Question about staking metro terminals

Info about our boards and kits.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

WilliamTheSwan

Question about staking metro terminals

Post by WilliamTheSwan » Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:51 pm

Hey guys I'm going to be building a new amp soon, and I like making my own boards so I can adjust the layout. The metro circuit board terminals these look sweet and are less expensive than keystone or hoffman turrets. My question is how easy/difficult is it to stake them in XX phenolic? Do use the standard turret tool or something else?
Thanks
Ben

GUITARmole
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by GUITARmole » Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:54 am

I've wondered the same thing. I've read you can use the standard staking tool but I don't understand how it would work??

Single turrets have the ridge that rests on the frontside of the board so that when you flare the turret on the backside it holds it tight in the hole. From what I can tell from the pic, there's no flared ridge so I don't see what would prevent the turret from pushing through the backside of the board other than the component lead that you'd have soldered to it.

el34on11

Post by el34on11 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:00 am

The Metro turrets don't need to be staked, but you need to drill the exact size hole and press them through...Even tho it says 1/8" I found that 1/8" hole is a bit too big for a nice tight fit. I use a machine screw size 32 drill bit and that gives you a nice tight fit.
Hope that helps you :D

Derrick
LesPauls and Marshall's

VelvetGeorge
Site Owner
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by VelvetGeorge » Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:38 am

We use a 3mm bit and press the terminals into place. I modified a couple Torx bits (#10 if I remember correctly) to fit the inside diameter. We chuck it up in the press and push them in.

VG
Check out Plexi Replicas for my personal amp builds...

wdelaney72

Post by wdelaney72 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:08 pm

George's split turrets are the best option out there... regardless of cost. They instll the esiest and they are the most flexible in that they have the hollw center.

I've staked these with a homemade staking tool similar to Hoffman. I've also used Keystone's staking tool, as well.
Walter

"There's no great thing in being a soloist. I think the hardest thing is to play together with a lot of people, and do it right." - Angus Young, 1984

WilliamTheSwan

Post by WilliamTheSwan » Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:13 pm

thanks guys.