6402 cones in my 4x12
what you think ?

https://soundcloud.com/topsportsmanta1-956187058/330ufl
mike

topsportsmanta1
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: rockstah 12xxx build#2 clip

Post by topsportsmanta1 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:21 pm

this was marks #2 12xxx build he did no post processing just added reverb in pro tools
mike

topsportsmanta1

Post by topsportsmanta1 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:43 pm

topsportsmanta1 wrote:this was marks #2 12xxx build he did !!! I used no post processing just added reverb in pro tools
mike

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:06 am

I think the core sound is definitely there...I might back off a little bit on the reverb and echo, but I think I can hear all the elements of Mark's sound in there. The 6402 speakers made a HUGE difference for me. When Mark first modded my Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo, I had the stock Celestion G12M-65 speakers in it and it sounded horrible when compared to the 6402 cone 90s reissue Greenbacks that I got a little later.

Here is the clip Mark made with my amp using the stock G12M-65 speakers:
http://www.soundclick.com/mobile/defaul ... d=11234593

And here is the clip Mark made using 6402 cone 90s reissue Greenbacks:
http://www.soundclick.com/mobile/defaul ... d=11234593

It was night and day for me, even the feel changed completely for me.

For further comparison, here is a clip I made with the 6402 speakers and an SD '59:

And the same amp and speakers using a new Dimarzio Super Distortion as Mark recommended and used with his take on the Mod 5:

I think each element is critical to getting Mark's results. The 6402's made a big difference for me...and so did the new DSD!

topsportsmanta1

Post by topsportsmanta1 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:30 pm

Yeah that was my franky with the frankenstein pup going thru my old marshall 4x12 with 6402 cones ,
This is not one of his mod 5 amps it is a stock 12xxx he built n signed his #2 build ill do another one with my super distortion pup n have a comparison
Thanks for replying allen
mike

topsportsmanta1

Post by topsportsmanta1 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:11 pm

That was a slap back from my echoplex u heard , was trying to get close to the rwtd isolated track
Just wish i had the chops
mike

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:03 am

topsportsmanta1 wrote:Yeah that was my franky with the frankenstein pup going thru my old marshall 4x12 with 6402 cones ,
This is not one of his mod 5 amps it is a stock 12xxx he built n signed his #2 build ill do another one with my super distortion pup n have a comparison
Thanks for replying allen
Hah! Of course I assumed because it was Mark that it was a Mod 5...

So if it is a straight up 12xxx, I wouldn't necessarily recommend the DSD...that's really best for the Mod 5.

Phil's clips have demonstrated to me that you can get there with an EVH Frankenstein pickup, a Super 70, an SD '59...any P.A.F. style pickup can do first album style tones out of a 12xxx:
topsportsmanta1 wrote:That was a slap back from my echoplex u heard , was trying to get close to the rwtd isolated track
Just wish i had the chops
Oh you have the chops to get "Runnin' With The Devil" right...you just need to have a more accurate transcription to work from and if you really want to nail it you need the correct tuning offsets from the album version.

As a reminder, here is the tuning offset that I found for the album version. These are actual pitches (ignore the pitches I noted in the upper left hand corner of the first page of my TAB...that is for users of Peterson's digital strobe tuners with the "Sweetened GTR" preset):

"Runnin' With The Devil"
1st string: Eb +12.7 cents
2nd string: Bb +26.9 cents
3rd string: F# +34.6 cents
4th string: C# +35.0 cents
5th string: Ab +35.0 cents
6th string: Eb +26.7 cents

And here is a TAB that I posted a while ago that I believe is more accurate than others I've seen:
viewtopic.php?t=41302

As far as the power slide parts during the main riff, I try to follow what Strat78 does in his clip of "Runnin' With The Devil"...he's the only guy I've ever seen/heard that NAILS the power slide parts correctly.

Basically, the way he described it to me was that he slides up from the sustained Emaj barre chord at the 9th fret and then down from the note at the upper register of the low E string (usually at the 19th fret) all in one motion...in other words, you should try to do the slide up and the slide down in one continuous, blended motion. Phil has it so down cold and he always nails the casual feel of that part perfectly. I'm still working on it!

topsportsmanta1

Post by topsportsmanta1 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:35 pm

DAMN THAT SOUNDS GREAT !!!
thanks al for the tabs and tuning gonna give it another shot i new he flattened b string some but didnt know he had the tuning that much different .
yeah it is a stock 12xxx series mark built , i did add the fat cap on v2a so i have the .68 n the 330uf piggybacked with the 820 and it adds that sizzle in the treble almost like bass in the treble ? kinda hard to describe
mike

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:41 pm

topsportsmanta1 wrote:DAMN THAT SOUNDS GREAT !!!
thanks al for the tabs and tuning gonna give it another shot i new he flattened b string some but didnt know he had the tuning that much different .
yeah it is a stock 12xxx series mark built , i did add the fat cap on v2a so i have the .68 n the 330uf piggybacked with the 820 and it adds that sizzle in the treble almost like bass in the treble ? kinda hard to describe
You are very welcome and I think I know exactly what you are talking about...that "sizzle" and "squishy" sound that seems to be peculiar to the Warner Bros. demos and the first album. That is one of the most elusive things about the first album tones. I don't know whether I'm getting it, but I know it when I hear it!

topsportsmanta1

Post by topsportsmanta1 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:41 pm

yep cant describe it exactly but you can hear it !! love that sound its almost like i said the treble is saturated in bass or something lol !!!
mike

wdelaney72

Post by wdelaney72 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:37 am

garbeaj wrote: "Runnin' With The Devil"
Taking nothing away from the hands and the playing, I still believe the album was recorded in straight Eb and sped up later. Not that Ed couldn't play that fast....he could....just seems like a recording trick moreso to make DLR sound higher.
Walter

"There's no great thing in being a soloist. I think the hardest thing is to play together with a lot of people, and do it right." - Angus Young, 1984

FL6

Post by FL6 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:44 am

garbeaj wrote:
You are very welcome and I think I know exactly what you are talking about...that "sizzle" and "squishy" sound that seems to be peculiar to the Warner Bros. demos and the first album. That is one of the most elusive things about the first album tones. I don't know whether I'm getting it, but I know it when I hear it!
How are you recording your RWTD clip? Sounds great.

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:10 pm

wdelaney72 wrote:
garbeaj wrote: "Runnin' With The Devil"
Taking nothing away from the hands and the playing, I still believe the album was recorded in straight Eb and sped up later. Not that Ed couldn't play that fast....he could....just seems like a recording trick moreso to make DLR sound higher.
I would recommend that you read through my tuning thread...I've proven that the tuning is not due to tape speed manipulation. Individual strings are deliberately offset from each other to varying degrees. You can specifically see this in the tuning I posted above, and you can see in my thread how the tuning varies from album to album, song to song and sometimes even within the same song...for instance, the "Jamie's Cryin'" overdubbed harmony guitars are in a completely different tuning offset from the main rhythm track. Same goes for the "Women In Love" intro guitar...it is in a completely different tuning from the rest of the track. You can read more about this in the tuning thread I posted...

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:21 pm

FL6 wrote:
garbeaj wrote:
Are you talking about topsporstmanta's clip or Strat78's?

FL6

Post by FL6 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:17 pm

garbeaj wrote:
FL6 wrote:
garbeaj wrote: You are very welcome and I think I know exactly what you are talking about...that "sizzle" and "squishy" sound that seems to be peculiar to the Warner Bros. demos and the first album. That is one of the most elusive things about the first album tones. I don't know whether I'm getting it, but I know it when I hear it!
Are you talking about topsporstmanta's clip or Strat78's?
Strat78. Just a rough sketch.