What's your best guess on Dirty Movies tone

The man, the band, and everything else

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

fivecoyote
Just the numbers in order: 7

What's your best guess on Dirty Movies tone

Post by fivecoyote » Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:39 pm

What we know -- hope I'm remembering right -- is that he supposedly used the same guitar(s) and Marshall on FW. But dang it it doesn't SOUND like it in all the tunes, notably Dirty Movies (rhythm tracks)...a tone and dirt I still love. So what's your best guess about what's responsible for that different tone?

1. Different amp
2. Different pickup
3. Different guitar (would the Shark with the DSD do this?)
4. A pedal??
5. The board/mix

Love to hear your opinions. Please no "it was a Les Paul" -- no proof of that. Then again, if you really thing that's it, then let me know that!
At it awhile, still learnin'

Get woodalicious tonology factoid learnin' at http://www.WOODYTONE.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;!

Megaro
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: What's your best guess on Dirty Movies tone

Post by Megaro » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:57 am

Well, I know you said no Les Paul stuff, but I have seen several references where Ed is credited with playing the slide part of the song with a Les Paul SG Jr. The rhythm part sounds too chunky to be a P-90, but he was using some different sound toys in the studio for the Fair Warning album.

Personally, I think he was using his usual rig for Dirty Movies. Ed has this highly individualized way of picking where his right hand is sometimes right over the bridge and his thumb is in what looks to be an unnatural position, but he is still pulling off palm muting. I say that because I think a big part of his sound, especially on tunes like Dirty Movies where he is whacking that low D, is how tight and mean those notes ring out.

fivecoyote
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by fivecoyote » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:39 pm

Thank you man, but I was talking about (wasn't clear, sorry) the beefier and definitely dirtier recorded tone. BUT I think today I answered my own question. Plugged in a piece of junk Strat with an old (1980?) DiMarzio Dual Sound -- which is a DSD with different wiring. Sounded amazing, just like Fair Warning. A possibility anyhow.... :scratch:
At it awhile, still learnin'

Get woodalicious tonology factoid learnin' at http://www.WOODYTONE.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;!

JimiJames

Post by JimiJames » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:04 pm

First... What's goin' on here? Appears like it used to say something, I dunno ? :what:
I got something like this ? :scratch:

Secondly, It was the early '70's and the DDS was Larry's first pickup, that somehow went away in the mid seventies with the introduction of the DSD, that found its way into the aftermarket in many guitars; to include Gibsons and Epiphones.
As was mentioned with the DDS; a DSD with different wiring; a DSD with two leads.

Thirdly, "Possibility" .... yeah...

What maple neck is this then ? Could this be the same neck? :shrug:
It's a 21 fret,
but was there a fret marker there, barely visble in the other OP image? Appears to have new frets?
RIP Mark Abrahamian-rockstah -classmate/roommate
RIP Ben Wise -StuntDouble- comrade-in-arms

plexified

Post by plexified » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:21 am

Ugh uh, Jimi breaking out the X Ray vision :D , hey my bro's. I kind of remember this was his new studio 5150 set up and he started getting into the Eventide H3000 , WDW rigs with the detune shimmer thingy at 10 miliseconds and the H & H Poweramps. I say that because come Diver Down you have LIttle Guitars. it has a very distinctive sound on the low E string scratches and such. Lets think about the effect themselves:

The 10 milliseconds delay with a higher mix and regen fattens the tone, you also have D/A converter compression and smoothing.

The single slap 90-120 millisecond is from DD and gives an interesting purrrrr if you will when mixed with chorus (hold that thought)

Eventide H3000 was used as a chorus with the detune pan L/R in cents and the chorus in Milliseconds and modulation, a very sophisticated unit. This is very noticeable on Little Guitars, but not on Fair Warning.

So Fair Warning RAW TRAXX have a different feel when isolated than with the mix. Wetter and brighter for lack of better clarification. The Record track is one of my favorite and I agree with Woody its super fat and chewy and his palm muting is super good here. Your mostly hearing the voltage sag on the power transformer here.

So I suggest an experiment with a dry tone, moderate gain, and first dial in these effects above I outlined. THEN combine them. Chunk up the tone with 10 Milliseconds in a transparent way, add the super fast single slap , and then simulate your best chorus in a subtle way. The Eventide is a priceless rig so lets not kid ourselves its the most important piece, but give it a shot. Subtle is key, you can start to hear it solo, but in the mix it goes away and you will hear what I mean. Its definitely not super high gain, the palm mute chugged hard with the FX treatment will surprise you!!!!

Dirty Movies is one of my Faves too Woody, I make up my own Dave Lyrics too. Whos that baby in apocalypse shadows?

Back to the Sigils now discovered in the AXE !!! :rockon: