Ted Templeman interview for 'Rising' book...

The man, the band, and everything else

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

plexified
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Ted Templeman interview for 'Rising' book...

Post by plexified » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:26 pm

Here is the first part of 3 which was interesting , and if you go to 7:17 he gets

asked....................... "THE QUESTION"

:shock: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjblv1A6jHI

Berlin

Re: Ted Templeman interview for 'Rising' book...

Post by Berlin » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:39 pm

I remember watching that video a while back and thinking man... You can hardly understand what Ted is even saying about the question... But also, and I'm sure it wasn't his intention to elaborate to the depths WE all wish he would have, given that platform and question asked in that moment along with with what appears to be this really subtle and meek personality he's conveying here-
BUT-
I WISH HE WOULDA LAUNCHED INTO AN IN DEPTH DETAILED RECOLLECTION (with clarity, volume and cohesiveness) about how much was them and how much was Ed as well as of course what Ed used-
Sworn to secrecy I spose- (kidding... I don't know) but it's kinda like- * rubbing hands together *.... Ok here we go!!! This is it!!! Edge of seat.... :drool:
Annnnnnnnd....
Static!!!!! :shock: :? :| :bang:

:lol: oh well...

Back to the drawing board- which many people here thankfully, have a correct drawing board as a reference already*
:wink:

countandduke

Post by countandduke » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:37 pm

So it was a Sennheiser right ON the cone!? No grille cloth? I wonder what speaker they mic'd? The Altec or the Celestion? Was it a Greenback?

Cool interview. I wonder how the book is?

Best,
Chris

FL6

Post by FL6 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:41 am

countandduke wrote:So it was a Sennheiser right ON the cone!? No grille cloth? I wonder what speaker they mic'd? The Altec or the Celestion? Was it a Greenback?

Cool interview. I wonder how the book is?

Best,
Chris
I highly recommend it. I've read it a couple of times since. It doesn't get too technical. You get a good understanding on how the band works and have always worked, i.e. it's Ed and Al, and how Ed was a superstar amazing guitarist the day he picked it up.

Megaro

Post by Megaro » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:44 pm

I caught that statement about tearing off the grill cloth, too. I have never done this before, but have read others state that it does not improve the sound.

Ruben

Post by Ruben » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:06 pm

I've actually removed the thick original basketweave from my 60's Marshall 4X12 straight cab and boy... DID it improve the sound! No joke.

beaulieu

Post by beaulieu » Thu May 11, 2017 9:30 am

Pretty sure I hear Ted say that Ed wanted him... Ted to borrow a Marshall Top from Montrose so he could record with it and he did.. Anyone else hear this
69 SuperBass Plexi
12000 Series Bulid
73 1987
68 Nos 50 build
2554 Combo
2550 Silver Jub stack
71 LesPaul Deluxe
68,71,73 4x12

rgalpin

Post by rgalpin » Thu May 11, 2017 12:53 pm

Ted's vision, as noted by himself in this interview, is that VH was "heavy metal with a sense of humor." We may have Ted to thank, not only for the most iconic guitar sound ever recorded, but also for the fact that Van Halen did not take itself so seriously as to shut the fan out - and instead that sense of humor invited us all to the party. That is the VH vibe maybe even more than the iconic guitar tone. :rock: