The Tone...Have I done it? [CLIP]

The man, the band, and everything else

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

TheEVHToneChaser
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: The Tone...Have I done it? [CLIP]

Post by TheEVHToneChaser » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:54 pm

Tazin wrote:I agree that the flanger parts sound really good. So, how different is the recipe for the basic guitar sound between the RWTD and ATBL tracks?

:vh: Its mostly eq-ing but other than that just new strings and less reverb :toast:

Megaro

Post by Megaro » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:59 pm

I agree with the others. Great tone and great playing. I think the modelers and plugins are a nice addition to the world of traditional tube amps and cabs. Both have their preferred uses. We just have a lot more tools at our disposal as musicians.

Are you willing to share a bit about what you used for the core of your tone ? The world of VST has so many choices that it is overwhelming to know where to spend hard earned cash. Also, if I read your posts correctly you are using the Peavey as your interface ? I basically stopped with the modeling technology when it went from earlier, standalone Line 6 devices with USB options for recording to what I see now with very sophisticated interfaces and computers.

TheEVHToneChaser

Post by TheEVHToneChaser » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:27 pm

Megaro wrote:I agree with the others. Great tone and great playing. I think the modelers and plugins are a nice addition to the world of traditional tube amps and cabs. Both have their preferred uses. We just have a lot more tools at our disposal as musicians.

Are you willing to share a bit about what you used for the core of your tone ? The world of VST has so many choices that it is overwhelming to know where to spend hard earned cash. Also, if I read your posts correctly you are using the Peavey as your interface ? I basically stopped with the modeling technology when it went from earlier, standalone Line 6 devices with USB options for recording to what I see now with very sophisticated interfaces and computers.

My amp has a line out in usb to my computer and it came with Reaper(DAW) in which i use "passed down" plugins that were luckily free for me in my case but its guitar rig 5 which came with it and then that goes into Izotope Ozone 5 and added plate reverb

Ive spent waaaay too much time in figuring the tone out but ive gotten about as close as I can limited to computer software

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:48 pm

The flanger settings that TheEVHToneChaser mentioned above are correct and the regeneration should be full up. If you use these settings with a vintage late 70s MXR Flanger (i.e. NOT a Dunlop reissue or an EVH Flanger) you will always nail all the flanger sounds on all the Van Halen recordings that feature the flanger, except for the intro to "Outta Love Again" (and "Bullethead") which used the same settings except the speed is turned full-up.

Eddie revealed these settings in Guitar World a little while ago.

fivecoyote
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by fivecoyote » Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:08 pm

Wow! I wish it was an amp...but would also like to play through that "rig!" Nice job.
At it awhile, still learnin'

Get woodalicious tonology factoid learnin' at http://www.WOODYTONE.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;!

TheEVHToneChaser

Post by TheEVHToneChaser » Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:22 pm

fivecoyote wrote: I wish it was an amp.
Thanks man :rock:

I wish it was too :peace: ...Im trying to find a place where I wont disturb people with a massive tube amp

FL6

Post by FL6 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:03 am

TheEVHToneChaser wrote:
FL6 wrote:For ATBL intro, how did you get the C-B-C flange effect, or what flange and settings? This part has always alluded me. Yours was dead-on. Thanks for the clips.
:popcorn: For the flanger its an Mxr Flanger like ed's, and in an interview ed said that he had the first 3 knobs set at somewhere between 11 and 11:30,and for the regen it would be all the way dialed but for me its too swooshy so i keep it at 4 o clock :thumbsup:
An old MXR or the new ones?

TheEVHToneChaser

Post by TheEVHToneChaser » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:47 am

FL6 wrote:An old MXR or the new ones?
I have an evh new one
But for unchained I use the preset button and for the rest, the 11-11:30 4 o clock setting

The old ones you want the regen all the way up(which is about 5 o clock)

The new ones will get a little over powering at full so just barely backed off would work perfectly

For some other songs ed would only change the speed
He did this on Hear About it Later and And the Cradle will Rock etc.

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:43 am

TheEVHToneChaser wrote:
FL6 wrote:An old MXR or the new ones?
I have an evh new one
But for unchained I use the preset button and for the rest, the 11-11:30 4 o clock setting

The old ones you want the regen all the way up(which is about 5 o clock)

The new ones will get a little over powering at full so just barely backed off would work perfectly

For some other songs ed would only change the speed
He did this on Hear About it Later and And the Cradle will Rock etc.
See my above post...the settings on Ed's vintage MXR Flanger remained the same for all songs except for the intro to "Outta Love Again" and "Bullethead" where the Speed knob was turned full up.

The preset button on the EVH Flanger was designed to revert all settings to the old settings that Eddie revealed in the interview.
Last edited by garbeaj on Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Megaro

Post by Megaro » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:23 am

Ed's flanger settings I think tell us a lot. I remember this old Guitar World article where Dweezil is interviewing Ed and Dweezil is stumped as to how Ed could get the MXR flanger to do the Unchained effect. Ed was like, huh ? Same setting I always have it on. I got the feeling Dweezil was not very satisfied with his answer, even though it was true. But it is as simple as garbeaj described. Classic Ed. One simple piece of gear with one or two settings that yields tons of tone that leaves everybody scratching their head.

Thanks to the OP for the info on guitar rig. I might give that a try. I know exactly what you are saying about sometimes needing a quiet tone. For me, there is not nothing better than plugging straight into my 50 watt tube amp and straight into a 4x12 cab and turning up the volume. No software updates. No latency. Just awesome tone. But, I just can't do that all the time. This is where I think modelling is the way to go. I never have understood the debate about which way is better: modeling or tube amps. Each have their place and it is ultimately about what you like. This thread is a great example of how modeling is a really great tool. But I am sure all of us here will keep loving on our tube amps and for good reason.

Rock on :rock:

Marshall SL12301
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by Marshall SL12301 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:22 pm

Have you done it? :shock: Uh YES! and then some!!!! :mrgreen:
I have to ask what was the purpose of using a clean Peavey vypyr VIP2 for achieving this tone?
was is solely used for a interface so you could connect the guitar to PC?
and it is GUITAR RIG 5 getting the overdrive and amp sim?
Sounded really amazing for software.
R.I.P Mark Abrahamian, You will be remembered!

jnew

Post by jnew » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:17 am

As a passionate early VH tone builder/chaser, this is OUTSTANDING. If I'm understanding this arrangement properly, the Peavey amp bears little to no importance as it only sends a clean signal for the modeling to do its work. Does that sound right. But regardless, I could get lost in playing that tone for days. :thumbsup: So well done. 8)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... ID=1214336" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TheEVHToneChaser

Post by TheEVHToneChaser » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:01 am

Guys I'm back...and have a much better tone that puts all my others to shame. Check it out the new clip :hairband: https://soundcloud.com/sc_user5150/whiteevhdestroyer

Lbrown3743

Post by Lbrown3743 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:53 am

Sounds awesome.

jnew

Post by jnew » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:31 am

Sounds good. :thumbsup:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... ID=1214336" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;