an H&H Power amp being used on the line out to drive the speaker cabinets, but I don't recall who said it. Those are English amps - mainly known for guitar heads that Bauhaus and Marc Bolan used, and they made a weird Echoplex tape unit that is cool. The H&H power amps are very unusual here, don't know where Ed would have found one, but it's a solid-state unit like a Crown amp, darker and meaty-sounding, with a beautiful blue front that lights up when it's on.

The rest of it with pedals etc seems fairly well-documented by photos and people. I hear some great results people have gotten here. Listening to the "room mics" on the sessions, it seems the actual guitar amp didn't sound SO exciting on its own, the brightness of the 1176 added some zing, and the EQ was a factor, etc. as were the two cabinets mic'ed up. Like taking a photo, it can look a lot "like" a person, but be enhanced in some ways. I'm sure the recording lost a bit of the power and girth, while bringing up some clarity and bite.

PS = I do suspect all memories "guilty" until proven innocent, but it's all we get to go on, short of any evidence. :vh:
Great example of some worthwhile info. Please forgive any following post's that might suggest your info is Bullshit and unfounded. :lol: To me, and seemingly to most, it's about info like this that one should use and make their own decisions about once they've tried and experienced it for themselves. Not just call it "some forum post" with no foundation. Ok, enough on that.

From actual pics, I recall a cab that had two JBL's on top and two celestions on the bottom. Are you recalling that he had a full cab of the JBL's? 8)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... ID=1214336" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:37 pm

Ok, let me get this straight Brian...you had access to the masters of the first album and you spoke with engineers other than Landee that assisted in the recording of the first album? And this was in the course of re-mastering the Van Halen catalog? I'm sorry if I missed how you actually came to work with these masters...maybe this information was present in some part of these posts that I'm missing. I'm just trying to understand where this knowledge came from. For example, who said they saw Ed use the 6-band MXR eq pedal during the recording? Little bits of info like this seem like first hand knowledge from unknown or unnamed people that passed this info on?

I guess I'm failing to see something that I guess other people on this thread have seen, but haven't yet shared? There just seems to be a total lack of skepticism about this info and a rush to accept this as gospel and I don't get it.

Also, nothing from the first album sessions has been documented with photos...

rgorke

Post by rgorke » Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:49 pm

BrianK wrote:OK so let's let the terms and attitudes go away.... poof!

I worked on the old master tapes from the demos to the last record with Roth, everything else is at Eddie's 5150: although all bands are technically supposed to hand in their master tapes to the label at the end of an album, the 5150 tapes have never left there. The band has clout and control most don't.

With the old tapes it was easier to find some things I and others had not known, one easy one being everyone saying the reverb on the guitar was in the right channel. It's not, it's the same stereo reverb used on the vocals etc in the mix. At the end of Running w the Devil you can hear this clearly; the last chord has a balanced stereo echo when it dies out. The misconception came from hearing the loud guitar on the hard left mask the left side of the reverb, so the right side reverb is all most people hear. I took a reverb unit at the time and used the dry master tape to try to emulate the exact sound of the original record, so we could use "the same reverb" when doing mixes of the unreleased tracks. (Which were submitted to the band and rejected as they didn't want old {I think DLR-era} tapes coming out then.)

I looked up the old post about what I'd found (from tapes and from asking assistant engineers on the sessions (Donn L has been MIA for many years...). They were the ones who said the 1176 was used, as were SM57s on the upper and lower corners. However I see I failed to mention the two channels recorded; one being VERY bright and thin (NOT the known sound) and the other being dark and wooly (NOT the known sound either); together combined, that made up the known sound of the first few records. I am told one cabinet (and see in photos) had the silver-dome JBL speakers, the other had standard Marshall Celestions (no one knew what kind as they didn't open them). So one of these was the upper mic'ing corner, and the other was the lower corner of its cabinet for the woof.

I learned about the biasing trick from Fred Taccone, who runs Divided By 13 amps now: back in the 70s he played on gigs with Ed a lot, and being an amp guy, he asked about the "Jose modded" amp; this was all there was to it. Lowered voltage to the amp, but with a bias boost inside to get the tubes to function more normally at that state. I had him do it to my own '66 Marshall, but it was rather squashy and compressed - I was not after an EVH sound other than to see what it did, so we undid the "mod" and I like it stock.

I remember hearing about an H&H Power amp being used on the line out to drive the speaker cabinets, but I don't recall who said it. Those are English amps - mainly known for guitar heads that Bauhaus and Marc Bolan used, and they made a weird Echoplex tape unit that is cool. The H&H power amps are very unusual here, don't know where Ed would have found one, but it's a solid-state unit like a Crown amp, darker and meaty-sounding, with a beautiful blue front that lights up when it's on.

The rest of it with pedals etc seems fairly well-documented by photos and people. I hear some great results people have gotten here. Listening to the "room mics" on the sessions, it seems the actual guitar amp didn't sound SO exciting on its own, the brightness of the 1176 added some zing, and the EQ was a factor, etc. as were the two cabinets mic'ed up. Like taking a photo, it can look a lot "like" a person, but be enhanced in some ways. I'm sure the recording lost a bit of the power and girth, while bringing up some clarity and bite.

PS = I do suspect all memories "guilty" until proven innocent, but it's all we get to go on, short of any evidence. :vh:
Great confirming info Brian and welcome aboard!! A couple of things, after hearing what an 1176 can do, I suspected that there was some use on the album (guitars) but had no confirmation.

Secondly, the use H&H powers amps has been a topic of discussion for some time. Others who have worked with the band and Ed specifically have confirmed that the H&H usage didn't occur until 1984 and that the previous albums and tours were strictly Marshalls. Possibly this could be part of the "guilty memories". We don't see any pictures of H&H amps early on either. Regardless, there are several different ways to get "that tone".

The internal biasing info is cool too. There has been lore that using lower voltages on amps causes cathode stripping and short tube life. However, many of us have used variacs for years on the same tubes with no issues.

Finally, one member just asked a question regarding how good the old demos sound compared to contemporary recordings. After working with the old demos, any thoughts?

Thanks again!
"If you make a mistake, do it twice and smile and let people think you meant it." Jan Van Halen.

mr.twistyneck
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by mr.twistyneck » Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:53 pm

Brian,

Thank you!

mr.twistyneck

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:38 pm

Ok, so I didn't get any answers from anyone here, so I Googled Brian and apparently he worked on the Van Halen re-masters, so I suppose I'll have to take everything here as gospel just as everyone else has.

My humble apologies for using the dreaded "bullshit" word. Sorry, I'm very suspicious of anyone not directly involved in the original recording process and I'm extra skeptical of anything on the Internet.

Just as everyone else here, I'm very passionate about Roth-era Van Halen albums and the first album in particular. I sincerely apologize if I came off as too skeptical or in whatever negative way anyone has perceived.

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:46 pm

jnew wrote:
garbeaj wrote:Sorry I used the term "bullshit", but I don't know what else to call all these unfounded suppositions about what was done on the recording of the first album.

The original post that Megaro mentioned is just a forum post of pure speculation as far as I can tell. I'll be the first to apologize if someone can point out the place where Ted Templeman or Donn Landee or Eddie or anyone else directly involved in the recording of Van Halen has corroborated or made these statements. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe I'm the asshole. Please, someone help me understand.

I don't doubt Brian Kehew's CV...it is well known. But I'm just not seeing where this information came from and I'm not seeing where it has been verified by anyone involved in the recording.
WOW :roll: So first off, you're calling it Bullshit because you accuse it of being unfounded. If it's unfounded, then it is possible that there is truth to it. Therefore you have no foundation at all, calling it bullshit.

Secondly, do you really expect Templeman, Landee or Ed to corroborate or chime in? If they don't, it must be bullshit? Is this really your basis, or foundation for argument? WTF man. Or kindly share with us what makes you so knowledgeable, that you can make such statements. Oh wait, let me guess. Your FUCKING tech?
Calm down man. We're all friends here.

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:55 pm

BrianK wrote:Interesting how people call BS without knowing what THEY are talking about. Maybe some people have done more serious research into this than some guy with a laptop!
Look man, I just haven't heard who and where the info came from. Are you not at liberty to say? Please excuse me, because I mean no disrespect, it's just rather difficult to believe everything one reads on the Internet.

jnew

Post by jnew » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:28 pm

That's our point. If you don't know where the info comes from, then it doesn't automatically mean it's B.S. It's up to YOU, to take that info, and apply it so you can at least make a fair comment. You just jump straight to position of "KNOWING", when you really don't.
Forget it man. You either get it or you don't.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... ID=1214336" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:57 pm

So I guess that we all just take this all with a grain of salt and just not ask for any background about this information. I get it now. Thanks for the explanation.

jnew

Post by jnew » Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:23 am

Well certainly you can ask but you seem to have a tendency to just get in faces and call shots from a position of authority when you, yourself don't know. And for for guys who come aboard who MAY actually have some intimate knowledge or experience on this subject, they are likely to just go away thinking we're all just a bunch of trash talking garbage when in fact there is only one "GARBEAJ" ruining it for everybody else.
So yes, take information with a grain of salt and don't be so quick to challenge. If you have a question, ask. If you have an opinion that differs, share it based on something you've experienced and post a clip, photo or whatever. I can promise that you will view information differently once you actually apply some of it to your own experiments or builds, rather than just trying to quantify it based on who said it, when, or what publication printed it, etc.

mightymike

Post by mightymike » Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:11 am

It would be a shame if someone with a lot to contribute was run off by an arm chair quarterback.
I really enjoy Brian K's posts because they give insight and a new set of things to try for people who actually fire up a soldering iron.. That's the spirit in which I've taken in all the info here. Any skepticism I have is worked out at my work bench, not in a contributors face.

Thank you Brian K for the wealth of information you shared and welcome. I can't wait to try the things you listed

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:30 am

Ok guys...I really don't understand where all the animosity towards me is coming from. It just seems that there wasn't any background given for any of the information presented, so of course one would be curious to find out where this is all coming from.

I really don't see where I could have given anyone the impression that I have knowledge about the information presented here...I guess the logic that some have used is that the mere fact that I have asked for background means that I'm saying I know better?! That's no kind of logic. I have no idea where this "armchair quarterback" stuff comes from or where this idea that I'm saying something disparaging to anyone and hiding behind my keyboard is coming from.

I guess I should be attacked for asking questions about the background of these statements. Fine. :what:

jnew

Post by jnew » Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:37 am

Dude, you called his information another bullshit forum post. That directly implies the information is wrong and you cannot do that unless YOU KNOW SOMETHING OTHERWISE AS FACT. Seriously, don't you get that? How can you just say it's BS when YOU DON'T KNOW yourself. He offered information based on some pretty intimate experience. Just leave it at that and either use the info or not. Don't accuse the guy of posting bullshit like you did. And if you want to question him, then ask questions but since you've already called his info bullshit, he's not likely to be real receptive to giving you any answers because you've acted like such a dick by trying to call him out. And it sucks that he's new hear and it was like his 2nd post, or something. That reflects poorly on the members here and it'd be a shame if he just bailed thinking that we're all the same. Some people (myself included) appreciate info like this offered up. We actually use and apply it as I said earlier (MightMike too). I can't believe this has to be explained. Are you like fucking 14 or something?

echoplexi1974

Post by echoplexi1974 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:27 am

Wow, this thread has derailed... :palm: