Plexi kit build, Differance in layouts , etc

Info about our boards and kits.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

joepete

Plexi kit build, Differance in layouts , etc

Post by joepete » Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:01 pm

Hello, I am doing the metro 100watt 69 plexi build kit. I have to say that the directions could and should be alot better. I have noticed incorrect photos, contradictions in instructions, and whole steps just not mentioned as if we are all pro techs. Anyhow,I am in that stages of wiring up my board and its a good thing that i mapped the connections out with pencil first because the board supplied to me is not the same as the ones in the layouts etc as there seems to be posts in different places etc. I think I will have to make the connection of the 470k resistor to the center lug normal volume pot without using a post to make the connection which wont look as nice etc. DOes anyone have an updated installation guide with the correct board layout etc?? ALso, on the one layout I noticed that there are no .22uf caps near the diodes on the far right of the board but when using the diagram layout of the board only they are both there, Should I install them or not? Which layout is the correct one to follow? Please help as I dont want to continue if I am doing something wrong. also , what value bright cap should I install on the volume pot to start off with? Which value did the use as stock in 69-70 era? Please help with these 3 to 4 questions as I really need it.Thanks alot

toner

Re: Plexi kit build, Differance in layouts , etc

Post by toner » Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:45 pm

joepete wrote:...I have to say that the directions could and should be alot better...
I agree. The 100w directions should be revised. However, most questions have already been answered here in the forum.
joepete wrote:...I think I will have to make the connection of the 470k resistor to the center lug normal volume pot without using a post to make the connection which wont look as nice etc...
Why?

The caps near the diodes are "snubber caps". Most people think they aren't necessary with new diodes. More info:
http://forum.metroamp.com/viewtopic.php?t=9054
http://forum.metroamp.com/viewtopic.php?t=8669

Search for "snubber caps" to find more.

Flames1950

Post by Flames1950 » Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:01 pm

Stock '69-'70 Lead amps used a whopping 5000pF bright cap in many cases -- the volume hits "2" and your highs/high mids are basically already at full blast!!!

Here's a gut shot of my recently-sold Metro '69 Super Bass build, only one difference from the Super Lead at the far right of the board:

That was before I laced the wiring harness.

Also check out Roger Cook's "Amp Archives" site -- it has loads of pictures of both originals and clones for you to use as a guide. The addy is in his signature and in a sticky at the top of one of the forums (can't remember which one!!!!)

el34on11

Post by el34on11 » Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:00 pm

Flames1950 wrote:Stock '69-'70 Lead amps used a whopping 5000pF bright cap in many cases -- the volume hits "2" and your highs/high mids are basically already at full blast!!!

Here's a gut shot of my recently-sold Metro '69 Super Bass build, only one difference from the Super Lead at the far right of the board:

That was before I laced the wiring harness.

Also check out Roger Cook's "Amp Archives" site -- it has loads of pictures of both originals and clones for you to use as a guide. The addy is in his signature and in a sticky at the top of one of the forums (can't remember which one!!!!)
Flames......................that SB looks awesome........I have one question for you about the snubber caps..................The one side connects to the standby switch but where does the other end connect???.............I am going to use them in my 100watt build which is in progress..............I have not seen any layouts that us them....... :roll:

Thanks
Derrick

don't meen to hijack this thread.........Sorry........back to the topic at hand....... :P
LesPauls and Marshall's

Flames1950

Post by Flames1950 » Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:39 pm

There's a red wire from the other end of those caps to the ground terminal of the first mains cap can (lower right can in the grouping of four.)

el34on11

Post by el34on11 » Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:30 am

Flames1950 wrote:There's a red wire from the other end of those caps to the ground terminal of the first mains cap can (lower right can in the grouping of four.)
Thanks Flames.............. :D

Derrick
LesPauls and Marshall's