Eruption RAW Take 1. Studio 1 SM56 Cab Mic + Sony C-37A Room Mic

The man, the band, and everything else

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

plexified
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Eruption RAW Take 1. Studio 1 SM56 Cab Mic + Sony C-37A Room Mic

Post by plexified » Sat Nov 18, 2023 6:39 pm

Recently I was able to aquire a treasure trove of early Van Halen material including one of the RAW SM-56 Cab mics on Eddies Cab. Then the other day Sunset Sound Released the Live Room Overhead mic, the Sony C-37A Tube mic recording. I did what any one would do, load it into my DAW and hear them Together !

So what you will hear is the two tracks loaded into the DAW as 4 tracks, I leveled the tracks and panned the 56 10% Left and the 37 10% Right. After experimentation, about ten seconds, this was an insane representation of the room sound without the final mix and Reverb Don Landee added.

Don Landee's assistant Recording Engineer, Peggy McCreary made hand drawn mic placements still contained in the work orders at Sunset Sound and she notates the Sony as being above Al's Hi Hats and behind Eds cab. The 56 is of course tight mic on one of two speakers in the top of Eds 4X12. This cab is placed in front of Al, per the studio picture, and is facing a wall that has glass on it. So the Sony is also capturing the reflection of the cab bouncing off this glass. Perhaps why they selected the 1960A cab. This was the exact recording technique Donn Landee used to record Montrose Rock Candy according to Doug Messanger within the Sunset Sound Interviews ! The results speak for themselves . . . Enjoy

@ https://www.soundclick.com/mrdavidscott :vh: :rockon:

PLX
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: Eruption RAW Take 1. Studio 1 SM56 Cab Mic + Sony C-37A Room Mic

Post by PLX » Sat Nov 18, 2023 7:38 pm

grabbed it.

Thanks man :!:

:rock:
Wax Capacitor. LoL!