EVH Wolfgang Pickup in Les Paul?

The man, the band, and everything else

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

motrock

EVH Wolfgang Pickup in Les Paul?

Post by motrock » Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:58 pm

Well everyone I have come to the conclusion that I need to swap out the pickups in my Les Paul copy. Great freaking guitar. One of the best guitars that I have owned. But the pickupss are not to my liking. WCR Godwood set. They are pretty smooth, not all that aggressive, and a bit on the middy side; tonally. I am wanting to get more aggression out of this guitar. I am thinking that may put this EVH Wolfgang pickup that I have in it. But there might be something better. Any suggestions? Kind of wanting to keep with a slight Van Halen theme tonally. But I know how much I like the early Def Leppard and Scorpions tones... with a bit of Paul Gilbert for good measure. My Charvel has a SD JB that I like. Never heard one in a Les Paul. But I have the Wolfgang Bridge Pickup sitting around not being used.

What do you guys think? Wolfgang Pickups in a Les Paul? It would be like one of those Wolfgang Customs! Just looking for ideas.

mightymike
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: EVH Wolfgang Pickup in Les Paul?

Post by mightymike » Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:07 pm

As I was reading your post, I was thinking about the JB, but since you already a Wolfgang to try that.

Then I get to the end and see that you already have a JB which I think you will like more.

That being said a Wolgang sounds killer through a Friedman and Jose derived amps with extra gain stages.

Straight up plexi.... No contest..JB hands down.
They can be had cheap on EBAY. I found and old one with the coveted JBJ sticker on the back for $60.

motrock

Re: EVH Wolfgang Pickup in Les Paul?

Post by motrock » Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:15 pm

mightymike wrote:As I was reading your post, I was thinking about the JB, but since you already a Wolfgang to try that.

Then I get to the end and see that you already have a JB which I think you will like more.

That being said a Wolgang sounds killer through a Friedman and Jose derived amps with extra gain stages.

Straight up plexi.... No contest..JB hands down.
They can be had cheap on EBAY. I found and old one with the coveted JBJ sticker on the back for $60.
Wow really? Ok... cool. Yeah, my tones are more of the straight up Plexi and 2203(w/ Pedals). Very old school to my approach. I have yet to hear my Charvel w/ JB on my big amps. Its getting Fret Leveled right now, and a couple of jumping frets needed fixed. Getting the full setup! When I get it back I will jam it through both big amps and decide.

You know me.. Van Halen, Def Leppard, Scorpions, Michael Schenker, etc. Plus, I found out that the first 2 Racer X albums; Paul Gilbert used JBs! LOL I always thought he was Dimarzio, but apparently not in those days. he was using a BC Rich Mockingbird with JB. Its amazing how many bands used that pup.

BTW, would this also apply to my Frankenstein? I have the Franky pickup in that guitar. Would you say that pickup is also gear towards high gain type of amps? I wonder if its geared towards Ed's 5150 IIIs?