Tweaked MXR Delay for VH I Echoplex-style Tone

The man, the band, and everything else

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

Sean_McFly
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Tweaked MXR Delay for VH I Echoplex-style Tone

Post by Sean_McFly » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:41 am

Well, I finally got around to it, I finally started tweaking my signal chain to get the brownest, chewiest tones from my 4550 Deluxe, and I'm pretty happy with the result so far (so happy that I didn't even bother to set up mics yet and recorded a clip on my iphone of the tone in the room. Granted, it is 3AM at my studio and I was a tad lazy). I tweaked the gain response from the MXR Carbon copy's circuitry and what resulted was an extra bit of sag and chew that I really think puts the Bray's clarity and punch over the edge and gives it that VH I bite! This is with the deep, hot, and harmonics switches activated, all knobs on 10, and only channel 1 is activated. I'm using my ash musikraft franky with the DSD hard mounted to the bridge. Let me know if you have any questions on the pedal settings, speaker cab setup, etc, and most importantly, enjoy the tone!

https://soundcloud.com/seans-evh-explor ... -recording

:vh: :toast: :shred:
"Guess you guys aren't ready for that yet, but your kids are gonna love it"- Marty Mcfly

garbeaj

Re: Tweaked MXR Delay for VH I Echoplex-style Tone

Post by garbeaj » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:19 am

Even with just the iPhone, the core tone is happening always...but, have you tried the MXR/Dunlop Echoplex Delay and the Preamp instead of the Carbon Copy?

These two pedals made a big difference for me and following Pete Thorn's setting got me right on the money as far as the MXR/Dunlop Echoplex settings copping a good approximation of the Echoplex in front of the amp thing that Eddie had going.

dirtycooter

Post by dirtycooter » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:33 pm

Two delays in series
100 ms 1 repeat
300ms couple repeats
Try it if you can

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:21 pm

dirtycooter wrote:Two delays in series
100 ms 1 repeat
300ms couple repeats
Try it if you can
For first album sounds? I'm only hearing the single repeat in front of the amp...as Pete Thorn recently demonstrated.

dirtycooter

Post by dirtycooter » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:25 am

Try it and the flanger sounds even better with 2 delays like this

Sean_McFly

Post by Sean_McFly » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:50 pm

dirtycooter wrote:Two delays in series
100 ms 1 repeat
300ms couple repeats
Try it if you can
Ahhh man as soon as I get my hands on that second delay pedal, I'm trying that!!
"Guess you guys aren't ready for that yet, but your kids are gonna love it"- Marty Mcfly

dirtycooter

Post by dirtycooter » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:06 am

Theres always that 100ms early reflection or slap I hear on the early records. If the reverb predelay isn't about 100ms it isn't VH to my ears. A slap at 100ms seems to replicated what I hear be it verb or an actual slap

Sean_McFly

Post by Sean_McFly » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:26 pm

dirtycooter wrote:Theres always that 100ms early reflection or slap I hear on the early records. If the reverb predelay isn't about 100ms it isn't VH to my ears. A slap at 100ms seems to replicated what I hear be it verb or an actual slap
Yeah I wanted to ask if you thought that 100ms was a reverb predelay or another actual delay

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:20 pm

Cooter do you have a demo clip of these two delay sounds?

I think I'm already getting this 100ms delay in my H9's reverb preset that I use going to a second amp just for reverb. I use the Dunlop Echoplex delay in front of my main amp for the main delay setup as Pete Thorn has it set (with minor tweaks for tempo of particular tracks)...

dirtycooter

Post by dirtycooter » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:55 pm

The 100ms simulates the verb early reflections

JimiJames

Post by JimiJames » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:21 am

RIP Mark Abrahamian-rockstah -classmate/roommate
RIP Ben Wise -StuntDouble- comrade-in-arms

FL6

Post by FL6 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:25 am

How did you boost the carbon copy?

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:30 am

Yeah, that's the main 300ms...I'm probably already getting the 100ms in the reverb preset in my H9 which I have going to a seperate amp. I'm also doing the MXR/Dunlop Echoplex into the front of the main amp exactly as Thorn is doing here.

dirtycooter

Post by dirtycooter » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:45 pm

Havin had the pcm80 still haven't messed with it much as I could have been last couple years. Newfound daughter, been through a wedding for her, new granddaughter last month-5 grandkids total now with two xmas and twice througg all bdays.... Been far too busy!
But the eventide pedal in a shootout came pretty damn close to the PCM!!
And wish this PCM was as easy to tweak on the fly with dedicated knobs like the eventide to each parameter.
Eventide sounded smoother less grainy actually but not so dimensional from what I could tell. But pretty damn close.
Pcm sounds amazing but man its a headache to navigate and tweak :roll:
Still tryin to dial in a strong early reflection kinda verb on it. But its so 3D big sounding. Lotta learning curve.

I think thorn is right though... Delay has to be in chain in front. Though I will likely never quite do it that way.
I only want coloring and flavor effects in front. All that dimensional stuff I like post amp. But thats just me.

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:40 am

dirtycooter wrote:Havin had the pcm80 still haven't messed with it much as I could have been last couple years. Newfound daughter, been through a wedding for her, new granddaughter last month-5 grandkids total now with two xmas and twice througg all bdays.... Been far too busy!
But the eventide pedal in a shootout came pretty damn close to the PCM!!
And wish this PCM was as easy to tweak on the fly with dedicated knobs like the eventide to each parameter.
Eventide sounded smoother less grainy actually but not so dimensional from what I could tell. But pretty damn close.
Pcm sounds amazing but man its a headache to navigate and tweak :roll:
Still tryin to dial in a strong early reflection kinda verb on it. But its so 3D big sounding. Lotta learning curve.

I think thorn is right though... Delay has to be in chain in front. Though I will likely never quite do it that way.
I only want coloring and flavor effects in front. All that dimensional stuff I like post amp. But thats just me.
I use the H9 for reverb in a wet amp with the early reflections and all that reverb-delay stuff, but I use the Dunlop Echoplex delay and Preamp in front of my main dry amp just as Thorn does. Works great for me.