My attempt at early EVH tone. . Mean Street

The man, the band, and everything else

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

GaryMcT
Just the numbers in order: 13492

My attempt at early EVH tone. . Mean Street

Post by GaryMcT » Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:14 pm

I'm trying to learn how to record guitar. Here's my sloppy rendition of part of Mean Street. I'm not really trying to match the album exactly. . just trying to get a feel for how to get a decent recorded tone.

This is:

Anderson Drop Top with Suhr SSV bridge pickup
Kracke Plexi 50 amp (low watt/variac mode into the upper left input with most everything on 10 except treble channel volume at around 8)
Suhr Reactive Load
Torpedo C.A.B. using Ownhammer 4x12 Mar-CB impulse responses
UAD Apollo Twin Duo running the following plugins:
-UAD 610-B mic pre
-UA 1176 compressor
-EMT 140 plate reverb

Feedback appreciated! I need to try this in a mix next.

https://soundcloud.com/garymct/mean-str ... o-cab-test

Megaro

Re: My attempt at early EVH tone. . Mean Street

Post by Megaro » Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:33 pm

I thought that sounded great. The vibe was definitely there. The eq and ambiance sounded good, too. My only suggestion would be if you can make it sound a little more lo-fi ? Ed had his guitar run through two of those old Eventide H-910s, which has such a unique sound. It gave his whole guitar sound a metallic, yet warm sound. Impossible to put into words, but you know exactly what it is when you hear the guitar hero iso clips. I would say you are pretty much in the ballpark with the rig you have. Keep playing and recording :D

Bronco

Post by Bronco » Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:37 pm

Nice tones! I have a very similar set up, and I even have the H910 plug in, which sounds outstanding. I don't know why you'd need two of them though? Everything right up to OU812 is pretty much dry / wet whenever it's used. Either the plug in or the H9 Core/Pitchfactor on a second track panned opposite will get that japed tone in spades.

JohnnyGtar

Post by JohnnyGtar » Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:17 pm

Megaro wrote:I thought that sounded great. The vibe was definitely there. The eq and ambiance sounded good, too. My only suggestion would be if you can make it sound a little more lo-fi ? Ed had his guitar run through two of those old Eventide H-910s, which has such a unique sound. It gave his whole guitar sound a metallic, yet warm sound. Impossible to put into words, but you know exactly what it is when you hear the guitar hero iso clips. I would say you are pretty much in the ballpark with the rig you have. Keep playing and recording :D
Seriously? I did not know that. The "Mean Street" tone haunts me day and night. To me, that sound the the Holy Grail of rock guitar tone. Do you know where I can read up on the H-910 and how Ed used it, settings, etc? Any help much appreciated. Thank you! :rock:
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "Wow! What a ride!"

Megaro

Post by Megaro » Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:52 am

I will send you a PM so as not to derail the thread and make it into a vintage Eventide thread. But Eddie's tone from Fair Warning is dripping wet with the signature stamp of those wonderful old machines. Listen to the iso guitar clip from Meanstreet and then A/B it with Hang em High. That sort of metallic chorusy sound you hear on Meanstreet is straight up Eventide H910.

FL6

Post by FL6 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:45 pm

Megaro wrote:I will send you a PM so as not to derail the thread and make it into a vintage Eventide thread. But Eddie's tone from Fair Warning is dripping wet with the signature stamp of those wonderful old machines. Listen to the iso guitar clip from Meanstreet and then A/B it with Hang em High. That sort of metallic chorusy sound you hear on Meanstreet is straight up Eventide H910.
Is the Chorus on Hang em High?

FL6

Post by FL6 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:50 pm

JohnnyGtar wrote:
Megaro wrote:I thought that sounded great. The vibe was definitely there. The eq and ambiance sounded good, too. My only suggestion would be if you can make it sound a little more lo-fi ? Ed had his guitar run through two of those old Eventide H-910s, which has such a unique sound. It gave his whole guitar sound a metallic, yet warm sound. Impossible to put into words, but you know exactly what it is when you hear the guitar hero iso clips. I would say you are pretty much in the ballpark with the rig you have. Keep playing and recording :D
Seriously? I did not know that. The "Mean Street" tone haunts me day and night. To me, that sound the the Holy Grail of rock guitar tone. Do you know where I can read up on the H-910 and how Ed used it, settings, etc? Any help much appreciated. Thank you! :rock:
I wonder if it's the actual riff too that makes it so appealing, along with perhaps the key or note selection? I get that vibe from Where Have All The Good Times Gone, just so raw but the song itself doesn't have that mystery to it. IDK, doesn't matter really. Awesome tone though and playing.

fivecoyote
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by fivecoyote » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:11 am

I wouldn't call it dripping wet -- not how I hear it personally. More wet on the solos for sure. The best way I can describe it is it sounds a little "hi fi" -- a much lesser version of what he did with his Sammy sound. FW guitar also sounds less "clangy" to me, warmer, which is why some have speculated it's a Les Paul on there or an EL34 head, etc. No evidence for either and my 2c is it's neither, but for sure it's different -- also different tones within that album, same as all the albums. How I hear 'em anyway.

Re: hi fi -- to my ears a cheaper, similar way to get that sound is with the EBMM (particularly) or DiMarzio TZ/AT pickups. Of course you give something up but....
At it awhile, still learnin'

Get woodalicious tonology factoid learnin' at http://www.WOODYTONE.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;!

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:50 am

I tend to agree with fivecoyote...the way I hear "Mean Street" and Fair Warning in general is that the Eventide is used mostly for leads. I don't hear Eventide on the main riff and rhythms in "Mean Street" at all. But the Eventide is definitely all over the leads and overdubbed leads.

Here's a clip I made of me playing an overdub that occurs at the end of "So This Is Love?" which has upper and lower octave sounds from the Eventide. I'm using my H9 to simulate the sound, along with my vintage MXR Flanger:

jnew

Post by jnew » Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:09 am

I hear plenty of Eventide effect on the main riff in that song. And the tone in the op''s clip is fantastic to my ears. :toast:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... ID=1214336" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Megaro

Post by Megaro » Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:13 pm

It's the other way around. The solo is pretty dry. A good iso will allow you to hear the punch ins and also the different eq treatment. Pretty trebley. But, the Eventide is all over the rhythm. It is not very subtle either. Grab a good quality iso and listen in with headphones. I have an old iso from the way back where I can split the guitar track into left and right. But, the main thing that sets Meanstreet apart on the rhythm is a little touch of octave care of the Eventide H910. You can also hear what sounds like some flanging going on, but that is actually part of the pitch shift on those particular models. I am pretty sure the mix is the dry guitar with about a .98 detune shift and its delay which comes with the package deal on that model, maybe a +2 upshift, and then on top of that, ever so subtly is the full step down. For some reason, a 2 cent change on those old Eventides is so much more prominent than a 2 cent change even at 100% wet on the newer Eventides (anything after the H3000). I think that subtle octave down is why much of the guitar on Fair Warning sounds so ominous.