turrets keep falling out!!!

Info about our boards and kits.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

videocat23

turrets keep falling out!!!

Post by videocat23 » Fri Feb 25, 2005 2:06 pm

ok. So I drilled my own board using a 1/8" drill bit for the holes. I got that turret tool from hoffman, and I've been using it with the hammer method. However, some of the turrets are falling out after install. Any ideas to keep these things in there?
------------------------------------------
"Remember Bart, when participating in sporting events, it's not who wins or loses but how drunk you get..." Homer Simpson

VelvetGeorge
Site Owner
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by VelvetGeorge » Fri Feb 25, 2005 3:18 pm

The key is making the right size hole, I've found. Some turrets I use a metric bit for. Others I use an engineering numbered size.

If you have a micrometer, measure the diameter of several turrets. They will vary by a few thousands. Then go to a tool store and get a bit that's just a few thousandths larger.
That will help.

Then, you've got to stake em nice and tight.

George
Check out Plexi Replicas for my personal amp builds...

Post by Guest » Mon Mar 28, 2005 9:28 am

yes,remeber your drills are not acurate.they will allways drill a little over size!
stan

Trem Abuser

Post by Trem Abuser » Mon Mar 28, 2005 7:58 pm

I've found that a little solder on the top side of the offending turret keeps those little bastards from falling out. :P

videocat23

Post by videocat23 » Mon Mar 28, 2005 8:02 pm

i eventually got them to work. I just had to stop being a "nancy" with the turret tool and the hammer. I thought if I hit the board too hard I would crack it, but that vintage swirl is tought stuff! although, I sitll cracked one part of, but that's only because my aim was off when i started hammering.
"Remember Bart, when participating in sporting events, it's not who wins or loses but how drunk you get..." Homer Simpson

Billy B

Post by Billy B » Mon Mar 28, 2005 9:16 pm

Drill presses or large C clamps are best for those turrets.

tooloud
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by tooloud » Mon Mar 28, 2005 9:34 pm

I bought a drill press when I started making boards to press the turrets in. plus you can drill shit with it too.I made the tools for pressing the turrets I took a bolt and ground a point on it. the other piece you can get some aluminum bar stock and drill what ever size hole you need to push the turret down.I have bought turrets from different sources and they are different sizes so I had to remake the push down tool.....

videocat23

Post by videocat23 » Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:20 pm

yeah...i had a similar tool (be careful on the thoughts!!). one side ground to a point, and the other with a hole. I placed the point side on the floor, place the board with the turret on top of it, and then hit the top of thoe hole piece