PTP '69 era design

Info about our boards and kits.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

videocat23

PTP '69 era design

Post by videocat23 » Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:22 pm

ok....so i might have goofed...but i have an idea that could salvage the whole thing....

I bought a board for a PTP '69 era circuit. However, I ordered the wrong one and it's too short. I've tried laying it out like on the Metro CD (the picture showing the parts and locations for the 69 circuit), but I always run out of room for the last 2 caps on the far right (the ones after the diodes). So i thought I might try mounting those on the other side of the board. IS there any reason to think that wouldn't work?
------------------------------------------
"Remember Bart, when participating in sporting events, it's not who wins or loses but how drunk you get..." Homer Simpson

Flames1950

Post by Flames1950 » Wed Feb 02, 2005 3:00 pm

Your big problem with that idea is that those caps are hooked to your B+ secondary on the power transformer. That's a lotta voltage (and noise!!) to run all the way across the amp. You'd probably be better off finding a way to mount them from the standby switch to the grounded center tap of that tranny winding (insulate anything that might touch), or just leave them off, all they do is keep the standby switch from making a big pop when you hit it, and later amps didn't bother with it.
Or there's the homebrew way some joker did it on my '75:

Post by Guest » Wed Feb 02, 2005 6:08 pm

i wouldn't worry about them unless you get popping from the standby switch.