Panama "low volume"

The man, the band, and everything else

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

rawel34
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: Panama "low volume"

Post by rawel34 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:30 am

67 Melody Maker wrote:The Edirol sound card looks like a newer, classier version of the M-Audio mic pre-amp that I've been running for years. About 2-1/2 times the cost, but probably worth it!

Definitely getting some really nice recorded tones there Rawel. :champ:

How important would you say the speakers are to the tone when you're playing a very low volumes - in other words, when you're not really getting "cabinet involvement" ?

Thanks for sharing your stellar clips with us! :thumbsup:
Every piece of gear you described up here, IMHO, is a bit less important than a good playing and good post-mixing. To me, gear is just tool. You have get choice just right tools FOR YOU, in terms of comfortability, inspiration, durability and affordability. But to me the superior care to have is right playing AT FIRST THING.
Thanks for your kind words.

rawel34

Post by rawel34 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:31 am

garbeaj wrote:
rawel34 wrote:
garbeaj wrote: I hope so! Grazie mille! I've been watching 'Il commissario Montalbano' and working on my Italian language skills :)
Very nice, Garbeaj ... nice you're practicing italian language and nice you're right now speaking with a Sicilian ...
Better food in Sicily...I want to live on Sicilian seafood especially!
ahahahaha ... Out of thread !

rawel34

Post by rawel34 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:31 am

67 Melody Maker wrote:
rawel34 wrote:Every piece of gear you described up here, IMHO, is a bit less important than a good playing and good post-mixing.
In my humble experience, the speakers are far less important the lower the volume. And vice versa, the louder you play, getting cabinet involvement, the more important the type/quality of the speaker becomes.

If you're actually playing at the kind of volumes where you have "the cabinet dancing around on the floor",as Plexified is fond of saying, the more the cabinet wood and construction become important to the tone you're getting.
I agree with you.

garbeaj
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by garbeaj » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:43 am

67 Melody Maker wrote:
rawel34 wrote:I agree with you.
Just something for bedroom players to consider. Certainly not saying "use crap speakers".

But if you're on a budget, and you aren't going to be playing outdoor stadiums or even a local bar... a "bedroom" type player really doesn't benefit much from spending $$$ on speakers.

That money could be focused on other areas of the signal chain, where it would benefit a low volume player.
I disagree...I have tried different speakers on my Rockstah Mod 5 Marshall and I can only turn the Master up to about 2. All speakers sound like total shit, except for the 6402 90's reissue Greenbacks. I mean the sound of any other speakers was completely different and horrible. Even at bedroom levels, speakers are crucial to tone...at least in my experience.

garbeaj
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by garbeaj » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:48 am

67 Melody Maker wrote:
garbeaj wrote:I disagree...I have tried different speakers on my Rockstah Mod 5 Marshall and I can only turn the Master up to about 2. All speakers sound like total shit, except for the 6402 90's reissue Greenbacks. I mean the sound of any other speakers was completely different and horrible. Even at bedroom levels, speakers are crucial to tone...at least in my experience.
You're experiencing Mark A's genius there, my friend.

Mark's amps are so tuned and calibrated to create the tone he was after - that the side effect is that is you change any component, spkrs, pickup, cap here a cap there... it sounds like crap.
Fair point!