1st timer board install help

Info about our boards and kits.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

clarkydaz

Post by clarkydaz » Fri Jan 28, 2005 6:53 am

i believe they may be all joined together at one point?

clarkydaz

Post by clarkydaz » Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:20 am

ok, just to clarify the filter cap. are both the reds tied together and soldered, or seperate? are the lugs on the filter cap used at all, or does everything go to the small ground point at the side (which is what i have at present). this could be my last shot before it goes into hospital

Flames1950

Post by Flames1950 » Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:20 am

You and I posted at the same time so I'm editing my post:
The black ground wires can all share that grounding lug. Each of the two lugs that sort of split the cap in half has a red wire going to it, the other end of each red wire goes to opposite ends of the 10K resistor to the left of the one where we are losing the B+ voltage. The red wires should never join together ate the cap, nor should they join with any of the black wires under there. If they do you've created a short and that's very likely where the B+ voltage is going.
I can try to work up a little graphic if you want but I suck with Adobe Illustrator and it may take some time and some swearing. :wink:

Flames1950

Post by Flames1950 » Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:42 am

Do you have an e-mail address I can send a picture of the correct filter cap wiring under that board to? My webpage hosting software has been retarded the last couple days, it claims I have no page created to load a picture to right now.
Your wiring at the board is correct; I think if we find the wiring to this cap does not match what I'd like to send you then we may have finally found the trouble!

Flames1950

Post by Flames1950 » Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:50 am

Wait, it decided to get of its arse and work for a couple of minutes, here's the pic:

Again, you've got the red wires in the correct places on the board itself; just make sure that they attach to the cap like this. (The red wires can even be switched from one side to the other, as long as only one red wire goes to a lug, and they never connect to a black wire.)

clarkydaz

Post by clarkydaz » Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:52 am

fingers crossed it may be that. my email is KvClr1@aol.com. i have had all the wires bunched together at the small ground point. cheers dude

Flames1950

Post by Flames1950 » Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:57 am

Oooh, you're killin' me with the suspense as to whether it works or not!! LEAVE WORK NOW AND GO PLAY WITH AMPLIFIER. :shock:
This has gotta be the big part of the problem, as soon as one of those red wires is connected to the black ground wires/ground lug you've got a short. There's still a load, even with the tubes pulled, due to the (3) 10K resistors that are still in line, but no wonder they get hot (still funny that the HT fuse wouldn't pop?)
You'll wanna check those 10K's and make sure their values are still close, or you could just replace them on principal if you've got any spares still.

Dax

Post by Dax » Fri Jan 28, 2005 1:45 pm

Hey Flames, how does the 78' sound with the Sozo's? Are you tepted to put in a Metro Board? I put one in both of my amps, and i am planning on putting one in my modded, flogged, raped JCM 800!!! Why would anyone mod a Red JCM 800 Full Stack?????? Although i bought the full stack for $1250.00, not too bad. It was at a pawn shop!! :lol: :lol:

Flames1950

Post by Flames1950 » Fri Jan 28, 2005 3:02 pm

Dax wrote:Hey Flames, how does the 78' sound with the Sozo's? Are you tepted to put in a Metro Board? I put one in both of my amps, and i am planning on putting one in my modded, flogged, raped JCM 800!!! Why would anyone mod a Red JCM 800 Full Stack?????? Although i bought the full stack for $1250.00, not too bad. It was at a pawn shop!! :lol: :lol:
It had one of George's boards in it. But the original PCB was sitting there on my bench crying and lonely, so I thought I'd see how it sounded compared to the PTP with better caps on it. Most of the caps were broken in some from being on George's board so I didn't have to break them in again. I got the wiring kit from George to clean up the wiring and get it back to factory color code, and it sounds great. There's just no point in swapping back.

clarkydaz

Post by clarkydaz » Fri Jan 28, 2005 3:35 pm

ITS ALIVE! ITS ALIVE! ladies and gentleman, the bar is officially open. thanks for all your help guys, flames you've been a star. only just turned it on, its like a completley different amp. loads more sizzle and bite. let the tweakin begin! yes!!!!!

white room

Post by white room » Fri Jan 28, 2005 3:51 pm

Stand back folks or you may get trampled, this dude is off and runnin now!!! :D

I've been following this thread from day one and it has had all of the suspense of a Hollywood movie...it kept my ass biting the seat :)

Kudos to Flames!

Gonzo

Post by Gonzo » Fri Jan 28, 2005 4:19 pm

COOL!

I've been watching this long distance troubleshooting too.

I love happy endings. 8)

Flames1950

Post by Flames1950 » Fri Jan 28, 2005 6:24 pm

clarkydaz wrote:ITS ALIVE! ITS ALIVE! ladies and gentleman, the bar is officially open. thanks for all your help guys, flames you've been a star. only just turned it on, its like a completley different amp. loads more sizzle and bite. let the tweakin begin! yes!!!!!
Thank God, I really hated the idea of us working through this amp this far only to have to pay some jackass big bucks at the amp shop......
If the 10K's that got too hot are doing OK the last thing I'd recommend is still to dime the volume and presence knobs at the same time and listen for a high-pitched squealing or whistling. If you hear it lengthen that purple wire to the presence pot and tuck it under the board as much as possible.
And CRANK THAT BITCH UP. :D :D :D :D

Dax-The-Ax

Post by Dax-The-Ax » Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:46 pm

Holy Shit balls!!! Thats fantastic. Now let's see some pics of the complete amp, front, guts, and let's hear some clips!!!!

Congratulations!! Feels good, huh!!??

Post by Guest » Sat Jan 29, 2005 1:58 pm

Man, the guy can't even stop playing now to talk to his buds!! Ha Ha!! I know the feeling. It really bums me out when one of my amps is down, i am like a fanatic. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: