New EVH striped guitar

The man, the band, and everything else

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

Megaro
Just the numbers in order: 13492

New EVH striped guitar

Post by Megaro » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:24 am

Link to article below. Ed is selling kind of a striped 5150 Kramer. Fans have been requesting this guitar for years, but it does not look very inspired to me. Be interested to know if it plays or sounds any different than the rest of the striped series.
http://www.vhnd.com/2017/01/19/evh-striped-series-5150/

JimiJames

Re: New EVH striped guitar

Post by JimiJames » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:36 pm

Cool

Pricey, but ehh... what's with th 2¢ lol :P
RIP Mark Abrahamian-rockstah -classmate/roommate
RIP Ben Wise -StuntDouble- comrade-in-arms

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:54 pm

It is exactly the same body as the other EVH striped series guitars. I never liked the look of the thumbwheel truss rod adjustment and the large cutout for it at the heel. The headstock is totally weird looking. It looks nothing like the original, but they had to change it in order to comply with legal because of Gibson's Explorer headstock. Which I never understood. Paul Unkert created the headstock on the original 5150 and it is it's own unique spin on the Explorer style headstock.

$1,399 street. Not worth it in my opinion.

JimiJames

Post by JimiJames » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:48 pm

I played an EVH B&W and could not get over that old school truss adjustment. It's been used and deemed FRICKIN' UGLY ! That is why it "went away" lol. Apparently Ed likes it. :palm:
Like he's going to do massive constant adjustments on his neck where he lives, right ?
Shit part of the design where you are "forced" to like it because of the name.
Just look at it ? ... blahhh Just my opinion, of course.... *puke emoticon inserted*
RIP Mark Abrahamian-rockstah -classmate/roommate
RIP Ben Wise -StuntDouble- comrade-in-arms

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:59 am

JimiJames wrote:I played an EVH B&W and could not get over that old school truss adjustment. It's been used and deemed FRICKIN' UGLY ! That is why it "went away" lol. Apparently Ed likes it. :palm:
Like he's going to do massive constant adjustments on his neck where he lives, right ?
Shit part of the design where you are "forced" to like it because of the name.
Just look at it ? ... blahhh Just my opinion, of course.... *puke emoticon inserted*
I didn't know that thumbwheel had been around before. It's ugly. But I don't like headstock adjust truss rods either. I don't even like the wooden plug covering the truss rod insertion point on some headstocks I like the classic heel adjust on strats.

But then I don't like ANY Van Halen signature product. Starting with the Peavey amps and going through all the signature Wolfgang guitars starting with the EBMM and all the Dunlop effects up through today. They are all reminders of the fact that Eddie used to have great tone.

chrisom
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by chrisom » Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:24 pm

I didn't know that thumbwheel had been around before. It's ugly. But I don't like headstock adjust truss rods either. I don't even like the wooden plug covering the truss rod insertion point on some headstocks I like the classic heel adjust on strats.
The new EVH truss adjust was on OLD Tiesco Del Ray guitars. They looked bad back then, and they look bad now. Fender is using them on newer Strats as well...
But then I don't like ANY Van Halen signature product. Starting with the Peavey amps and going through all the signature Wolfgang guitars starting with the EBMM and all the Dunlop effects up through today. They are all reminders of the fact that Eddie used to have great tone.
Ditto- Well said.

chrisom

Post by chrisom » Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:54 pm

Feb. 1990 Guitar World cover shows Ed with his Teisco(?). I guess it's a bit different because there's no last-fret overhang on the fret-board that has to be notched out on the Teisco. It just sticks out from the end of the neck. Still ugly. I hated my Teisco guitar days, plugging into the back of the console stereo. At least it was tubes- lol

fivecoyote

Post by fivecoyote » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:04 pm

Here's the pickup with the basswood body:

> ...fitted with a custom designed EVH Wolfgang® alnico 2 Humbucker bridge pickup, delivering the perfect amount of power and articulation with sweet sustain and thick chunky rhythms in a perfectly balanced EQ curve.

Not that it matters but always thought that guitar had a 59....
At it awhile, still learnin'

Get woodalicious tonology factoid learnin' at http://www.WOODYTONE.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;!

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:41 am

fivecoyote wrote:Here's the pickup with the basswood body:

> ...fitted with a custom designed EVH Wolfgang® alnico 2 Humbucker bridge pickup, delivering the perfect amount of power and articulation with sweet sustain and thick chunky rhythms in a perfectly balanced EQ curve.

Not that it matters but always thought that guitar had a 59....
He always said it was a custom wound SD '59...definitely nothing you could buy.

Of course it seems to me that the original body was Poplar...according to Paul Unkert who originally built the guitar. He has always maintained that it was Poplar. I used to think basswood and I even built a replica out of basswood, but I now think I was wrong. I really think it was Poplar.