Pickup swap for EVH Wolfgang Stealth

The man, the band, and everything else

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

calan
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Pickup swap for EVH Wolfgang Stealth

Post by calan » Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:28 pm

So I picked up a cheap Sterling S.U.B. AX4 over the weekend, and was surprised at how good it sounded. In the process of setting it up and comparing it to a few of my other guitars, I came back around to thinking maybe I should upgrade my WG Stealth pups. (The cheap little Indonesian Axis clone sounds much clearer and all around "better" than my WG... almost to the point of being ridiculous).

Anyway... I've always contemplated changing out the EVH pups for something a little milder with more clarity, that cleans up better. After some research on the original Axis pups, it seems that Dimarzio AT-1/Tone Zone/Air Norton are about as cloase as you can get to those originals...and seeing as how the SBMM AX4's pups are supposedly clones of those original custom pups, that seems to be in the ballpark of what I'm looking for.

Digging through my parts bins, I found a set of Dimarzio Satch pups (Mo' Joe bridge and PAF Joe neck) that I bought several years ago for a project guitar, that just didn't jive with that particular guitar. But, they are in the same general area as the ones mentioned above.

So has anyone tried the Mo' Joe and PAF Joe in an EVH Wolfgang? On paper, I think it might work... but figured I'd bounce the idea around before heating up the soldering iron.

- Craig