Opinion of Marshall 1959 Reissue?

The man, the band, and everything else

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

motrock

Opinion of Marshall 1959 Reissue?

Post by motrock » Sun May 28, 2017 9:15 pm

Hey guys, I have been looking at some options for a 100 watt Plexi. I am looking in to possibly finding a used Marshall 1959 Reissue. What is your honest opinion of the amp? I have heard some killer clips of them, and I have to say, I am impressed. Does anyone here have one and doing the Van Halen thing with it? Variac to 90 Volts with 6CA7s? Just curious. Check out some cool clips I have found. The amp sounds really awesome!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E78f3WqquIY

First half of this clip is the amp without a pedal!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1D5alOCO1qk

motrock

Re: Opinion of Marshall 1959 Reissue?

Post by motrock » Tue May 30, 2017 10:13 am

Anyone play the reissues? 34 views and no replied. Kind of surprised!

matttornado

Post by matttornado » Tue May 30, 2017 1:17 pm

We'll I have original, it is incredible FWIW.
This place is a ghost town. Not very active anymore. The whole Eddie thing was beaten to death after realizing his amp was basically stock.
try the marshall amp forum.

motrock

Post by motrock » Tue May 30, 2017 5:45 pm

Yeah man, it appears so. I miss the good old days of super long thread of everyone discussing this stuff. It was fun.

matttornado

Post by matttornado » Tue May 30, 2017 6:04 pm

It sure was! I learned so much tweaking and modding my amp. The funny thing is after al the mods, master volumes, cap / resistor changes.... I'm back to an almost stock amp. Go figure, right? Lol

motrock

Post by motrock » Tue May 30, 2017 10:58 pm

matttornado wrote:It sure was! I learned so much tweaking and modding my amp. The funny thing is after al the mods, master volumes, cap / resistor changes.... I'm back to an almost stock amp. Go figure, right? Lol
Yeah, I hear ya man. I have a 50watt Plexi with the 6CA7s and the variac at 90volts. Crazy part is, I don't know what the bias is supposed to be at. When its at 90volts there is supposedly some way of calculating what the bias of the tubes should be at. They say its 50ma at normal voltage and then when you drop it, it should be good. however; I heard you can bias when the voltage is dropped. Need to figure that out.

Hell, I am thinking about buying a Suhr SL68 and being done with it. It has a variac switch! LOL Call it good there!

matttornado

Post by matttornado » Wed May 31, 2017 6:44 am

Measure the B+ voltage with the variac at 90 volts VAC and let me know.

motrock

Post by motrock » Wed May 31, 2017 11:24 am

matttornado wrote:Measure the B+ voltage with the variac at 90 volts VAC and let me know.
I have no idea how to do that?

matttornado

Post by matttornado » Wed May 31, 2017 2:54 pm

Oh ok. That is dangerous! so if you don't know how, you might want to take it to a tech.
What you do is measure the DC Voltage at pin 3 on one of your output tubes. It's usually between 350 - 500 volts.

motrock

Post by motrock » Wed May 31, 2017 11:17 pm

matttornado wrote:Oh ok. That is dangerous! so if you don't know how, you might want to take it to a tech.
What you do is measure the DC Voltage at pin 3 on one of your output tubes. It's usually between 350 - 500 volts.
I actually just found a tech today. The guy knows exactly what I am talking about! Was surprised that someone local knew about this. This guy apparently normally works on $50,000 audio rigs! LOL Guitar amps are simple to this guy.

Gonna have to swap out the Output Transformer also!

matttornado

Post by matttornado » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:20 am

What? Swap out output transformer? Is broke?
If it isn't, be careful that he's not pulling your leg. If your amp works, I doubt you need a new output tranny! Sounds suspicious to me.

If he does replace, make sure you get the original one even if he said it is bad.

Back when I didn't know anything about Amps,
A tech told me I needed a new power tranny but that wasn't the case. I think he just wanted an original one for a build he was doing! I didn't know any better at the time or else I would have asked for the "broken" one back.

Ask him why he needs to replace it and ask him to show you why.

I'd hate to see you pay an arm and a leg for
A simple bias adjustment that should cost no more than a few bucks.

Good luck and let me know how you make out.

motrock

Post by motrock » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:22 am

matttornado wrote:What? Swap out output transformer? Is broke?
If it isn't, be careful that he's not pulling your leg. If your amp works, I doubt you need a new output tranny! Sounds suspicious to me.

If he does replace, make sure you get the original one even if he said it is bad.

Back when I didn't know anything about Amps,
A tech told me I needed a new power tranny but that wasn't the case. I think he just wanted an original one for a build he was doing! I didn't know any better at the time or else I would have asked for the "broken" one back.

Ask him why he needs to replace it and ask him to show you why.

I'd hate to see you pay an arm and a leg for
A simple bias adjustment that should cost no more than a few bucks.

Good luck and let me know how you make out.
Oh no.. its not bad. I even asked George about it. I have a JTM45 OT in my Plexi. Hammond OT. I have been wanting to swap it out for a while. George even told me that the JTM45 OT isn't as efficient as a regular Plexi OT. So I asked this dude the same question; without telling him what George said, and he said the exact same thing. So I asked him if he would change it out. He said yes. So I need to look at OT options. I told him I would buy the OT and bring it to him. He suggested Hoeybor.

Same thing with my other amp. I have a Mojave Peacemaker that was rebuilt 4 times... LOL. Well, it needs a new board and new filtering. I had it modded in to a 2203. I want this guy to swap out the board and filtering. Again, I told him I am going to buy all the parts.

Compared to what he does for a full time job, guitar amps are easy. Not going to get charged much at all. He works for a local guitar repair shop that I trust.

matttornado

Post by matttornado » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:49 pm

whew! that's good.

JiMB
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by JiMB » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:46 pm

Hi motrock,
I think they're fine amps, of course that's me and my amp in the vids. The second vid was before I had a mv installed, that amp was a fire breather right from the start. At 9 o' clock it already had great gain. There's another vid on my channel with no mv and I'm using a Black Cat Unleash with the amp cranked.
The first clip it has a ppimv(larmar) installed.
I still have the amp and love it. I've since had Dave Friedman install his BE Mod and fx loop (as with my 1974 Super Lead, also). They both sound very similar.
I used to do the 90 volts variac thing with my old Super Leads many years ago but always with EL34's.
Hope that helps. They're great amps that you can find from $1000-$1400 on the used market.

awangotango
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by awangotango » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:05 am

the reissues do not all sound that good obviously, but get a good one and it will be as good as most plexi reproductions. I playe a 90's 50w that was instant angus. unreal. so there are good ones to be had