Staking split turrets

Info about our boards and kits.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

Billy Batz

Staking split turrets

Post by Billy Batz » Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:29 pm

How exactly do you guys do them? It looks different then keystone turrets but maybe not.

Guitar Adjuster

Post by Guitar Adjuster » Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:06 pm

I use a turret staking tool and base from this guy:

http://www.turretboards.com/

Install the turret, turn it over and press it into the board, simple as that!

Here is a semi close up of the board I recently put some on....

Billy Batz

Post by Billy Batz » Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:49 am

I have the hoffman turret staking tool for keystone turrets but it doesnt seem to work as good on these split turrets.

Guitar Adjuster

Post by Guitar Adjuster » Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:27 pm

Billy Batz wrote:I have the hoffman turret staking tool for keystone turrets but it doesnt seem to work as good on these split turrets.
The split top turrets use a special staking tool, I think it's bigger? Anyway it works great on the split top turrets George sells or the ones from Turretboards.com

Flames1950

Post by Flames1950 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:12 pm

The Hoffman tool worked fine on the split turrets until this last batch I got from George, now the turrets want to stick inside the tool.

Billy Batz

Post by Billy Batz » Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:25 pm

Unfortunately I got most of the way through building the board which is nos material before I realized there was a missing turret or I wouldve done it first thing. So now I have all the components and wires to contend with but it still should be fine. Ill see when the turret gets here.
Last edited by Billy Batz on Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HEAVIER THAN HELL

Post by HEAVIER THAN HELL » Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:57 pm

I've never used a staking tool, I just whack the bottom with a hammer till the bottom 'bruises' and spreads out. Always worked for me so far - I never knew there was another way till recently.

8)

PCollen

Post by PCollen » Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:58 pm

HEAVIER THAN HELL wrote:I've never used a staking tool, I just whack the bottom with a hammer till the bottom 'bruises' and spreads out. Always worked for me so far - I never knew there was another way till recently.

8)
Doesn't that risk damaging the top-side, "working end" of the turret.

Wicksy

Post by Wicksy » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:08 am

I made my own version. I took a 12mm bolt and nut (to make the hex head area wider so it stayed in the vice better) and drilled a hole slightly wider than that of the turret. That was my staking anvil. I use a large centre punch that ive rounded off slightly to splay out the bottom. I finish it by hammering out flat the turrt bottom with a small hammer. I get pretty good results from that though i have only made small one off mountings for rectifers and large fliter caps.
Simon

neikeel

Post by neikeel » Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:34 pm

My set up is similar to Simon's

I use a v small socket head as the anvil (just big enough for the flange of the turret) and use an old centre punch to peen the end enough to grip the board.

One tap to grip, check it is not twisted and 2nd tap for it to be secure.
Neil

RoryB

Post by RoryB » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:37 pm

Hi Guitar Adjuster, did you get the board from turretboards.com pre-drilled or did you have to do it? Cos I'm trying to get a board thats predrilled like yours, with standard holes, for a non-plexi amp build.
RoryB

Guitar Adjuster

Post by Guitar Adjuster » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:04 pm

RoryB wrote:Hi Guitar Adjuster, did you get the board from turretboards.com pre-drilled or did you have to do it? Cos I'm trying to get a board thats predrilled like yours, with standard holes, for a non-plexi amp build.
RoryB
It was a blank board and I drilled it myself. I keep trying to get George to sell a template so we can use to drill our own boards but no luck. I used an old 10" perf board as a template then tape the two together and drill it out on my drill press. You may call and ask Turretboards if they will drill it for you.

RoryB

Post by RoryB » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:06 pm

Thanks Guitar Adjuster, I'll give them a email. Otherwise I think I'll just pull out the drill.
RoryB

dgl333

cool thread

Post by dgl333 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:24 am

What an apropos thread. I was literally just pondering the drilling and staking of my own board. Someone give me a quickie and a reach around here. I am as good as it gets with a drill, but would guess you need a drill press to get perfect holes and some kinda staking tool. From that point on bring it????

Peace
Dave
Metro 100 built to 12000 specs XF2's, RCA's and a Brimar
50 composite being built

Someone please tell them that Boogies don't sound Brown