VH Tracks with Kemper Plexi Profiles I made.

The man, the band, and everything else

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

plexified
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: VH Tracks with Kemper Plexi Profiles I made.

Post by plexified » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:07 pm

I've been waiting for this.

How about you guys play the eruption recording and profile THAT. Would that not cut to the chase. ANd yes those Kempers are intense. I may be pulling the trigger on one myself. Personally I have been pretty blown away with the usage of this amps concept and my only gripe is that its still got a slightly limited dynamic regarding the distortions alone, I would refer to it as a type of compression. I have built AD/DA converters to do a hard core dynamic conversion that makes the premise of creating smooth sound waves. Think of an etcha-sketch drawing circles, not so accurate, but the more you go after this conversion is where the technology REALLY gets to the finish line. Andy Johns from Audio Note turned me on to this technology. And that technology is in need of shrinking in size to get to that point. It can be used as an outboard tool however , its just that the Kemper still has its own AD/DA limitations, that's where engineering will shine in his next hardware release FYI.

Use Eruption and Fools and maybe Means Streets intro and go for it! :clap:

eljodon
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by eljodon » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:28 pm

You need the amp to make a profile.I wish I could profile the tone from the album! The Kemper has S/PDIF in/out so you can bypass the the AD/DA and use your own converters.I've been thinking of doing Mean Streets, I have the separate tracks for a think 20 VH tracks or more. I did "So this is love" using the 68' Metro/Friedman Plexi, but I need to finish the last solo. I also have versions of the songs that I posted with the amp I profiled with a slaved version and non-slaved version which I posted a while ago. The tone I get is not perfect but is slightly close, besides, I don't have Ed's hands! I'm just a very cheap imitation! Lol!
Suhr PT100SE ,Metro/Friedman 68' Plexi, ,Friedman BE100,EVH 5150iiiS,Fender Vibrolux 68'/Alessandro,VoxAC30,Kemper

plexified

Post by plexified » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:06 pm

I watched Rob Chapman and Anderton do a profile or a sample of their Victory Silverback and they miced up a cabinet and profiled it. Why couldn't you use the speaker from your stereo miced up running Eruption, Fools or the Fair Warning intro to do the same? Seems possible to me based on what Anderton music did.

What is the protocol that the Kemper requires to sample? Anderton just miced a guitar amp speaker. They said its up to you where to place the mic. Seems like an album or raw track even would be enough. Even if you had to loop it to play for a longer span of time. No?

eljodon

Post by eljodon » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:55 pm

The Kemper is really sensitive to artifacts, it even knows if you have a compressor inline or a noise reduction so I would think that reverb would have also an effect. It took me awhile to be able to get the Plexi to sound correct since everything is one ten. I had to use a Fryette Power Station to make it work. The Kemper runs a series of "test tones" through the amp so I have no clue how that would work with a recording. Look at the manual which it explains you how is done so you can see what I'm talking about. You'll see the way is plugged so you can make a profile.
Do you have the procedure on a video of them actually doing it?
Suhr PT100SE ,Metro/Friedman 68' Plexi, ,Friedman BE100,EVH 5150iiiS,Fender Vibrolux 68'/Alessandro,VoxAC30,Kemper

JimiJames

Post by JimiJames » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:10 am

Seems like it would sample like mic'ing a cab IDK ?
Flat-line mic with a reference monitor (e.g. Beyerdynamic NC201 w/Genelec).
... you can't stop me from getting Ace Frehley's Live LPC tone. :D
RIP Mark Abrahamian-rockstah -classmate/roommate
RIP Ben Wise -StuntDouble- comrade-in-arms

eljodon

Post by eljodon » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:20 am

Just check the manual and you'll see what I'm talking about. Basically, you mic the cabinet and you plug the mic into the Kemper's return which is an XLR then the direct out/send goes into the guitar amp input, the mains goes into your monitor system and your guitar goes into the input of the Kemper. If you mic the cabinet and use the cabinet to play the recording in won't work because you need a full range cabinet to play a recorded guitar from the album since it won't sound right using a guitar cabinet. Also, the Kemper profiles the amp by applying various test tones which goes through the amp while that test tone gets recorded to the Kemper from the cabinet with the mic that's connected to the Kemper.
What I do different which yields better results is that instead of using a mic I plug my SSL mixer to the Kemper(instead of the mic) and blend various mics and speakers into the Kemper which creates an IR and a profile of the amp at the same time. I can actually change the IR's and use it on a different amp profile.

plexified

Post by plexified » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:40 pm

I understand now. I do truly appreciate you sharing this with us my friend. You really opened my eyes here especially regarding the parametric EQ. I think your tone and playing are a pleasure to listen to. Just the whole package right their.
I was late to the party on the Kemper, but after Rabea Mossad and Rob Chapman did a blind test with the Victory Silverback and Kraken amps I played along and was convinced. They both were too and to booth they are Victory sponsored players , Robs Silverback amp is one he was invlolved in the prototype build ! So It was a fun you tube and Your post here is super timely. Like the final test for me personally.
Initially I thought the hardware would go through upgrades , but turns out the software is still growing and advancing. Definitely a serious tool for a studio and anyone lucky enough to grasp this technology and run with it.
This is a big realization for me at this point, I have seen the technology birth the quality and practicality of application to the next frontier this month , by having these deep looks at it.

Definitely did not mean to imply your tones were nothing less than awesome, it was just a light bulb going off and thinking out loud.

In hindsight, my suggestion of profiling the album tone is bordering on sampling and copywrite protection and actual ethics issues. This is as close as it gets. The best take away I think is that so many great tones will get to be heard from all those amazing amps that are collected and not used. And from great players like you , kind enough to share your enthusiasm and hard work ! Thanks again , David

eljodon

Post by eljodon » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:45 pm

plexified wrote:I understand now. I do truly appreciate you sharing this with us my friend. You really opened my eyes here especially regarding the parametric EQ. I think your tone and playing are a pleasure to listen to. Just the whole package right their.
I was late to the party on the Kemper, but after Rabea Mossad and Rob Chapman did a blind test with the Victory Silverback and Kraken amps I played along and was convinced. They both were too and to booth they are Victory sponsored players , Robs Silverback amp is one he was invlolved in the prototype build ! So It was a fun you tube and Your post here is super timely. Like the final test for me personally.
Initially I thought the hardware would go through upgrades , but turns out the software is still growing and advancing. Definitely a serious tool for a studio and anyone lucky enough to grasp this technology and run with it.
This is a big realization for me at this point, I have seen the technology birth the quality and practicality of application to the next frontier this month , by having these deep looks at it.

Definitely did not mean to imply your tones were nothing less than awesome, it was just a light bulb going off and thinking out loud.

In hindsight, my suggestion of profiling the album tone is bordering on sampling and copywrite protection and actual ethics issues. This is as close as it gets. The best take away I think is that so many great tones will get to be heard from all those amazing amps that are collected and not used. And from great players like you , kind enough to share your enthusiasm and hard work ! Thanks again , David
No worries! And thanks, I don't consider myself that good of a player, but I appreciate the compliment.

I like to share whatever I learn with anyone who's willing to listen. It takes years to learn how to record or many hours to learn a new piece of equipment and if I can help anyone to bypass the hours I spent pulling my hair learning something, I don't mind passing on some information to spear them of the pain and suffering!Lol!
I've been using the Kemper for almost a year and I've been using the Axe Fx 2 mark II since it came out and before that, I had the Ultra and the reason I got it was because I have a bad back. The band I'm playing with play songs from 70's,80's and 90's and I need many different amp tones so the Axe Fx 2 or the Kemper allows me to get the tones I need. I'm now using the Kemper for all the amps and the Axe Fx 2 for effects(the Axe Fx 2 has a lot more effects than the Kemper) powered by a Mesa Boogie 2 90 through a Port City Wave 2 x 12 loaded with 2 Scumbacks 100w BH75. It sounds quite good, but I took my real amps to rehearsal and it sounded amazing! I had to use a PT100, BE100 a Mesa Boogie Recto and the Metro/Plexi plugged into an Ampete 444 for amp switching to cover all the tones I needed! I had to use the Suhr Reactive Load and slave my amps into the Mesa 2 90 using the Axe Fx 2 for effects and a rack with 12 pedals using the RJM Effects gizmo and mini gizmo. So I had 3 hours of pleasure and 1 week of back pain!
The Kemper sounds the best through a full range speaker system.I profiled all my amps so I can used them live plus I can play in my living room with a pair of Mackie CR3 small monitors and it's really inspiring!
You have to do 2 sets of profiling one with the cabinet which you use to record the Kemper DI or use with FRFR speakers and one without the cabinet which you use with an amp and a guitar cabinet. I purchased many profiles, but I prefer my own for some reason.The ones that I purchase sound better when I use the cabinet from my own profiles. You can also tweak the amp and speaker part of the profile quite a bit with many parameters.
The problem I'm having is translating it to stage volume because the good FRFR speakers cost $1,300 each or more! The AccuGroove speakers looks very promising because they're 3 way and they use 2 dome tweeters a 6" midrange and a 12" woofer and it puts out 400 watts. I just hate to spend that kind of money because I could spend it on a new amp or other fun things!
I hope I gave you some information that will be helpful to you and also my opinion and the difference between real amps and the Kemper.