which board for VH tone?

Info about our boards and kits.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

evhtone

which board for VH tone?

Post by evhtone » Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:27 pm

For a reissue plexi, i want to put a PTP board in, and a new transformer. Which board should i get? a 69 split cathode one? I want to get very close to eddies old tone. And what kind of transformer should i get?Sorry if this topic has come up before, i just found this site yesterday. Also, is there anything else i can do to this RI to make it sound more VHish. Oya who makes the best mater volume kits? Is there any i can install myself?

Billy Batz

Post by Billy Batz » Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:10 pm

The consensus seems to be a) the 69 board with a cathode bypass on V2a at either .68u or 330u, and, b) a Mercury Magnetics Dagnall clone OT. Getting an MM PT may not be a bad idea as many of their 100W PTs have multiple HV secondary taps which would allow you to use lower voltages like using a variac.

Its also been said many times that a small 6-10 band pedal graphic EQ is good for EVH. Something like an MXR EQ. Youd put it before the amp in a gentle frown shape so the mids are emphasised a bit the the signal going in gets a bit of a boost.

Hows at?

Actually, I think George sells an EVH specific board but I think its based on the club amp which is more like a JTM100 which will have less gain and more bass.

tooloud
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by tooloud » Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:15 pm

the MV is fun to play around the house but to get the VH sound you will have to Krank it.......

Billy Batz

Post by Billy Batz » Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:33 pm

Ph yeah. Attenuators a must.

evhtone

Post by evhtone » Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:16 pm

thanks, i saved that info to my computer. This question is sort of off topic but, about how much does a used reissue plexi cost? And how much do think i could got for selling a brand new, mint condition 5150 II?

Billy Batz

Post by Billy Batz » Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:26 pm

I dont know about the 5150 II but the last I checked (and this is about 2 years ago) the used 1959SLPs are about $600-$900 on evilbay. Your looking at an extra $3500-$600 in upgrades depending on what you wanna do. Marshalls havin that price hike so you wanna get one ASAP if your gonna do it ever.

I bought a Budda SD30 back when they hiked their prices and the evilbay price for used SD30s went up with it. I was like what the fuck. You parasites. Your gonna get what you payed for this thing because the manufacturer is chaning prices on new amps which are different from what you have. Im sure itll be the same with Marshall at some point.