Little Dreamer - The very last riff

The man, the band, and everything else

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

CWalker
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Little Dreamer - The very last riff

Post by CWalker » Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:52 pm

Howdy! :toast:

I was told a few :vh: experts reside here :)

I've been trying to figure out what Eddie's doing on the very last riff of Little Dreamer. (2:58)

The 2nd half of the phrase, I *believe* is 2nd string hammer on from 16 to 18.....immediately dive and then bend back up to vibrato. I think I've got that part correct.

It's the first part I'm stumped on. :help: It's like there's little to no attack at the front end of the note, almost like a flub....I looped it and was still stumped. Most everything I've seen on YT sounds or is wrong.

(I did a search first, so forgive me if covered)

garbeaj

Re: Little Dreamer - The very last riff

Post by garbeaj » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:50 pm

Bill I haven't tackled this one yet...I'm sure you know it. What say you?
https://youtu.be/kbixKDRxIz0?t=2m58s

johnnybgoood
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by johnnybgoood » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:39 am

All on 1st string. It's a feel thing playing hammered and pulled-off notes with the bar depressed and released. Using it to get the accentuated vibrato. Kind of like David Gilmour...

Whammy bar vibrato
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV VVVVVVVV VVVVVVVVV
predive full step quick release dive P slower release H full bend
---------10---------------13----------------------10------------------------13-----------

CWalker

Post by CWalker » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:43 pm

Awesome, I'll try it tonight. The "bar depressed first" deal crossed my mind, just couldn't find it. :thumbsup:

CWalker

Post by CWalker » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:00 pm

Ok, I think I'm the right track thanks to the help/ :toast:

You kinda 'warble' the second note. It's a booger to get.....still working at it.

Thanks!!

wjamflan

Post by wjamflan » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:54 am

Last edited by wjamflan on Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:17 am, edited 3 times in total.

wjamflan

Post by wjamflan » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:08 am

Not sure what's up with the board.... edits are messed up..... here's what it should read as (I hope)...

Hey guys. I believe this is one Ed's "happy accident" kind of licks. In other words, that first note after the ring finger slide wasn't planned. Here's what I think happened.

------------------------H---SL------------*------------------------------------------------
E----------------------------------------(18)----------------------------------------------
B-------------------------------------------------18----(17)----(18)----(17)----(18)----
G-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
D-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
E----------------------(3)--/--(16)-------------------------------------------------------
Pick/trem (RH)-------------------------U------D--v-------^--------v--------^----

------------------------------------------------------------B1.5-->--R.5-->--B1.5-->--R.5-->--B1.5----
E------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
B---------------------15----18--------(15)--------(18)----------------------------------------------------
G------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
D------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
E------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pick/trem (RH)-----U-----D----v-----------^------------------------------------------------------------

The * above the (18) on the high E is because I believe that Ed's left hand pinky pulled the high off the edge of the B & W Franky fretboard. Why?

Please see the following pic and maximize it: http://www.rig-talk.com/forum/download/ ... &mode=view

Do you see how close the high E gets to the edge of the board by the 18th fret? I think his focus was divided by grabbing the bar and that this was just a physical mistake that sounded cool. If you listen to the slow downer clip below you'll hear that that weird, almost harmonic-sounding noise sounds like a high C# note. There's no time to bend to hit that note, nor do you hear one if you listen. Of course I could be completely wrong. Ha. Hope it helps....

Slow Downer Clip: http://www.mediafire.com/file/b35kfxbrd ... _speed.wav

PS - I should add that the pinky pulling the high E off the board was not completely off the board. If you pull it completely off it sounds a D note. It's off just enough to give the C#.....

wjamflan

Post by wjamflan » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:41 pm

For what it is worth, I also think it could be the following:

------------------------H---SL------------*------------------------------------------------
E----------------------------------------(15)----------------------------------------------
B-------------------------------------------------18----(17)----(18)----(17)----(18)----
G-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
D-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
E----------------------(3)--/--(16)-------------------------------------------------------
Pick/trem (RH)-------------------------U------D--v-------^--------v--------^----

------------------------------------------------------------B1.5-->--R.5-->--B1.5-->--R.5-->--B1.5----
B---------------------15----18--------(15)--------(18)----------------------------------------------------
G------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
D------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pick/trem (RH)-----U-----D----v-----------^------------------------------------------------------------

It would just be the index pulling the high E off the board instead of the pinky. I get the same result either way on my guitar.....

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:10 am

I can't get in front of my guitars right now, but I do think this is definitely a "happy accident". No way this was pre-planned or an intentional lick. I'll be off tomorrow and give Bill's TABs a shot...they both seem perfectly plausible...

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:21 pm

I've tried both and for me I lean towards the Index finger version. Just seems more Ed-like to me...but the main thing is that I do agree that the weird noise was most likely cause by this odd pull-off thing on the high E exactly as Bill has described.

It's a beautiful accident...really fits the lyrical and expressive nature of the solo. It is indeed a Gilmour-like accidental phrase...kind've like certain moments in the "Another Brick In The Wall (Part 2)" solo. Just killer.

wjamflan

Post by wjamflan » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:29 pm

I lean towards the pinky version because of the last lick of the guitar solo.

CWalker

Post by CWalker » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:48 am

garbeaj wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:21 pm
I do agree that the weird noise was most likely cause by this odd pull-off thing on the high E exactly as Bill has described.
Yes. That one funky note is "unduplicatable" (new word :lol: )

CWalker

Post by CWalker » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:58 pm

Was goofing around with this just now. Is it possible he tapped the 1st note?

If you hammer the note like this:

------------------------------------------------------------------------
---T20-p-18---------------------15-h-18--------------------------------
---------------^-V -^- V-^-V----------------V--Bend-up--Vibrato----

Would kinda explain the lack of 'attack' on that first note, but it still doesn't get that funky overtone. (shrug)

If it's not it, I think it's how I'm faking it :) :)

CWalker

Post by CWalker » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:22 pm

Have this unlisted, because I just did with my iPhone real quick. I didn't nail what I was trying to do, but you can kinda get the vibe at 2:48

https://youtu.be/G046JfVK3Ns

Needed to hold the 1st note a split second longer before pull of. Whadda ya think?

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:41 pm

I would rule out any tapping...I'm confident Bill has it right. Tough to recreate, but I think that Bill's TAB represents what Eddie actually did.

I'd love for Bill to share his take on the entire solo! I know he has it down...