EVH frankenstrat volume pot question

The man, the band, and everything else

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

antosimoni
Just the numbers in order: 7

EVH frankenstrat volume pot question

Post by antosimoni » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:49 am

Hi
I need to ask for some clarification about EVH frankenstrat, given that in its original form (FWIK):
1)pickup was a hot one (12-14K)
2)volume pot was a 500K one
how could he achieve such a gret clean sound with just a twist on its volume knob?
Im no EVH expert but in my experience even a normal PAF-style humbucker with a 500K pot never cleans nicely with a dimed plexi (I have to admit that I dont have a floating bridge and I position my bridge PU very near to the strings: 2-3/64")

Im suspecting that the pot was a 250K/300K one as in the '78 interview EVH claims that the guitar "almost weighs as a les paul" and that reminded me of George Lynch which used to assemble guitars (and took the best parts for him), its superstrat had a maple body and weighted like a les paul... but it should also sound on the bright side so a 500K pot in my opinion will be way too bright (only guessing)

Many thanks for your help on my quest for better clean sound using only the volume pot
in loudspeakers we trust

Roe
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: EVH frankenstrat volume pot question

Post by Roe » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:59 pm

just measure the pot. its likely to be 500k. the humbucker is probably asymmetrically wound with one hot coil and one medium coil.

my experience is that a proper superlead has excellent ability to clear up with a vintage style humbucker. but a 2204 is more difficult (although 1987s usually clean up fairly well)
http://www.myspace.com/20bonesband" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.myspace.com/prostitutes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Super 100 amps: 1202-119 & 1202-84
JTM45 RS OT JTM50 JMP50 1959/2203/34/39