Van Halen-Inspired Track

The man, the band, and everything else

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

Sean_McFly
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Van Halen-Inspired Track

Post by Sean_McFly » Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:22 pm

So a few of you might remember that I wrote a "Van Halen-Style Jam" a while ago with all original riffs to show how my homemade strat and Bray amp sound in a mix. Well, I took some riffs from that jam and from the first ever demo clip of my homemade strat to make this song with my new band, Bandita! The track, "For the Moon", is super VH II inspired and has a lot of "Light Up the Sky" style tones and vocal harmonies! If you wanna check it out, here's the link! Let me know what you think and ask me any questions on gear:

The song: http://bandita.bandcamp.com/track/for-the-moon

The entire EP: http://bandita.bandcamp.com

:rockon: :toast:
"Guess you guys aren't ready for that yet, but your kids are gonna love it"- Marty Mcfly

motrock

Re: Van Halen-Inspired Track

Post by motrock » Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:37 pm

Dude, I am listening to it now. Wow man... this is great! Excellent job!

What gear? Is this the Mod 5 with EVH cab?

Lbrown3743

Post by Lbrown3743 » Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:50 pm

Sounds great man.

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:10 am

Great job Sean :thumbsup: You always get the guitar tracks their due in the mix.....up front and juicy. I dont really hear much early VH in this track, I hear alot of the first Lynch Mob record in it, concerning the actual sound and vibe in both the vocals AND guitars.
To me, your solo/s are the best parts. Imo, you have a better sense of 'thematic melody' than either Ed or George (that main solo reminded me a bit of John Norum :thumbsup: ) · I also really dug the vocal melody/harmony after that main guitar solo.
Rip Ben Wise (StuntDouble) & Mark Abrahamian (Rockstah)

JiMB

Post by JiMB » Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:51 pm

Great job Sean, I enjoyed that, tones and playing!
Keep rockin'!

echoplexi1974

Post by echoplexi1974 » Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:57 pm

Sounds awesome Sean! Keep those tracks coming! :shred:

Star*Guitar
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by Star*Guitar » Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:56 am

Sounds great man. If I were a record exec I'd sign ya. :rock:

Where the refrain is coming in on the vocals, it would have more impact if the Band would all join in for "For the Moon", you sing the next part alone, "Is what I reach for just for you". Then the band joins in again, "For the Moon" etc. I would also like to hear the refrain throughout the song after each verse or two. It is an effective "hook". But it goes away after the first two verses. I like the change in the middle of the song. I would fit it in after that again somewhere once or twice. You only reference it a couple times but the refrain is gone. It will bring it back to the original intent of the song.

Nice voice my friend. The guitar riffs are sick. :clap:
Star*Guitar

Sean_McFly

Post by Sean_McFly » Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:37 am

motrock wrote:Dude, I am listening to it now. Wow man... this is great! Excellent job!

What gear? Is this the Mod 5 with EVH cab?
Thanks dude! The guitar was recorded in May, so this was the Mod 5 with a '72 Marshall 4x12.
"Guess you guys aren't ready for that yet, but your kids are gonna love it"- Marty Mcfly

Sean_McFly

Post by Sean_McFly » Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:51 am

Tone Slinger wrote:Great job Sean :thumbsup: You always get the guitar tracks their due in the mix.....up front and juicy. I dont really hear much early VH in this track, I hear alot of the first Lynch Mob record in it, concerning the actual sound and vibe in both the vocals AND guitars.
To me, your solo/s are the best parts. Imo, you have a better sense of 'thematic melody' than either Ed or George (that main solo reminded me a bit of John Norum :thumbsup: ) · I also really dug the vocal melody/harmony after that main guitar solo.
Thanks for the kind words man! Honestly, I'm relieved to hear that I didn't steal too much from my heroes in my playing lol. I'll be sure to share the completed album here with the refined EP songs and the newly written and recorded tracks, all done with my 4550 Deluxe combo when it's here. I'm really excited to see how the new Bray sounds on the tracks! Dave's recommending I record both the built in combo speaker and pair it with either my '72 greenbacks or my EVH 2x12 cab for some fatter, VH II-esque tones. I'll be sure to share clips of all the speaker pairings when the amp comes!

fivecoyote
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by fivecoyote » Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:58 pm

NICE!! And THANK YOU for original tunes that feature the un-scooped, un-small amp, un-crappy preamp distortion geetar!

Agree some Lynchness in there. I'm also hearing Nuno in there. Not much VH in terms of style...hope it's okay to say that.

You guys are in your 20s? Keep going man!
At it awhile, still learnin'

Get woodalicious tonology factoid learnin' at http://www.WOODYTONE.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;!