Looking for a pickup change!

The man, the band, and everything else

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

fivecoyote
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: Looking for a pickup change!

Post by fivecoyote » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:00 pm

Motrock what are the specs on the guitar you want to put it in? What amp and cab/speakers are you playing through? What volume are you playing at?
At it awhile, still learnin'

Get woodalicious tonology factoid learnin' at http://www.WOODYTONE.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;!

motrock

Post by motrock » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:12 pm

garbeaj wrote:
motrock wrote:The 59/Custom is worth a shot. I watched a video on swapping magnets, which doesn't seem to bad. Just as long at the pickup tape can still be used. Not sure where to buy new tape if I needed too?
You can certainly swap the mags yourself, but I think it is A LOT easier to have the Custom Shop do it. If you swap the mag yourself you have to buy an A2 mag (from StewMac as I did on the first pickup I got) and pay for shipping on that. When you order it from the Custom Shop with the A2, you don't have to do anything but install the pickup in your guitar.
Oh ok, I didn't know you could do that? How do you go about doing that?

Found the link on there site for the 59/custom
http://www.seymourduncan.com/pickup/59custom-hybrid

I went to the custom page. What should the specs be for the Slug Coil and Screw Coil? Single conductor? Long leg or short leg?
Last edited by motrock on Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

motrock

Post by motrock » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:14 pm

fivecoyote wrote:Motrock what are the specs on the guitar you want to put it in? What amp and cab/speakers are you playing through? What volume are you playing at?
I am putting it in a Frankenstein copy that I built. North Hard Ash Body, Maple neck and fret board.
Amp is a 50watt Plexi with SoZo Next Gen Caps, Variac, Sylvania 6CA7s, custom 4x12 that I built with Reissue Greenbacks... FULL VOLUME! LOL And I have a Peavey 5150 Combo from 1998 that I use as a practice amp. Sometimes I use a Fryette Power Station with the Plexi.

Also; I have a Les Paul copy that I might swap some pickups also. I have WCR Godwood set in there and I am not to wild about it. Guitar is very well balanced in tone. Its not a real heavy Les Paul either. Might go with Duncan for that guitar also!

motrock

Post by motrock » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:23 pm

JimiJames wrote:
motrock wrote:hey guys, I have been using the EVH Franky pickup for a while now. I have come to the conclusion that it might not be the right pickup for the early EVH stuff. What is everyone using now? Its been a long time since I have been around or looked in to this. I am looking for a WACF and FW tone. First album would be great also; but I look to cover the bases. Any suggestions? So far I have heard people say:

SD Custom SH-5
SD Custom Custom SH-11
SD Custom 78

Am I missing anything? Any other pickup manufacturers doing this type of thing anymore?
.... yes, mag's play and are an important part to the sum of all one's parts.
While using a modern DiMarzio Super Distortion working out his amp formula and voicings, Mark was just getting into mag swapping and was posting some of his findings on his website, but he did not have enough personal data collected (at the time). He was nailing down a spec, a prudent decision looking into several manufacturers to make a rockstah voiced pickup.
-Trying to make a difference to your ears, get the inexpensive Duncan Custom like you are thinking, and report back.
In the meantime, also look into a MM1300 or an old *two conductor SuperD for the next one to make a difference from that point. *You can use a newer one too, like rockstah did. Perhaps back to a Super'70 for more sonic comparison & differences.
If you don't like what's going on with your current sound through that EVH Franky pickup, then no reason why not try some of the le$$er older ones... ?
So what would you say the Duncan Custom sounds like to your ears? First album tone?

garbeaj
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by garbeaj » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:20 am

motrock wrote:
JimiJames wrote:
motrock wrote:hey guys, I have been using the EVH Franky pickup for a while now. I have come to the conclusion that it might not be the right pickup for the early EVH stuff. What is everyone using now? Its been a long time since I have been around or looked in to this. I am looking for a WACF and FW tone. First album would be great also; but I look to cover the bases. Any suggestions? So far I have heard people say:

SD Custom SH-5
SD Custom Custom SH-11
SD Custom 78

Am I missing anything? Any other pickup manufacturers doing this type of thing anymore?
.... yes, mag's play and are an important part to the sum of all one's parts.
While using a modern DiMarzio Super Distortion working out his amp formula and voicings, Mark was just getting into mag swapping and was posting some of his findings on his website, but he did not have enough personal data collected (at the time). He was nailing down a spec, a prudent decision looking into several manufacturers to make a rockstah voiced pickup.
-Trying to make a difference to your ears, get the inexpensive Duncan Custom like you are thinking, and report back.
In the meantime, also look into a MM1300 or an old *two conductor SuperD for the next one to make a difference from that point. *You can use a newer one too, like rockstah did. Perhaps back to a Super'70 for more sonic comparison & differences.
If you don't like what's going on with your current sound through that EVH Franky pickup, then no reason why not try some of the le$$er older ones... ?
So what would you say the Duncan Custom sounds like to your ears? First album tone?
I think JimiJames is saying the same sort of thing that I'm saying...it depends on what amp, speakers and guitar you are using. And as far as first album tone goes...good luck! Only a very few people that I've heard have gotten anywhere near the first album tones. Very difficult and there is no way that anyone can tell you a satisfactory answer.

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:24 am

motrock wrote:
garbeaj wrote:
motrock wrote:The 59/Custom is worth a shot. I watched a video on swapping magnets, which doesn't seem to bad. Just as long at the pickup tape can still be used. Not sure where to buy new tape if I needed too?
You can certainly swap the mags yourself, but I think it is A LOT easier to have the Custom Shop do it. If you swap the mag yourself you have to buy an A2 mag (from StewMac as I did on the first pickup I got) and pay for shipping on that. When you order it from the Custom Shop with the A2, you don't have to do anything but install the pickup in your guitar.
Oh ok, I didn't know you could do that? How do you go about doing that?

Found the link on there site for the 59/custom
http://www.seymourduncan.com/pickup/59custom-hybrid

I went to the custom page. What should the specs be for the Slug Coil and Screw Coil? Single conductor? Long leg or short leg?
Just look a little earlier in this thread...I posted my exact order with all the specs. I got a pickup for my '58 reissue Gibson Flying V so you might want different cosmetics from what I chose...

motrock

Post by motrock » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:05 am

garbeaj wrote:
echoplexi1974 wrote:
garbeaj wrote:For the second pickup that I ended up putting in my Flying V, I just ordered it with the A2 in it. You just go to the Seymour Duncan website and order the '59/Custom Hybrid with the A2 magnet...that way you don't have to swap the magnet yourself.
Garbeaj, did you have to pay the $160 custom shop fee for the 59/Custom hybrid w/ A2 magnet? Or did Seymour Duncan sell the pickup w/ A2 for the regular price of $99?
I paid $170...the extra $10 was for the Gold pickup cover to match my Flying V's gold parts. Here is what I entered on the Seymour Duncan Custom Shop order page:
Build Your Own Humbucker
(What kind of humbucker do you want: Hybrid (Choose Your Coils/Mix Two Pickups), What Position Is This Pickup For: Bridge, For What Guitar: 6 String, String Spacing: Humbucker, Hybrid Slug Coil: Custom, Hybrid Screw Coil: 59, Color: Gold +$10, Mounting Legs: Standard Short, Wax Potting (Reduces Microphonics/Feedback) : Yes, Hookup Cable: Single Conductor, Pole Pieces: Gold, Logo: No, What is the body and neck wood of the guitar you are putting this in? Japanese Sen (Orville by Gibson '58 styled Flying V), Describe The Tone You Want: Van Halen 1984 Flying V tones. , Notes: This is the same as the SH-16, but I would like an A2 magnet in this pickup. , If you have a name for your pickup, enter it here: '59/Cstm-A2)
I see it. Sorry, missed this last night.

fivecoyote

Post by fivecoyote » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:17 pm

That sounds LIKE Ed's gear so the '78 might be a good option if you can get the same boost he was getting somehow (Echoplex etc). Otherwise I'm surprised the EVH wasn't doing it for you since to my ears that's a boosted for sure Ed-sounding pickup.

Best pickups I ever had in a LP for anything including Ed-like stuff were stock Tim Shaw-era Gibson pickups (1980), not sure exactly what they were but I'd guess T-Tops. Those pickups wound for a hair more output would've been magic.

Just my 2c.
motrock wrote:I am putting it in a Frankenstein copy that I built. North Hard Ash Body, Maple neck and fret board.

Amp is a 50watt Plexi with SoZo Next Gen Caps, Variac, Sylvania 6CA7s, custom 4x12 that I built with Reissue Greenbacks... FULL VOLUME! LOL And I have a Peavey 5150 Combo from 1998 that I use as a practice amp. Sometimes I use a Fryette Power Station with the Plexi.

Also; I have a Les Paul copy that I might swap some pickups also. I have WCR Godwood set in there and I am not to wild about it. Guitar is very well balanced in tone. Its not a real heavy Les Paul either. Might go with Duncan for that guitar also!

Get woodalicious tonology factoid learnin' at http://www.WOODYTONE.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;!

fivecoyote

Post by fivecoyote » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:18 pm

Checked and looks like the 78 is A2, 9K, mismatched coils -- sounds similar!

Megaro

Post by Megaro » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:18 pm

My two cents. You have tried some high output and PAF style PUPs, all of which are firmly in VH territory somewhere. I think the best bang for your buck is an EQ pedal, such as the MXR 10 band. That can really shape your tone. If that is not your thing, but I really suggest giving it a go first since you are not sold on the various ones that you have tried, move that sucker around !

You have room to do it in a Franky copy. Moving any one of your existing PUPs up or down, slanting, moving towards or away from the bridge, can have a big effect. Only way to know is to try it out with your best sounding PUP. Especially effective with a narrow pole spaced pickup.

A man can go crazy and broke or crazy broke buying and swapping around all the pickups marketed or touted as getting you to VH land. Grab that EQ pedal first.